How much to spend?

46 after the loss of my wife to cancer in 2016.

Only Porsche but currently 6 cars including two historic racing cars and classic motorbike. Everytime I save up some cash, it's an easy decision to buy another vehicle. Who knows if I'll be here tomorrow and I can't take it with me anyway!

47-48 years old 11 or 12 years ago, I bought my 1st being a LHD 912 shitbox that needed a resto for $10k after I sold a split Kombi for $18k at a time when you could buy a converted import for $20k.

Spent 3 years restoring it mostly myself, with help from a couple of mates now n then when I had the cash, which ended up costing me $28,500 including original purchase price. Got it rego'd and hated it, so as values had gone mental during that time, and although I hadn't planned on selling, I sold it for a big enough profit within 2 weeks which allowed me to buy my now 911 outright and pocket some cash. 

Backdated it myself with no prior experience which cost around $2800 and about a week of work, yet sold all the original bits for just over $3000.

In effect, its basically cost me nothing to own the car I've wanted for 40 years, and I've very rarely spent anything on it apart from a Wevo shifter and a Supercheap sports steering wheel

Always bought at times when money was available (in the bank account), never borrowed for these things and the family's needs come first.

Before Porsche's had many Beetles and Kombis so was natural progression, first Porsche over 20yrs ago at 40 something, $25k 2.7 911, second $31k SC, third $25k 2.7 911 (the last time it was the standard rate for one), fourth $95k 981 Cayman S manual (as the pandemic hit), fifth $65k SC (very straight but in need of everything and now sorted, still own), sixth  $189k 2007 997 Turbo (it may go as I don't need two 911s and the SC is now insane)

Always bought carefully and maintained the cars to a high level, usually sold at times financial situation deemed it necessary then into it again when possible, so far have not gone backwards too much along the way, the one massive increase we experienced has put me in front but that won't happen again. The investment thing is bollocks, buy to drive and enjoy the engineering.

But how much to spend?

First figure out where you fit in the Porsche world, as in choice of car, get as educated as possible on your choice then spend the least possible on the best example you can find. Not very helpful I know, but buy on condition unless you enjoy the process of getting the car into good order and doing as much of that yourself. But don't buy with borrowed money if possible. For me it was always been a case of how much have I actually got and does that equal what I want, and do I have permission. 

Turned 60 during Covid, sold everything but the house. Paid out the Mortgage threw what I was allowed to into super and spent most of the rest on a car.

Spends as much as you can afford and what you won't miss if its out of your account.

Everyone is in a different position

On 13/04/2024 at 12:07, Spets87 said:

I'm curious how people decide how much to spend on their Porsche toys. Did you have % figure of net worth/ yearly income? Or did you wait for a milestone like paying off a house etc?

How long's a piece of string!  "Generally speaking" .... If happily married, as much as she lets you or as much as you can get away with .... If on the way out or single, go for it! Whatever amount you can live with for heaps of fun and a loss OR gain of 20%

I was 21 when I bought my first Porsche, I couldn’t afford it then and not much has changed since, as I can barely afford them now………….you’ll never have enough money! 

The saving grace is that if you buy well you may not suffer the same level of depreciation as most other makes. 

Health scares tend to drag things into focus too. Had surgery to remove some skin cancer at 32 and then a child hot on the back of that that I thought we would lose for 18 months. Those two things jolted my brain into realising that my 'I need to have x before I do y' life plan was pretty stupid.

Enjoy it now because tomorrow is promised to noone.

Just coming at this from a different angle with a theory that owning an expensive, desirable marque can potentially lead to a couple of things:

1) It keeps one motivated to do well in life in order to keep your pride and joy in commission (or add others if you so wish).

2) It puts you in touch with successful individuals from whom you might be able to learn a thing or two in order to further your career, business, income, wealth etc just by means of gaining a perspective that you might not have access to in other circles. 

Certainly not an intentional reason to go into Porsche ownership but they’re a couple of organic ideas to ponder. This is obviously a financial type discussion so I won’t even mention the friends you make along the way.

1 hour ago, spiller said:

I won’t even mention the friends you make along the way.

This for me has been the unexpected... I've found myself in some real pinch yourself moments thinking to myself "how the F&^% did I end up here again?" 

A real conduit to some life experiences if you let it be! 

I’ve pined for a porker since I was about 7. Set a goal to get my first by age 30, but passed on an SC at 28 and bought a new WRX STi instead. Over the next 8 years one halved in value, the other tripled, leaving me to jump on a 996 at 36 as a bit of a consolation Porsche.

I no longer have the 996, but a family-hauling Porsche instead.  My craving won’t be satisfied until I have a G-series in the garage. 

5 hours ago, spiller said:

1) It keeps one motivated to do well in life in order to keep your pride and joy in commission 

Well I f..ked that up on both points! 😅

I bought my 87 G50 at 34 on the very day my first daughter was born (3 daughters now), 16 years ago. I was literally on the phone from in the hospital room finalising negotiations haha.  I scoured Australia and bought the very best I could find.  I thought what the hell, you only live once - well 3 times in my case. Glad I got in 16 years ago.

An 88 928S4 has been and gone since then (awesome cruiser) but never selling my 87 Carrera.

Great question... Depends on what model your heart is set on and how much you can part with without impacting the other important things in your life.

In my case, I had set myself the target of buying my first Porsche by the age of 35 as I wanted to track it before I was going through a midlife crisis 😁😁 What's worse was that my heart was set on a GT3. Everything fell into place after a moment of clarity in my mid 20s when I purchased an investment property with the expressed purpose of flipping it for my dream car once paid off. A genius move for saving the funds quickly (with capital gains), a silly move financially once flipped (cars depreciate) 😁

The 13 years of memories, ownership experience and friendships are irreplaceable and worth every cent spent. Until the next midlife crisis for me!...