Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Oh yeah, ofcourse mate. I know his grandad was doing that, my comment was more towards the Porsche Outlaw tag thing that Rod seems to claim as his own on occasion

The guy is an absolute master of metal work and 356's, so I'm not bagging him at all

The Outlaw thing I believe was his dad? 

Harder , Faster , Louder  ..  I reckon they should all be outlaws .. but I have never been one to conform

So whats with the severe lack of movement , GT3 for sale , count constant 

Its hot across the country but not in the Porsche market

911 SC's and mostly 3.2's Constant

143k 997 Manual Turbo - No sale 

11148834_1029974510387300_78111917155996

porsche%20wheels1_zpsi6zxn2lm.jpg

143k 997 Turbo = No Sale

Shame about the interior.  CTS sold a really nice midnight blue 996 TTS not long ago and there was a nice white one in Melb with low k for less money also.

Think circa 16 coupe's came to Aust with 4 turbo S cab's.  

Re no sale on 143k 997 Turbo   - Owner doesn't appear to be in a rush, eg only contact is through enquiry and it appears to be, I'll contact you when I get around to it if at all  = perhaps a reason it isn't sold or it is sold.      What are some lines of thinking in terms offer prices right now on a 997.1 turbo when you see one advertised as 143k ono, but bother me with silly offers, given there appears be not a lot of movement at current advertised prices on 997 tt's, but some evidence of a sale or two recently eg white tip circ 110 at auction and a vinyl wrapped reddy / orange manual 997tt my08 (with nice mods (wrapping aside) and close to half the km's) which sold at an unknown price but advertised initially the 140's.

Edited by smit2100

Re no sale on 143k 997 Turbo   - Owner doesn't appear to be in a rush, eg only contact is through enquiry and it appears to be, I'll contact you when I get around to it if at all  = perhaps a reason it isn't sold or it is sold.      What are some lines of thinking in terms offer prices right now on a 997.1 turbo when you see one advertised as 143k ono, but bother me with silly offers, given there appears be not a lot of movement at current advertised prices on 997 tt's, but some evidence of a sale or two recently eg white tip circ 110 at auction and a vinyl wrapped reddy / orange manual 997tt my08 (with nice mods (wrapping aside) and close to half the km's) which sold at an unknown price but advertised initially the 140's.

I heard the red rapper was sold 125ish .. I cant be sure but I think I  know someone who maybe have got it or something very similar , I was told he bought a car that needed unwrapping for 120-125 arena 

I wasnt sure about the mods or buying a car that needs unwrapping , has anyone ever done that? What needs to happen to paint after 

Edited by symsy

I wasnt sure aout the mods or buying a car that needs unwrapping , has anyone ever done that? What needs to happen to paint after 

had a Rs4 wagon I wrapped in matte black vinyl. After a year I got sick of it + pretty easy to damage it, so took it back to the guys that did it to get removed. Easy - no damage to paint

I wasnt sure about the mods or buying a car that needs unwrapping , has anyone ever done that? What needs to happen to paint after 

I used to sell advertising on busses and we wrapped them all the time .... there is special 3M and Avery vinyls that are made for this purpose and will go on and be able to be removed without a trace.

The vinyl will actually protect the paint and does no damage at all. It is removed with a heat gun and some patience.

@ symsy, Re 997 turbo's.  Thanks for that little nugget of info on the red wrapper and other signposts in this thread that is helping me recalibrate my thinking on what constitutes a low ball offer on 996 / 997 turbo compared to advertised current pricing. I ran the ruler over the red wrapper so to speak(never ceases to amaze me you can do with creative word searches in google with a little bit of supplementary info eg names, suburbs etc, eg previous red / orange wrapper owner was car proud and wasn't shy with pertainent posts on the Redline events facebook page. Sent some questions that never got answered but didn't followup because the price I was thinking was going to be laughed at relative to the advertised price. I have been narrowly laser focused on modding a stock 996 turbo, but with the dry spell on 996 turbo manuals and some recent 997 turbo signpost may need to broaden my horizons and reconsider 997 tt / 996 tt s possibilities and just wind back the power goal and handling mods.  That said, I lam partial to the 997.1 tt over the 996 tt as an overall package.  That grey 997.1 tt currently for sale looks really clean, but with 78k on the clock , suspect the pccb's are on the way out and thats some dollars to consider right there eg (reco vs oem new vs going back to oem steel setupp and bagging and bubble wrapping thats left of the pccb's) and then sacrosanct I know to some, but just I can't leave a stock performance car alone when there is some awkw on the table that is easy to obtain with some well researched bolton parts and selection of a tuner.  Maybe its just a custom tune, exhaust , port and polish stock headers, 997gt2 rs intercoolers, tasteful placement of a cobb accessport/ holder. coilovers/ upgraded oem suspension parts  down the track as part of normal wear and tear replacment and resist the tempatation to spend anything else and just enjoy. Could even have the potential to be the first car I sunk dollars in, that I won't be dropping some signficant coin (% wise to $ put in) noting I do to tend to hold on to my cars for a while compared to some.

