Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

plus maybe the cost of rebuilding the calipers if it's been sitting for 5 years? 

Plus tyres?

According to a reliable source mr flounder, it's been poorly repainted  door misaligned alot of oil on the engine, drives tired etc etc  - so a lot more than 10k to make it peachy - let me edit my first comment and say seller not provide full disclosure 

It looks as though the car is brand new from the pictures.. I guess we can't always judge from that.

FYI: They asking 77k now. :mellow:

This is the risk many are now going to be taking now they have the 'fever.' 

According to a reliable source mr flounder, it's been poorly repainted  door misaligned alot of oil on the engine, drives tired etc etc  - so a lot more than 10k to make it peachy - let me edit my first comment and say seller not provide full disclosure 

no 'desilva' lining then ;)

I meant $70k is a lot of money to spend - looking at the alternatives in classics that 70k can bring.

i also said it's probably worth it!

I obviously misinterpreted your sentiment .... 

i suppose that every comment that is posted about these aircooled cars being overpriced (me included) seeme to indicate "overpriced" when in fact it is now the norm that  a lot of us have trouble accepting / understanding .....

While these high prices are being paid, every sale sets new thresholds and while it is still possible to lose money in the future by overpaying now, we will just have to keep oooohing and ahhhhing at every new "asking" and then "selling" price ....

I have been chasing a particular 964 C2 Aussie that ticks all the boxes from my perspective (and everyone else's) for a few months now.

A few months ago, the owner and I somewhat had an agreement on the price in which he would sell the car to me for. The price was based on his judgement and purely his asking price. Despite that, I was very happy to oblige and go ahead with that figure as it was everything I desired. I was very keen on purchasing the car right away even though it was slightly over my budget and way over the "market price" a couple months ago, it was just very tasteful and I had to acquire it ASAP.

Eventually weeks and then months went on and I was never able to see even see the car as a result of his busy time schedule - in which is totally understandable. To his credit, or lack of desire to sell the car, having spoken again to him very recently after finally getting a hold of him after trying to secure the car for so long. His asking price has now shot up to $40,000 more than what was previously discussed (mind you before was plenty high already)... Coming from an already inflated figure 2 months ago to now this.. I really cannot keep up with this and after all those months of chasing his particular car back and forth and not settling for any others that have come up, I think I must let it slide... 

This poses a question to me.. What 964 C2 in Australia has ever sold for more than 110k??? (FYI: no where near his asking...) Despite the dealers acquiring their cars and setting their prices at ridiculous amounts, I have never seen one sold for that much - nor has one come up in the market. I understand some rare examples (late year 964, low kms) are certainly worth far more, but for the run of the mill Aussie C2, can you really value it that extensively? People who own these cars seem to just assume their values based off a percentage on top of the C4's. I know the C2 are much rarer but really, if I am paying close to 150k to enjoy (not store and hoard) these cars and even if I really wanted one, I would probably settle for something less hyped.

I just find all of this awfully depressing... 

Here's  a red SC, with bright red interior :huh: put some Fuchs on and ditch that whale tail and maybe she'd be a nice little red Targa?  $50k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1982/SSE-AD-3604235/?Cr=4

cp5216571787896440662.jpg?height=700&asp

Edited by amanda

I have been chasing a particular 964 C2 Aussie that ticks all the boxes from my perspective (and everyone else's) for a few months now.

A few months ago, the owner and I somewhat had an agreement on the price in which he would sell the car to me for. The price was based on his judgement and purely his asking price. Despite that, I was very happy to oblige and go ahead with that figure as it was everything I desired. I was very keen on purchasing the car right away even though it was slightly over my budget and way over the "market price" a couple months ago, it was just very tasteful and I had to acquire it ASAP.

Eventually weeks and then months went on and I was never able to see even see the car as a result of his busy time schedule - in which is totally understandable. To his credit, or lack of desire to sell the car, having spoken again to him very recently after finally getting a hold of him after trying to secure the car for so long. His asking price has now shot up to $40,000 more than what was previously discussed (mind you before was plenty high already)... Coming from an already inflated figure 2 months ago to now this.. I really cannot keep up with this and after all those months of chasing his particular car back and forth and not settling for any others that have come up, I think I must let it slide... 

This poses a question to me.. What 964 C2 in Australia has ever sold for more than 110k??? (FYI: no where near his asking...) Despite the dealers acquiring their cars and setting their prices at ridiculous amounts, I have never seen one sold for that much - nor has one come up in the market. I understand some rare examples (late year 964, low kms) are certainly worth far more, but for the run of the mill Aussie C2, can you really value it that extensively? People who own these cars seem to just assume their values based off a percentage on top of the C4's. I know the C2 are much rarer but really, if I am paying close to 150k to enjoy (not store and hoard) these cars and even if I really wanted one, I would probably settle for something less hyped.

theres two for sale at the moment for less. Have you looked at them? To answer your question I know of one that was close to the figure you mention. Low kms though. Nothing wrong with a c4 either ;)

While a lot of people see the air cooled cars as overpriced at the moment, a car is only over-priced if it does not sell.  For many people buying an air cooled car over the last 10 years was a relatively cheap way to get a high performance sports car when many others brands were out of reach of anyone who was not wealthy.  When I bought my first 3.2 Carrera in 1997, a good one could be had for reasonably money and having a steady reasonably well paying job allowed people to buy a 911 for around the same money as a new optioned up Holden or Ford.  

