Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Sorry for the rant but there just seems to be a lot of 'talk' on this particular 'hot rod' topic and I feel the need to give it some clarity. We are taking Porsche and modifying them does not come easily or cheaply and if anything they will be less and less of it as a result. 

Peace. :)

I blame the VW community.

Nobody (or hardly anybody) hotrods a classic Ferrari or proper Porsche e.g. 928

Peace , love , flowers etc 

I blame the VW community.

Nobody (or hardly anybody) hotrods a classic Ferrari or proper Porsche e.g. 928

Peace , love , flowers etc 

Don't get me wrong Tazzie I'm all for modifying, in fact I generally encourage it - I just think people underestimate the associated costs to do it properly, especially to cars like these that warrant it. 

In many ways it's what I think makes Porsche so appealing unlike Ferrari crowds...............

I think you're right Hugh. One of the key things is the more you modify a car it can narrow the field of buyers. 

The blue car in WA is an example of this. A car that you can't build for the money but might sit for a while waiting for a buyer for no other reason than not that many people looking for this "type" of car.

I think the term 'hot rod' is getting used and thrown around a little too loosely..................

The scale of modification can vary so much in terms of the scope, depth and quality of the build - its not a case of comparing apples with apples. The orange Autohaus car looked like a nice quality restoration/back date with a worked motor, price was obviously right as it has now sold. 

The blue RSR rep on the other hand has had a whole heap more in terms of $$$ and development thrown at it - impossible to comprehend or appreciate without viewing the car or taking it for a drive. I believe its currently second in the overall WA Porsche championship (open) but am happy to be corrected on that, either way properly fast car even when compared to current GT3's etc. etc. 

Anyone serious about buying or building a 'hot rod' needs to get a handle on the varied degrees that this can be executed and understand what's involved prior to making generalisations about 'value'. Hard to find any decent air cooled car for less than 100k currently so finding one that's had another 100k+ thrown at it for less than 200k is still good buying any day of the week.................

Sorry for the rant but there just seems to be a lot of 'talk' on this particular 'hot rod' topic and I feel the need to give it some clarity. We are taking Porsche and modifying them does not come easily or cheaply and if anything they will be less and less of it as a result. 

+

Hot rod to me is something tricked up for the street. That RSR (pains me to think it was an original 930) is a fully fledged race car and that is a huge difference in terms of the cash invested but also the suitability for daily use. Cars that sell quickly are a)original b)useable. There would be a very narrow market for this car, especially at the price (although yes it is worth this much in terms of what was put into it). So it will sit waiting for that special individual who has everything he needs for the streets and is looking for something special for the track. I would imagine you would have to be a pretty amazing driver though. Easy to compare with the speed of a current GT3, but I bet the modern car is a little easier to handle around corners :)

Hot Rod Outlaw here … I guess , the question really is are these cars made up of components and donors that were 55- 65k equally worth the price rise of the HOT AIR inflation that we have seen in the past few months.. just over the hundred mark.

Part prices didnt go up 20-40% did they ?

They dont have history in a lot of cases and in my view definatley dont command the same re-sale consideration and price as a car with good heritage and Aus delivery 

I guess I will lick my wounds later when I havent bought one and they are 150k :wacko:

+

Hot rod to me is something tricked up for the street. That RSR (pains me to think it was an original 930) is a fully fledged race car and that is a huge difference in terms of the cash invested but also the suitability for daily use. Cars that sell quickly are a)original b)useable. There would be a very narrow market for this car, especially at the price (although yes it is worth this much in terms of what was put into it). So it will sit waiting for that special individual who has everything he needs for the streets and is looking for something special for the track. I would imagine you would have to be a pretty amazing driver though. Easy to compare with the speed of a current GT3, but I bet the modern car is a little easier to handle around corners :)

Unfortunately your probably correct, most people seem to be more interested in something that 'looks race car' than is race car. In relation to how 'easy' it is to drive, the current owner I believe is a good steerer but not a 'professional' driver. ;)

Edited by hugh
spelling error

Maybe we should just do a PFA crowd funded build, we can collect together all the parts we probably collectively have lying around in our sheds and garages , build a car , and sell it for 120k and we would all realise the value of all those 5c coins that had been sitting around 

Unfortunately your probably correct, most people seem to be more interested in something that 'looks race car' than is race car.

That drives the aftermarket across many brands. Wider , fatter , louder - it's all about male attention seeking eh?

Eh? 

But size is no guarantee of quality.

Maybe we should just do a PFA crowd funded build, we can collect together all the parts we probably collectively have lying around in our sheds and garages , build a car , and sell it for 120k and we would all realise the value of all those 5c coins that had been sitting around 

I've got a spare battery charger.  And a spare car cover. I'll take 5% of the finished product.  Thx Symsy. Who is next? 