Edited by smit2100

Hey smit2100, have you tried any std turbo cars? They are quick enough for most people.

I would suggest a std well looked after car, see how it is for you, then make a decision on upgrades. Upgrades will be where you spend cash that will not remain with the car.

Hey smit2100, have you tried any std turbo cars? They are quick enough for most people.

I would suggest a std well looked after car, see how  is for you, then make a decision on upgrades. Upgrades will be where you spend cash that will not remain with the car.

Hi    I have not tried any std turbo cars.   However, I currently have a modified (alcon brakes, suspension, lots of go faster bits without opening the motor ) circ 500hp well looked after twin turbo in another euro mark (Acknowledge its not a porsche, but suspect it would rival any modified porsche single turbo for quickness, ie  spools down low at  2000rpm with boost coming on at 24psi tapering to 22psi and holds well through to about 6000 rpms but missing a bit of power up top beyond that.  With modding a couple of cars, for me you get used to the power and left wanting more.   Based on my research, supported by a fair few polls from those who own my mark on what model / mark they would / have moved into, the 996 tt/ 997 tt is just a natural and logical upward progression from my current mark.  Its also not just about the quickness( although not convinced that that instaboost from most custom tuned marks with modified twin snails on a 6 cylinder and the associated instantaneous kick in back  of your seat push can be easily replicated by a single turbo. (My experience is bigger single turbo mods = power curve moving right (opposite direction to what I desire) and having that wait for it, hold on, holy #$% when the turbo spools up and power kicks in (not my idea of a great daily / street / occassional track car)  Its also about the whole driving package eg chassis / body dynamics, drivetrain, brakes, suspension.  Didn't realise you can get standard turbo's to over 500hp without spending big bucks, but I then question whether  you can then leave the suspension and braking as is.    Are you suggesting in a Porsche, the handling and braking difference between  a standard turbo model and twin turbo in not really noticeable or marginal, because in other marks, there is a noticeable difference and its a slippery slope of then upgrading parts to match you power increase because the stock parts weren't designed to handle the increased power and speed and your "upgrades" end up being  upgrading to parts from the higher performing model anyway. For me a 996 / 997.1 twin turbo is the real deal to run mods on (metzger motor (ex rods, is a great base) and it comes as a total package and great canvas to work off if you want that extra speed, i.e the stock suspension and braking setup can handle it, Not convinced upgrading / modding a std turbo in any mark gets you to that same point as the twin turbo model as an overall package and you just end up pissing more dollars away trying to upgrade than had you just went with the original model from the outset.  I have been patient and biding my time and given my budget and desire to do any mods quickly, along with research and lessons personally observed with "upgrading" other marks, nothing ticks more boxes than the twin turbo (ps must also be a manual). 

That all said, which single turbo model besides a twin turbo 996 / 997 would you suggest I take a look at that delivers a step change from what I currently have and what would be a rough order of magnitude cost for upgrades to get a very reliable daily delivering circ 550hp -600hp figure / sub  4sec 0 to100km/r  and circ 11's for a quarter mile run, that stops , and is more than capable through any twisties or hills you throw at it

Edited by smit2100

That all said, which single turbo model besides a twin turbo 996 / 997 would you suggest I take a look at that delivers a step change from what I currently have and what would be a rough order of magnitude cost for upgrades to get a very reliable daily delivering circ 550hp -600hp figure / sub  4sec 0 to100km/r  and circ 11's for a quarter mile run, that stops , and is more than capable through any twisties or hills you throw at it

mate I would suggest getting a test drive asap. You sound like a power junky :) but these cars have it as stock. Turbos are top of the range for a reason ;) . It has been great to see the price stabilisation of 996 tt as it has stopped my 997 falling quite so hard, but I would recommend going the 997 for several reasons:-

1. They look better

2. The 997.1 is great value right now. With what has happened to the value of the 996 it doesn't look like there will be more than $20-$30 left in depreciation, which is fuck all considering there were $400,000 cars and you can now get them for $150k.

