Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Unfortunately not yet! Have to get through solo parenting three young kids this weekend then work out logistics with heavy work week. Learned a fair bit from the seller so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Morpheus ..... the Gulf blue backdate? Have you been successful in actually talking to the seller?? 

On 26/01/2018 at 7:31 AM, Peter M said:

Gus,

The black paint on top of the strut towers is actually bitumen.  It is applied at the factory as a sealant.

The Autoart Engineering sticker in the engine bay probably indicates who has serviced it.  I don't know Autoart well enough to say if it is likely to have been involved in the wide body conversion.  If you are serious you could call them and ask about the car as they may know it well, especially if they're the ones who replaced the cam oil lines recently.  (No concerns but they look new in the photos)

Thanks @Peter M . Hadn’t actually seen that before with the other SC’s I’d looked at. 

Have spoken to seller .... trying to go have a look at it.

6 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Show me where you can get an engine and trans for under $10k like he says. I would be all over it!

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first P car, it was going to be a Cayman (after driving one while in the US i was hooked!) but recently i was told by my wife that i will need to consider transporting a junior!

So looking at 911 996's as being a 3rd/4th car for occasional daily driving and weekend drives which the kid could come along. Current toy is a Locost (Think Caterham) and the wife wont go near it.

Was looking at this one if the price is right, the color i am sure is not everyone's cup of tea but will wrap it if it does not grow on me. Any prior knowledge of this car? I have it going in for a PPI next week before flying to up (i am in Melbourne) to check it out.

Could not find it by searching the forum.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxley/cars-vans-utes/1999-porsche-911-carrera-1-cabriolet-blue-5-speed-automatic-o-drive-convertible/1166501965

Thanks,

Taffy

6 hours ago, Jim45 said:

1 hour ago, Taffy said:

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first P car, it was going to be a Cayman (after driving one while in the US i was hooked!) but recently i was told by my wife that i will need to consider transporting a junior!

So looking at 911 996's as being a 3rd/4th car for occasional daily driving and weekend drives which the kid could come along. Current toy is a Locost (Think Caterham) and the wife wont go near it.

Was looking at this one if the price is right, the color i am sure is not everyone's cup of tea but will wrap it if it does not grow on me. Any prior knowledge of this car? I have it going in for a PPI next week before flying to up (i am in Melbourne) to check it out.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxley/cars-vans-utes/1999-porsche-911-carrera-1-cabriolet-blue-5-speed-automatic-o-drive-convertible/1166501965

Thanks,

Taffy

Welcome Taffy, 

Refer to the red coupe on Gumtree quoted above. Much better value on the face of it (man/coupe) over a cab/tip. 

2 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

You lowballer Mike Related image It's worth 10k! .. It's not much better than the crappy slantnose he's selling as well - önly 65k, valued in the 6 figures

2 hours ago, hugh said:

Welcome Taffy, 

Refer to the red coupe on Gumtree quoted above. Much better value on the face of it (man/coupe) over a cab/tip. 

Thanks Hugh, A little confused i understand Man/Coup vs Auto/Cab value equation but 265 vs 135km would be off putting?

Cheers,

Taffy

16 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Wasnt this car for sale in Melbourne last year? Cant recall the price, I am thinking 80s or 90s. Pics at the Throttle shop show Cairns paperwork

Nice flip job if it sells

This is a US car, just showing as a comparison to our prices.

5 hours ago, Taffy said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Taffy

Welcome to the board Taffy. The 996 are looking at looks neat from my glance at the pics. Just consider the following:

- Cabs are generally priced significantly lower than coupes, in all 911 models. They also tend to be more difficult to sell when the time comes. If you aren't specifically looking for a cab I would encourage you to keep looking.

- I quite like unusual Porsche colours, however personally I'm not a fan of this particular green (green is actually my fav colour, just much darker) if you're not a fan of the colour you might find you're not alone.

- The interior colour is probably one of the less liked 996 colours.

- Man gearboxes are more sought after, especially as so many 996 and on are autos. If you want an auto that's fine, it just affect life at resale time.

Combining least desirable body, a unusual colour, less favoured interior colour and auto, you are possibly looking at a car that has a very niche market. If you really like the car, then ensure you negotiate strongly. If you are more attracted to the car because of the price, I would keep looking. I tend to agree with Hugh that I'd chase the red one of gumtree unless you are specifically chasing an auto/ cab/ unique colour. 

As far as high kms. As cars get older it is more important to purchase on condition as opposed to kms. Also keep an eye out for appeal come resale time as once you catch the bug you'll want to try other things on the menu.

On 24 January 2018 at 1:39 PM, WGA said:

Am becoming increasingly interested in the 1988 3.3 Clubsport.

Does anybody know if they were new sold in Australia or if any have been privately imported ?

I understand 2 and there has been some privately imported since.  If you have a look around page 501 of this thread there is some chat that may interest you.

6 hours ago, Morpheus said:

@Bluegus73 the Zag one? Nah, I must have angered the gods - my original budget got destroyed by wife, unplanned upgrades around the house and life in general. The backdate blue zag is out of reach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that feeling!!

Have been trying to get in contact with the seller but absolutely no response. Can’t want to sell it that badly!!

39 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Combining least desirable body, a unusual colour, less favoured interior colour and auto, you are possibly looking at a car that has a very niche market. If you really like the car, then ensure you negotiate strongly. If you are more attracted to the car because of the price, I would keep looking. I tend to agree with Hugh that I'd chase the red one of gumtree unless you are specifically chasing an auto/ cab/ unique colour. 

As far as high kms. As cars get older it is more important to purchase on condition as opposed to kms. Also keep an eye out for appeal come resale time as once you catch the bug you'll want to try other things on the menu.

Thankyou for the detailed response. Gives me alot to think about.

Will see the green (taking the wife for a 2nd opinion) cab in person after the PPI, will be sure to factor all the above in, price discussed is pretty good vs what i have seen the market do over the past 6 months. For me the only factor is the colour, if it was replacing the weekend warrior a manual coupe would the target, but this may end my daily for abit and the wife will likely want to drive it which is a good thing. A good reason to justify a manual Cayman in the garage too :).

If its not my cup of tea in person will be WA mid Feb with work so could arrange a look at the red car.

Appreciate the well thought out replies, better then a lot of forums.

cheers

Taffy

11 hours ago, 901er said:

This is the part where you wire the cash into his bank account, call Ceva and nervously wait until it gets unloaded in your driveway 

RE: the Red 996 in WA with 265ks:

The interior does look VERY worn, especially the steering wheel. I dont think that interior colour ages too well. (The crimson exterior colour is OK by me - but I really like yellow 911s which are NOT popular!) Could be a Californication  DD 911:rolleyes:

The big question has got to be - WHY is he selling it after only owning it for a short time??? Assuming he is a new owner, what has he found?

1 hour ago, Bluegus73 said:

I know that feeling!!

Have been trying to get in contact with the seller but absolutely no response. Can’t want to sell it that badly!!

It's bizarre isn't it?  I've been emailing a guy with a 997 for sale . . . total radio silence.  Why bother to put up a bloody advertisement if you're just going to ignore potential buyers.

4 hours ago, Taffy said:

Thanks Hugh, A little confused i understand Man/Coup vs Auto/Cab value equation but 265 vs 135km would be off putting?

Cheers,

Taffy

Wonder how many of the KM's have been added with the new engine. "High country k's. Motor was replaced about 11 years ago by previous owner".

So body may be carrying 265k km of wear but engine could be significantly less.

Still I'd be checking all those little things - AOS / Starter Motor / Expansion tank / Rotors / Radiators / Coil-packs etc etc.....

Jim.