Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

If you were at the Brisbane Cars N Coffee on Saturday you may have noticed this one

http://www.ecurieinvestments.com.au/1978-1971-backdate-911-sc-st

No Affiliation

What is a back date worth now? Earlier in the year consensus seemed to be equivalent value of a good - exceptional donor car, + - the value of the mods . Irrespective of the quality and or components used; are they the sum of their parts or Is a backdate now worth 901 money?

Goes hard and sounds damn good for a CIS car?

Well, now, that's just rude!

He sounds ok as a copywriter, for a car salesman.

My theory is a backdate value = cost of good car + cost of good parts - modified factor - dodgy work quotient

Not too many years to go before all the backdated SCs and Carreras start losing their backdated gear and fitting the impact bumpers and black trim again....or then again, maybe not, who knows.  964 updates on early cars are well out of favour in the marketplace it would seem.

Car seems a nice proposition though...but overpriced.

I don't understand why people get crucified for bad photos? You serious? Call the owner and go look at it... 

Because bad photos moes well not be taken at all. What they tell you is the owner couldn't give a stuff, and a lot of conclusions are drawn from that.

I'm not going to jump on a plane to check out a car in another state on the basis of photos like that, and buying a 10 year old $100k car is a *very* niche market - for the sake of taking 2 extra minutes to take decent photos you've just limited your buyers in what is already an extremely limited market.

Because bad photos moes well not be taken at all. What they tell you is the owner couldn't give a stuff, and a lot of conclusions are drawn from that.

I'm not going to jump on a plane to check out a car in another state on the basis of photos like that, and buying a 10 year old $100k car is a *very* niche market - for the sake of taking 2 extra minutes to take decent photos you've just limited your buyers in what is already an extremely limited market.

Right...sames goes for houses.  Bad/limited photos = assumption that the rest is not worth photographing.

Any car enthusiast worth their socket set always has a number of good quality images of their car.....always.

It's true that bargains can be buried under bad photography and ad-writing...but that's only useful if the car is near you.  Checking out a Porsche properly takes time and money, and for many people, they'll move on when they see a bad writeup and bad photography.  It limits your audience, and limiting your audience limits your price.

I see the value in good photo's lets not get that wrong, but I just don't agree with you guys.... too many times I have seen a car present well in photo's only to turn up to view it and its a bucket of proverbial s. 

I think you can more or less get a good gauge on a car by talking to the owner for a few minutes... as they say you buy the owner most the time. I know guys that baby the hell out of their cars and don't skimp a dime yet they hopeless to use a computer or camera. 

What happened to the days of reading just a few words in the classifieds and picking up the phone? 

Right...sames goes for houses. Bad/limited photos = assumption that the rest is not worth photographing.

Any car enthusiast worth their socket set always has a number of good quality images of their car.....always.

It's true that bargains can be buried under bad photography and ad-writing...but that's only useful if the car is near you. Checking out a Porsche properly takes time and money, and for many people, they'll move on when they see a bad writeup and bad photography. It limits your audience, and limiting your audience limits your price.

It's also worth considering it may be intentional. The car won't sell quickly but you can tell the wife you are trying to get rid of it.

Confound and damn this abomination ... The Internet... What happened we all became fat lazy and easily made cynical...

agreed I loved winkling through the sat morning classifieds and pulling a gem...

so the SC backdate at ecurie I like, though out of interest what is been paid for an immaculate 78sc?

When I am selling something, I always try to take quality photos... yes, I believe it makes a difference.

But when it comes to buying something, I don't need to be "sold".So whilst I do like all the nice photos, if the advert reads well and it's something I am after, then I will call and suss out the owner and go from there.

With cars like Porsche, they simply are not as common as Corolla and Camry, so you tend to have to travel to inspect.

This is something I have done a lot in the last couple of years. 

The flipside to good photos, is that most cars look better in the photos than in person. Most cars I have flown to inspect, are a let down compared to the photos and the verbal description.

Working at a toyota dealership, I do this most every day.. the photos that customers send me for their car from far north qld, always look immaculate... but you cannot see the chips, scratches, hail, dents, corrosion, etc from a photo..... 

I say, if you like the sound of what is described, and you like the conversation you had with the owner, and you are serious about buying the car, then jump on a plane.

But that silver car from ecurie looks real sweet... bring a rhd aussie del car is a bonus. 

Is it worth as much as a gen 901? Probably...

I think if it was $60k then it's a goer.

It sounded fantastic as it turned into Turbo Drive.. i was pulling out at the instersection.. anyone know what exhaust sys is running on it?

