Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Reggie,

I suspect there are a few of us that regret not buying your car now!

Yes and I miss that car but it went to a very good owner. Think F1....

I regret selling my 912 even more when I moved from Canberra a few years back. Luckily i have my 964 to ease the pain.

My advice to potential buyers of any Porsche is, if one does come up, go look and drive the car. If you like the car buy it, don't worry about the market and where its going (up or down). Buy what you love. If a problem can be solved with money, then it isn't really a problem. The real problem is finding another one.

In fact, i preferred my 912, so light, balanced, noisy, chuckable and at that time, i never worried if i crashed it or not. 

A question gents - is the 993 targa a sought after car or an oddball and falls into the unloved cabriolet category? This one looks pretty nice and is almost a coupe! Much lower k's and nicer interior and wheels than the cab I'm looking to buy....so could be a better buy maybe even at the increased price? Looks way better than a cab and if I buy the missus more flowers maybe I can convince her it's almost a roadster - sort off.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/SSE-AD-3259872/?Cr=10

A question gents - is the 993 targa a sought after car or an oddball and falls into the unloved cabriolet category? This one looks pretty nice and is almost a coupe! Much lower k's and nicer interior and wheels than the cab I'm looking to buy....so could be a better buy maybe even at the increased price? Looks way better than a cab and if I buy the missus more flowers maybe I can convince her it's almost a roadster - sort off.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/SSE-AD-3259872/?Cr=10

would definitely have one over a cab. Don't see them for sale often  best avoided apparently

...and good value compared to the Duttons one! Someone grab it, I've reached my quota for this year ;);)

bit cleaner aswell

Edited by turboT

The 993 targa top can be troublesome and some parts are no longer available I understand. 

Never bothered to investigate this common view in depth because everything on the internet is true isn't it?

Like everything, it probably pays to do some homework like you're doing.

A question gents - is the 993 targa a sought after car or an oddball and falls into the unloved cabriolet category? This one looks pretty nice and is almost a coupe!

It is actually a cab with a roof added to the top.

Problems which I have heard about include a very hot cabin with all the glass around you, the same creaks as a cab, but mostly people whine about the complicated Webasto roof system.   It is made by a third party company and can be prone to issues.   Not that I've ever owned one.  

And they can take a long time to sell - one has been on carsales for almost three years now I recall.

The 993 targa top can be troublesome and some parts are no longer available I understand. 

Never bothered to investigate this common view in depth because everything on the internet is true isn't it?

Like everything, it probably pays to do some homework like you're doing.

Thanks Peter. Googled 993 targa problems and first result was this forum back in 2012 and quite informative discussion  - excerpt below from T-man post:

The roof mechanism is extremely complicated and is driven by a couple of motors via some special cables. Seals are the easy bit. If you strip a drive gear, damage a cable or cams that lay in the roof rails you have a huge cost for parts, when available, and the labour involved can be substantial. And, that's if you can find someone "truly" familiar with the intricacies of a 993 Targa roof! Remenber that this mechanism not only retracted the glass but also operated a blind. Absolute genius design!!!

FYI I have attached an interesting link. Once you read this you will think twice about a 993 Targa.

I know I did, and I like to think I'm more than a little mechanically minded.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Targa_Roof_Operation_Outline

My god that link, need to be a rocket engineer to understand it but it did the job on me .... I'd be in a world of pain if the roof stuffed up on me, so even though tempting in looks and open air, I think I'll stick with a cab ....

It is actually a cab with a roof added to the top.

Problems which I have heard about include a very hot cabin with all the glass around you, the same creaks as a cab, but mostly people whine about the complicated Webasto roof system.   It is made by a third party company and can be prone to issues.   Not that I've ever owned one.  

And they can take a long time to sell - one has been on carsales for almost three years now I recall.

Sorta looks like it's added on yeah, but I think it looks quite good actually, but one not moved on in 3 years sorta spells out the problem as well....Thought they may be the unloved version like the olde style targas used to be back in the day.....seems they are likeable now.

Is there something wrong with this car ? ,  is that why does it not sell , does anyone who has seen it know if it has issues.

Is it worth a look?

I heard it really needs $10-15K spent on it...  

Don't know if the work has been done hence the price rise - or just trying to run with the market.  I suspect the latter.