3. The reported sub 4 sec car you are after is already there as official times for these cars are always underquoted by Porsche and really you are looking at a low 3 sec car. 

4. They are the last 'real turbos' with the 991 soon to stick a turbo in practically every model. With the way that 'Porsche people' look at the world, this will mean something one day ;) 

The only thing you might want to mod if you like a bit more growl is the exhaust system. Just be aware that any mod will void the warranty on these cars if you care about this, and will also affect any future value ( so keep all the original bits). 

My 2 cents

(997.2 PDK will blow your mind if you like continuous immediate boost, speed and daily drivability - that's what I've got ;) )

Hi    I have not tried any std turbo cars.   However, I currently have a modified (alcon brakes, suspension, lots of go faster bits without opening the motor ) circ 500hp well looked after twin turbo in another euro mark (Acknowledge its not a porsche, but suspect it would rival any modified porsche single turbo for quickness, ie  spools down low at  2000rpm with boost coming on at 24psi tapering to 22psi and holds well through to about 6000 rpms but missing a bit of power up top beyond that.  With modding a couple of cars, for me you get used to the power and left wanting more.   Based on my research, supported by a fair few polls from those who own my mark on what model / mark they would / have moved into, the 996 tt/ 997 tt is just a natural and logical upward progression from my current mark.  Its also not just about the quickness( although not convinced that that instaboost from most custom tuned marks with modified twin snails on a 6 cylinder and the associated instantaneous kick in back  of your seat push can be easily replicated by a single turbo. (My experience is bigger single turbo mods = power curve moving right (opposite direction to what I desire) and having that wait for it, hold on, holy #$% when the turbo spools up and power kicks in (not my idea of a great daily / street / occassional track car)  Its also about the whole driving package eg chassis / body dynamics, drivetrain, brakes, suspension.  Didn't realise you can get standard turbo's to over 500hp without spending big bucks, but I then question whether  you can then leave the suspension and braking as is.    Are you suggesting in a Porsche, the handling and braking difference between  a standard turbo model and twin turbo in not really noticeable or marginal, because in other marks, there is a noticeable difference and its a slippery slope of then upgrading parts to match you power increase because the stock parts weren't designed to handle the increased power and speed and your "upgrades" end up being  upgrading to parts from the higher performing model anyway. For me a 996 / 997.1 twin turbo is the real deal to run mods on (metzger motor (ex rods, is a great base) and it comes as a total package and great canvas to work off if you want that extra speed, i.e the stock suspension and braking setup can handle it, Not convinced upgrading / modding a std turbo in any mark gets you to that same point as the twin turbo model as an overall package and you just end up pissing more dollars away trying to upgrade than had you just went with the original model from the outset.  I have been patient and biding my time and given my budget and desire to do any mods quickly, along with research and lessons personally observed with "upgrading" other marks, nothing ticks more boxes than the twin turbo (ps must also be a manual). 

Get a 996 or 997.1 with the Mezger they are bullet proof.

You can't port the heads with a 996/7 as you'll run into trouble with the standard fuel system if you go pushing too much power through it and hit the limit of the stock rods.

I think I outlined what my 996 has done previously but it has Kevin from UMW's Stage 2A kit and makes circa 350kw at all 4 up from 255 standard on a Dyno Dynamics.  I've run it at WSID a number of times and it runs consistent mid 11's at 125+ mph which sounds like what you are after?  It's perfect at the track and not over powered for the brakes or suspension.  My 997 GT2 is quicker again but its got too much grunt really be able to use on the street with the weight reduction over the turbo.

I honestly don't think you need more than bolt on K16s, GT2RS coolers, 5 bar and a good exhaust such as a Europipe and I've had some powerful cars (450+kw at wheels GTR)