Two fluffy dice, a spare run flat, four turbo twists with contis, A Porsche 30 year calendar and anyone is welcome to borow my plasma cutter and welder if they are game to put some turbo S vents in the rear arches…   Oh hang on this is sounding like a normal Byron car repair .. behave Chris dont encourage 

Hot Rod Outlaw here … I guess , the question really is are these cars made up of components and donors that were 55- 65k equally worth the price rise of the HOT AIR inflation that we have seen in the past few months.. just over the hundred mark.

Part prices didnt go up 20-40% did they ?

They dont have history in a lot of cases and in my view definatley dont command the same re-sale consideration and price as a car with good heritage and Aus delivery 

I guess I will lick my wounds later when I havent bought one and they are 150k :wacko:

It's a funny subject putting values on hotrods isn't it?There is no wrong or right answer to what one is worth....

Ultimately we build a car because we want to! :)  It makes us feel good, it is an extension of our personality, it encourages us to have some imagination and it is a rare case of being able to turn dreams into reality! Emotions will prevail over rationale always ... Yes, there certainly are cases where one guys subject matter is desired by the masses! (i.e. Singer)  And there is folks out there with the means to sign blank cheques just because it makes their heart tick.

Can the works of Singer or even MW really be quantified/justified? Objectively?  

Probably not! 

Blowing $150K on a hotrod 911 might open you up to the risk of losing on your investment (not that it really is one) ... but it makes about as much financial sense as buying a brand new Porsche for $150K which will only be worth about half its original price in 5 years anyhow. 

I can understand the reasons for doing both ^^ and you know what? You are along time dead and you can't take money to the grave, there is nothing wrong with being prudent nor is their anything wrong with fulfilling your desires, there is a balance... find it! :D 

Whether you build the car yourself, have a shop build one for you or buy one done and develop it into something more personal that's your call... just enjoy the ride! I'm all about the journey.

There are far worse things to spend your money on! 

I think the term 'hot rod' is getting used and thrown around a little too loosely..................

The scale of modification can vary so much in terms of the scope, depth and quality of the build - its not a case of comparing apples with apples. The orange Autohaus car looked like a nice quality restoration/back date with a worked motor, price was obviously right as it has now sold. 

The blue RSR rep on the other hand has had a whole heap more in terms of $$$ and development thrown at it - impossible to comprehend or appreciate without viewing the car or taking it for a drive. I believe its currently second in the overall WA Porsche championship (open) but am happy to be corrected on that, either way properly fast car even when compared to current GT3's etc. etc. 

Anyone serious about buying or building a 'hot rod' needs to get a handle on the varied degrees that this can be executed and understand what's involved prior to making generalisations about 'value'. Hard to find any decent air cooled car for less than 100k currently so finding one that's had another 100k+ thrown at it for less than 200k is still good buying any day of the week.................

Hugh,

I think your red car is amazing and if had the kahunas i would love to develop / personalise my car.

Would you consider yours a Hot Rod? It is in my opinion exactly what a Hot Rod represents.

I dont fully get the whole singer / backdate look. Whilst im sure the build quality of all the cars mentioned is of a high standard and i love the look of them. I  just feel that to be a hot rod it needs to be a bit raw. Some of these cars seem to be a bit too refined to be called a Hot Rod.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Froggy

Hugh,

I think your red car is amazing and if had the kahunas i would love to develop / personalise my car.

Would you consider yours a Hot Rod? It is in my opinion exactly what a Hot Rod represents.

I dont fully get the whole singer / backdate look. Whilst im sure the build quality of all the cars mentioned is of a high standard and i love the look of them. I  just feel that to be a hot rod it needs to be a bit raw. Some of these cars seem to be a bit too refined to be called a Hot Rod.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, it always seems to get loads of love wherever I take it. I'd say it definitely falls into the hod rod spectrum............

I love my impact bumper 911's but I also like to be a little different. I've always thought they looked 'tough' but when I was rebuilding it I wanted to push that a bit more via subtle modifications - still retaining the raw 'impact bumper' car but just turning the volume up.................slightly...............but not too much! There is a delicate balance in my mind and its all too easy to over cook things when starting down the slippery slope of modifying. :)

Your 100% spot on though, I think an old 911 needs to retain some of that old 911 feel that makes them want to be driven. Some new builds I have seen would make me scared to drive them as they seem a little too precious. ;)

do the km's on a 30 year old car really have a big factor in determining the price or does the overall condition, history, colour, options etc carry more weight?

seems like people seem to be fixated on how many km's cars have these days

ps. no idea why there is all this free space under my post, I can't seem to delete it? mods?

Its the Forums White page :P I think the high K's are a bit of a worry because things do wear out,And like anything Porsche its big $, Rebuild prices are maybe 15 -25 k its a big chunk of cash after you have palmed out 95 K for the car, But if it has a good history I suppose you balance it out with what has been replaced and or repaired :)

I thinks its a bit dear. If its had a load of cash spent on engine & suspension, then less so.

That car was a good purchase, from memory it surprised the buyer how low his final bid was. Shannons purchase I recall.