The roof mechanism is extremely complicated and is driven by a couple of motors via some special cables. Seals are the easy bit. If you strip a drive gear, damage a cable or cams that lay in the roof rails you have a huge cost for parts, when available, and the labour involved can be substantial. And, that's if you can find someone "truly" familiar with the intricacies of a 993 Targa roof! Remenber that this mechanism not only retracted the glass but also operated a blind. Absolute genius design!!!

FYI I have attached an interesting link. Once you read this you will think twice about a 993 Targa.

I know I did, and I like to think I'm more than a little mechanically minded.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Targa_Roof_Operation_Outline

My god that link, need to be a rocket engineer to understand it but it did the job on me .... I'd be in a world of pain if the roof stuffed up on me, so even though tempting in looks and open air, I think I'll stick with a cab ....

Sorta looks like it's added on yeah, but I think it looks quite good actually, but one not moved on in 3 years sorta spells out the problem as well....Thought they may be the unloved version like the olde style targas used to be back in the day.....seems they are likeable now.

Which is why an SC cabriolet with a manual roof with no motors to go wrong is a smart choice....partly why I chased mine....

I heard it really needs $10-15K spent on it...  

Don't know if the work has been done hence the price rise - or just trying to run with the market.  I suspect the latter.

.................And it is the C4 which doesn't command the values of the C2 variant.  When I was looking I was turned off the C4 for two reasons, one was that the drive in the stock NA variant was less involving compared to its C2 sibling, the second was that the 4WD system was new and complex and very costly to maintain/restore when required. NO personal experience (didn't want to find out) but was what I was advised by a couple of respected Porsche experts.

For maintenance and DIY, cost of ownership, can't beat a G series

Edited by Boxer

If I recall it was advertised at one point @$69K no buyers then. Now ? apart from the price. Is there a problem.?

I'm guessing there were quite a few things wrong with it and it was pulled from the market, given a large overhaul/major service and now is back looking better than ever with a price tag to match.

My bet is that it will sell now and at close to that money. 

.................And it is the C4 which doesn't command the values of the C2 variant.  When I was looking I was turned off the C4 for two reasons, one was that the drive in the stock NA variant was less involving compared to its C2 sibling, the second was that the 4WD system was new and complex and very costly to maintain/restore when required. NO personal experience (didn't want to find out) but was what I was advised by a couple of respected Porsche experts.

Nothing wrong with a C4. Tiny difference in performance due to the extra weight you would hardly notice. Mine will eventually be backdated with a bigger power output, so am actually kind of pleased i will have all four wheels in control ;)

Value of this is about right. Yes C2's get more, but C2's are now north of $100k so you would expect $75-$80k for the C4.

I actually tried to nab this one a few months ago for what i paid for mine but the owner was having none of it (don't blame him). FRAZ i believe knows a bit more about the car but when i spoke to him the issues seemed pretty minor - sun roof not working, things like that.

I'm guessing there were quite a few things wrong with it and it was pulled from the market, given a large overhaul/major service and now is back looking better than ever with a price tag to match.

My bet is that it will sell now and at close to that money. 

agree - if you want a 964 coupe and don't have $100k+ this is the car to buy. All old cars have issues

Nothing wrong with a C4. Tiny difference in performance due to the extra weight you would hardly notice. Mine will eventually be backdated with a bigger power output, so am actually kind of pleased i will have all four wheels in control ;)

I dont think we are conflicting here at all, note I mentioned "drive involvement" not performance difference (the fact the C2 is faster shows grip is not a shortcoming) and also referenced it to a stock Carrera output, RS4 or Turbo/modified etc I get it.

Otherwise added complexity not really required and something else to service and maintain (therefore more costly) is part of its lower value and desirability to C2 thats all

Yes I agree!

I still wonder at something so simple can be so great to drive.  I love how your hands are only a handful of components from the front wheels for example.

I think too many take these cars for granted but for me, who was 8 when they where first introduced and 23 when they where replaced with the 964's, they are the quintessential 911 in my view.

Judging by recent trends , It won't be long before original G series will fetch more than backwards <>forwards bitzers. 

Don't recent trends suggest, that first of all, the cashed up buyers will realize that there was initially a generation of G series with narrow bodies....bang....they are a must have!

Until they run out,and then it works its way up the chain.