I see the value in good photo's lets not get that wrong, but I just don't agree with you guys.... too many times I have seen a car present well in photo's only to turn up to view it and its a bucket of proverbial s. 

I think you can more or less get a good gauge on a car by talking to the owner for a few minutes... as they say you buy the owner most the time. I know guys that baby the hell out of their cars and don't skimp a dime yet they hopeless to use a computer or camera. 

What happened to the days of reading just a few words in the classifieds and picking up the phone? 

tis how i got my datsun- average photos in bad light, ad on gumtree, looked worse than it did. went and looked at it in person, immaculate car that would have been gone in 10 min otherwise

But that silver car from ecurie looks real sweet... bring a rhd aussie del car is a bonus. 

Is it worth as much as a gen 901? Probably...

I think if it was $60k then it's a goer.

It sounded fantastic as it turned into Turbo Drive.. i was pulling out at the instersection.. anyone know what exhaust sys is running on it?

50-60k max imo, underneath it is a 3.0L SC after all..

the white backdate is 60k and has a 3.2.

Right... Bad photos = good for buying.....which means .... Bad for selling.

So it depends on which angle you come at it from. The question is why do sellers put up bad photos when it will limit their audience?

It's all very well to be nostalgic for the old days but if you want to get top dollar for your car a good set of photos will assist in increasing the pool of buyers which will either increase the sale price or decrease the time taken to sell. Especially for a $100k sports car which has a vr small pool of buyers to begin with.

If advertise 964 C2 or 3.2 G50 with only one photo of dark, foggy, rainy, stinky, night still get 1365 calls.

If advertise the above ..... 1365 buyers ....

If advertise GT3 ...... 10 buyers .....

If advertise GT3 with crap photos ....... 2 buyers .......

Two years - the maximum period of satisfaction derived from buying a car that looks like something it's not (ie. a backdate) because you really didn't know what car you wanted in the first place  ;)

And can you really imagine EVERY conversation about the car going like, "well actually it's not a '73. It's a backdate. Yeah, so they take a later car and change it to look like an earlier car because, well... I don't really know."

That'd get tired pretty quickly. 

Think about it - have you ever known anyone to keep a backdated car and cherish it for years?

Two years, for the novelty to wear off.

Still only need 1 buyer at the end of it all!

True, but being a market I watch, its not uncommon for GT3s to sit for 9 months, even if they are priced appropriately, aren't bent, good service history, yada yada yada. It really is a tiny pool of buyers, which is why the impatient sellers get so reamed by dealers on GT3s if they go to trade. Not uncommon for a $90k trade to pop back up as a $150k car. I know you get reamed on all trades, but GT3s just seem to result in a no lube baseball bat punish fest on trades because the dealer knows he could be stuck with it for months, regardless of price.

So the point is, you want to make your GT3 as saleable as possible if you want to sell it. There are always 20 for sale and probably only 10 possible buyers at any given time.

Two years - the maximum period of satisfaction derived from buying a car that looks like something it's not (ie. a backdate) because you really didn't know what car you wanted in the first place  ;)

And can you really imagine EVERY conversation about the car going like, "well actually it's not a '73. It's a backdate. Yeah, so they take a later car and change it to look like an earlier car because, well... I don't really know."

That'd get tired pretty quickly. 

Think about it - have you ever known anyone to keep a backdated car and cherish it for years?

i'd be happy with a backdate.. it's all the same basic car anyway! a few panels here and there, who cares if it isn't original :D

Well I'm coming up to two years and love the beast more then ever. For me I look at it as a Hotrod that I can modify and enhance without worrying too much about being "correct".

My thinking is if I get over the RS look then I might change it to ST, no qualms about "ruining" it and changing back to what it was.

I suppose it's horses for courses.

Backdate to me is a good option. You get the long bonnet style with extra power but minus the stupid price tag early cars are fetching. The only people who are likely to grill you and make you feel shite are the purist porsche snobs who are best avoided anyway. Everybody else is going to love it. Plus you can hotrod the hell out of them without dilemma!

Disappointing how almost every for sale car with the unfortunate luck to end up on this forum gets shredded.

Backdate to me is a good option. You get the long bonnet style with extra power but minus the stupid price tag early cars are fetching. The only people who are likely to grill you and make you feel shite are the purist porsche snobs who are best avoided anyway. Everybody else is going to love it. Plus you can hotrod the hell out of them without dilemma!

Disappointing how almost every for sale car with the unfortunate luck to end up on this forum gets shredded.

Yeah. I personally would buy a backdate given the price point and love the long hood look. I'd take a Jack Olsen car over many original cars