Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I am sure I remember seeing that Cayenne for sale off and on for some time now and at ever deceasing prices. The advertiser has been a Gumtree member since 2012 so I doubt this is a Phishing add.

Maybe a PPSR check and thorough PPI might shed light on why the "Urgent Sale" and an $18900 price tag.

I've also been watching the prices of these fall over the last 12 months ....

As Edgy said, there are plenty for sale in the low 20's so starting to see them sub $20k is no real surprise .

The question is ...... how low can they go? .......

assuming it's not just about to grenade itself i can't see why it wouldn't be a great daily driver

Big assumption!

Thing is - with cars like this - it's not that the engine/gearbox are about to let go.  That's probably not going to happen (I don't know of any long-term issues with the Porsche V8s) - but it's the death by a thousand cuts syndrome.   Things like sensors, gaskets, clips, locks, pipes - all those little bits which are all buried beneath 5 hours worth of removal/reassembly - and can drive you nuts when trying to keep a DD on the road.  Then there are big ticket items like struts/shocks, suspension bushes, brake replacements etc etc.  Or engine parts like timing chain tensioners or sump gaskets or MAF or something like that.  If you can spanner it yourself it's probably OK but if you're trying to get to work or having to pay someone to fix things because you don't have time, it could eat you alive.

It's got a ton of kms and is reaching the end of its design life.  It's not an AC 911 where you can drop the engine in an afternoon, and troubleshoot with a test light and a box of fuses - and where the next guy will pay you what you paid for it.  It's a VW SUV with a nice interior and a big engine, and was designed to appeal to leasing buyers with an eye for the badge and an intention to turn it over in 3 years when the warranty ran out.  It's not designed for trackside fiddling or long term durability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cayenne and I'm tempted to replace the family wagon with one.  But I would have my eyes wide open if I were kicking tyres.

sure it's not an air cooled 911, but diagnostic computers have come on so much that 90% of the time it can tell you what's wrong.

I'd only ever buy one on the basis i was going to work on it myself, and work out some way to get PIWIS to work or buy an equivalent

it's still a lot of car for the money and I think we're yet to see what the design age is (if the V8 is anything like the 928 V8 they're virtually bulletproof)

The fuel bill would be crippling. Diesel would be a better option.

I've started a conversation on this topic over in the four-door section hoping some cayenne peeps might chime in on running costs for older models. Agree on the fuel thing, daily V8 shopping trolley would be a killer. I'm crazy but I ain't no fool!

That's quite deceiving .... it's only when you really read the advert that you realise that it's a gt2 with a badge .....

Why do people do that. The car is a GT2 Clubsport, an awesome car in anyone's book and then he has to go and pretend it is an RS which IMHO makes it so lame... It reminds me in my earlier car days with the Skyline guys putting a GTR badge on a GTSt... Lame.

sure it's not an air cooled 911, but diagnostic computers have come on so much that 90% of the time it can tell you what's wrong.

And to fix usually costs 90% of your wallet contents.

Long term Cayenne/X5 owners please post service bills here so the real cost of ownership is known.

Lots of really stressed looking parents at my son's private school tells the tale...

And to fix usually costs 90% of your wallet contents.

Long term Cayenne/X5 owners please post service bills here so the real cost of ownership is known.

Lots of really stressed looking parents at my son's private school tells the tale...

maybe post it over here, so we can let this thread get back on topic and take our dirty Cayenne talk elsewhere