Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Sorry if already posted (I haven't read the whole thread)... While it's not a Porsche, it's very much part of the family (both in the VAG sense but also the Porsche involvement in the development of these. Note the brakes too!) and fits the "interesting" category pretty well I think!!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2361605

cp4672237476595982272.jpg?height=700&asp

964 mirrors?? Cup wheels. Front blinkers also look familiar

Yesterday I went in to the panel shop across the road from my office to see the guy about fixing a little bit of rust.  He has a red SC targa in there, which, as it turns out, is for sale.  Red duco of a reasonable standard, with red upholstery, a tail, and what I think were cup wheels.   Needs a little work.  Don't know if it's Aust delivered or import / conversion.  I didn't get any details, but if anyone is genuinely interested PM me and I'll ring him (not back in my office for a couple of weeks now) and see if he can put you in touch with the owner - out of courtesy for the business owner so he's not fielding calls about someone else's car.

No connection to the car, owner, or panel shop.

PM sent

That link led me to this:

1980 928 'Custom'

%24_20.JPG

Includes the rare 'twin aerial' mod

%24_20.JPG

go buy it at http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kurunjang/cars-vans-utes/1980-porsche-928-coupe/1079285311 - only $18k

still Gumtree diving

Non-runner LHD 77 for $30k

%24_20.JPG

Looks clean enough and has decent cork interior.  Doesn't say what's wrong.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/keilor-east/cars-vans-utes/1977-porsche-911-coupe/1082541869

Same seller is also selling xj6 in the background with (natch) a 350 chev conversion.

That link led me to this:

1980 928 'Custom'

%24_20.JPG

Includes the rare 'twin aerial' mod

%24_20.JPG

go buy it at http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kurunjang/cars-vans-utes/1980-porsche-928-coupe/1079285311 - only $18k

still Gumtree diving

Non-runner LHD 77 for $30k

%24_20.JPG

Looks clean enough and has decent cork interior.  Doesn't say what's wrong.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/keilor-east/cars-vans-utes/1977-porsche-911-coupe/1082541869

Same seller is also selling xj6 in the background with (natch) a 350 chev conversion.

engine shat itself

well, let's just be thankful for small mercies that the 350 didn't come out of the jag and into the back of the Porsche.

$30k for a non-runner, non-rego'd LHD is a bit steep, I think.  But then I don't know what a fair price would be.  $20k?  At that price you could do a lot of engine work and not go too far underwater, assuming $40k-ish is about the going rate for a good leftie here.

Dunno , but this statement should send a big shiver through all those newbie investors; these cars are not bulletproof say the pros.

it received a top end engine rebuild in May 2014 at 140,558 klms and thus won't have that big ticket item hanging over the next owners head ( $15 - $20k ). 

I thought it was common knowledge that the 964 engine was more demanding than the 'ol 3.2 it replaced.  Issues like leaks and, well, leaks.  Didn't they not have a head gasket or something?

I guess it depends on how thick the oil was?

DEPOSIT TAKEN - PLEASE NO ENQUIRIES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Is this the first $100k+ C3.2?

As for bulletproof, surely the C3.2 engine would have to be Porsche's hardiest engine in their history?  No, I didn't say leak proof...

Dunno , but this statement should send a big shiver through all those newbie investors; these cars are not bulletproof say the pros.

Now Tazzie, you're not starting to take the word of salemen's are you?

Edited by Peter M

DEPOSIT TAKEN - PLEASE NO ENQUIRIES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Is this the first $100k+ C3.2?

might be right Pete. Certainly advertised. This was a good looking machine though and colour combo will always be popular. I am sure the engine rebuild was 'preventative' rather than truely needed. Makes sence if cars are getting good money and it helps dispel old car worries to get it sold with a warranty from the mechanic. 

Now Tazzie, you're not starting to take the word of salemen's are you?

Do your own research before accepting the salesman's mechanic's advice you actually need a "top end refresh"!

Or,  trade up to a 928 , where 160,000km is regarded as "just run in" by those in the know ;) And rebuilds generally don't happen unless the timing belt service is neglected (but only in the later models)

I thought it was common knowledge that the 964 engine was more demanding than the 'ol 3.2 it replaced.  Issues like leaks and, well, leaks.  Didn't they not have a head gasket or something?

I guess it depends on how thick the oil was?

Yes you are right Coastr ,The early 964 motor had no head caskets, Untill around 9/9/1990 model year it depends on your engine no if you have the updated heads but most 964's with service history have been updated years ago and a good 964 motor "sweats" as they say :)