Now, anyone with the same "reasonably well paying job" would struggle to get one, and given the price increases over the last 12 months, I am sure there are quite a few owners in this situation who are thinking of selling......what was a $35 a $50 thousand purchase back then, would take a sizeable chunk out of the mortgage now.

Air cooled ownership is becoming the latest "must have" for some, while others will look to cash in on their good fortune and pay down the mortgage......Knowing that they will never be able to afford an AC Porsche again.   (Are 996's just as much fun???).

will always be a head vs heart decision.

theres two for sale at the moment for less. Have you looked at them? To answer your question I know of one that was close to the figure you mention. Low kms though. Nothing wrong with a c4 either ;)

I know of the low kms car you are mentioning too :)!

I quite miss those two red C4's that just sold... such great value.. Silly me for wanting to be lead on :lol:

While a lot of people see the air cooled cars as overpriced at the moment, a car is only over-priced if it does not sell.  For many people buying an air cooled car over the last 10 years was a relatively cheap way to get a high performance sports car when many others brands were out of reach of anyone who was not wealthy.  When I bought my first 3.2 Carrera in 1997, a good one could be had for reasonably money and having a steady reasonably well paying job allowed people to buy a 911 for around the same money as a new optioned up Holden or Ford.  

Now, anyone with the same "reasonably well paying job" would struggle to get one, and given the price increases over the last 12 months, I am sure there are quite a few owners in this situation who are thinking of selling......what was a $35 a $50 thousand purchase back then, would take a sizeable chunk out of the mortgage now.

Air cooled ownership is becoming the latest "must have" for some, while others will look to cash in on their good fortune and pay down the mortgage......Knowing that they will never be able to afford an AC Porsche again.   (Are 996's just as much fun???).

will always be a head vs heart decision.

Tough decision for a lot of people.  You're right that getting out of the market may mean staying out forever.  A lot of people have sold e-types and dinos and have been locked out forever.  Regret is a painful condition. 

I know of the low kms car you are mentioning too :)!

I quite miss those two red C4's that just sold... such great value.. Silly me for wanting to be lead on :lol:

Don't give up mate, it can be a tiring process, but hold out, the right one will come along! 

I think many are unsure where the asking/actual market is on 964's and many other air cooled models (see below)... 

Pricing_zpszvrfnzm8.jpg

BTW I think this could be a good buy and owner looks like he's negotiable;)

Yep, I've recently been put in the painful decision process whether to sell my 912 or not, due to my missus being made redundant and my own workload suffering. We've lost many thousands of dollars over the past 8 months, and all the years of hard work we have done to bring the mortgage down has all been basically a waste of time and energy. 

In all honesty, if it wasnt for my missus putting her foot down saying 'Don't you dare sell that car, we'll sort it out', I have no doubt I would have sold the car by now.

This (and a couple of other things) has made us think quite a bit differently about life in general, and we're just going to live for today, not tomorrow, so the only way i would sell my car now is to buy a cheaper Porsche, and have something else in the garage to play with too. Life is too short, have fun and enjoy it

Yep, I've recently been put in the painful decision process whether to sell my 912 or not, due to my missus being made redundant and my own workload suffering. We've lost many thousands of dollars over the past 8 months, and all the years of hard work we have done to bring the mortgage down has all been basically a waste of time and energy. 

In all honesty, if it wasnt for my missus putting her foot down saying 'Don't you dare sell that car, we'll sort it out', I have no doubt I would have sold the car by now.

This (and a couple of other things) has made us think quite a bit differently about life in general, and we're just going to live for today, not tomorrow, so the only way i would sell my car now is to buy a cheaper Porsche, and have something else in the garage to play with too. Life is too short, have fun and enjoy it

good woman you have there.

hope things get better mate

Yeah, she's a good one mate. Had our ups n downs like any other relationship over they years, yet now she has found the career she's wanted for so long, she's back to being the happy, beer and scotch drinking, idiot bogan comedian I liked 9 years ago. We'll get there, as we're not quitters

Cheers ;)

Excuse the hijack, back to Porsche's!

Sorry to hear that you're battling Lee.

Cars are just cars mate, they come and go.

All I would say is, if moving it on will make things easier, make sure that you get it finished, so as to extract the most coin from it.

You know if you need a hand with anything, I would be happy to help.

Thanks Chris, appreciated, all good mate. Onward and upward as they say! Couple of months and we should be right. If not, she goes........and I finish the car :-)