Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

it says original radio and is sporting a Blaupunkt Toronto SQR46 which was installed for US cars, not sure about UK.

not an American car.  Or, if so, considerable time and effort to convert and remove traces of US delivery.  Unlikely to have been done and keep It a bog stock white targa.

Highly likely to be a UK car.  Looks nice, get ppi etc.

The Blaupunkt Toronto SQR 46 was installed in UK cars. I know, mine has one. 

The Blaupunkt Reno SQR 46 was installed in US cars. I know, mine had one.

I'm sure you're right and it appears that that car has a Blaupunkt SQR46 Toronto or Bremen in it in the photo so likely a UK car.  Anyway, that aside it looks like a nice car and I really love targas. I know it's been on the market a while though.

So tracking back 24 hours... if we agree its an orig RHD and KMs  (140k?) and condition good, isn't this already marked down to reflect import status and it being a Targa . If so then what's a comparable oz equivalent worth?

Edited by michel

So tracking back 24 hours... if we agree its an orig RHD and KMs  (140k?) and condition good, isn't this already marked down to reflect import status and it being a Targa . If so then what's a comparable oz equivalent worth?

Good question - personally (and I hope this isn't too controversial), I'm not really sure an Australian equivalent is really worth any more than the asking price of this one and suspect this one is over-priced, even if it is as it looks - I know we have all thought it is a strong market and a number of cars are listed at quite 'ambitious' prices - which often stay listed for a significant time (especially at the dealers we all know and love), but who really knows what they ultimately sell for when all is said and done other than those involved directly in the deal?

The price of this car isn't so much 'marked down' as marked up to the absolute maximum that the vendor thinks he can achieve?  Yes, there will always be people who pay a little over the odds, just as there will always be cars like the miraculous yellow Shannons 911...I'm just not so sure the market is where we sometimes think it is, based upon a relatively small sample of cars.

Seeing as how I have that comparable Oz equivalent, I'd say the white one is worth every dollar of his asking price ;)

Interesting extract:

Statement by Glenn Stevens, Governor:
Monetary Policy Decision

Number 2016-18
Date 2 August 2016

At its meeting today, the Board decided to lower the cash rate by 25 basis points to 1.50 per cent, effective 3 August 2016.

The global economy is continuing to grow, at a lower than average pace. Several advanced economies have recorded improved conditions over the past year, but conditions have become more difficult for a number of emerging market economies. Actions by Chinese policymakers are supporting the near-term growth outlook, but the underlying pace of China's growth appears to be moderating.

Commodity prices are above recent lows, but this follows very substantial declines in the sales and glut of 996.1 and 996.2 GT3. The Bank recommend that potential purchasers hold off as it is expected that prices will soften to pre October 2015 levels.  Australia's terms of trade remain much lower than they had been in recent years.

Financial markets have continued to function effectively. Funding costs for high-quality borrowers remain low and, globally, monetary policy remains remarkably accommodative..............................

Edited by Peter M

you missed the last bit Pete

Interesting extract:

Statement by Glenn Stevens, Governor:
Monetary Policy Decision

Number 2016-18
Date 2 August 2016

At its meeting today, the Board decided to lower the cash rate by 25 basis points to 1.50 per cent, effective 3 August 2016.

The global economy is continuing to grow, at a lower than average pace. Several advanced economies have recorded improved conditions over the past year, but conditions have become more difficult for a number of emerging market economies. Actions by Chinese policymakers are supporting the near-term growth outlook, but the underlying pace of China's growth appears to be moderating.

Commodity prices are above recent lows, but this follows very substantial declines in the sales and glut of 996.1 and 996.2 GT3. The Bank recommend that potential purchasers hold off as it is expected that prices will soften to pre October 2015 levels.  Australia's terms of trade remain much lower than they had been in recent years.

Financial markets have continued to function effectively. Funding costs for high-quality borrowers remain low and, globally, monetary policy remains remarkably accommodative............................. for those wanting good quality aussi 930's

I personally think that is the value of a decent imported coupe in the current market, so I think you need to take another chunk off for the Targa. I think this is the money for an Oz car. LeeM seems to be in the right ballpark. The only thing going for it and all targas at the moment is that unlike 930's, they are in short supply;)

And talking about tough ones to value, how do we value this 3.2?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-4185881/?Cr=17

Low Ks(134k), converted to RHD (ex japan). Full respray by Zag, nicely detailed engine bay, lots of other work, non original wheels, worst steering wheel ever (original supplied) and full history

In the current market, I struggle to see this at more than $90-95k.

theyre only following the form of that dude on gumtree. Of is it them?

I personally think that is the value of a decent imported coupe in the current market, so I think you need to take another chunk off for the Targa. I think this is the money for an Oz car. LeeM seems to be in the right ballpark. The only thing going for it and all targas at the moment is that unlike 930's, they are in short supply;)

And talking about tough ones to value, how do we value this 3.2?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-4185881/?Cr=17

Low Ks(134k), converted to RHD (ex japan). Full respray by Zag, nicely detailed engine bay, lots of other work, non original wheels, worst steering wheel ever (original supplied) and full history

In the current market, I struggle to see this at more than $90-95k.

hang on Simon... Dbl take are you suggesting a LHD 3.2 converted import is worth more than an original RHD targa ??? ??

Edited by michel

Is anyone tracking 356 prices? Coupes ?

Indulge me a little 

A's seem to be right up there 180-250's , no real concern if they are imports or not

B's , 135 imports , 150 Auscars - 200

C's ?? Any comments 

SC's 

Also would you knock a car thats non original colour 5% or 10% of top prices ?

Im gonna use the assumption that the top top price is CTS or DUTTON and most of us arent ever gonna pay those ??

Like wise , how about a non matching number car -- 5% or 10% knock down  .. whats your measure?

Lastly , as 356's are signifcantly older do those of you that have had them or own them normally get history .. full history .. log books , owners manuals.. or is this just a rare few cars.. im guessing although ideal .. unlike 911s again age plays a big factor in what paperwork s reasonable to not have ?

Seeing as how I have that comparable Oz equivalent, I'd say the white one is worth every dollar of his asking price ;)

Haha of course you would!

Simon, I thought you would have mentioned the wacky condenser fan mounted on the engine!

Wacky is exactly the right word.  What is with the steering wheel and the hideous speaker grilles?  Have to say it looks nice if you could look past those things though.

I think the pricing is speculative and the car will sit.

This 944 looks interesting...although the eBay listing says it's in Sydney, the pictures have Victorian plates and the description says it's in Hobart... If you sorted all that out it might be a good buy...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-944-manual-/322210072220?hash=item4b0537869c:g:uGsAAOSwtnpXmsp-

Edited by JWM

Simon, I thought you would have mentioned the wacky condenser fan mounted on the engine!

some strange choices in that blue car.  However seats and interior look nice and I assume it's the original colour.  Wheel, speakers and utterly useless toy fan are easily replaced.  As if a little plastic fan could move more air than the massive overdriven ducted engine fan !

Good luck to the seller as it looks like a nice clean car.  Personally I would have left it lhd as the good Dr intended and spent the money on some 7/8 in original Fuchs.  But that's just me, I have the lhd madness and I'm not sure I would go to RHD now.

Is anyone tracking 356 prices? Coupes ?

Indulge me a little 

A's seem to be right up there 180-250's , no real concern if they are imports or not

B's , 135 imports , 150 Auscars - 200

C's ?? Any comments 

SC's 

Also would you knock a car thats non original colour 5% or 10% of top prices ?

Im gonna use the assumption that the top top price is CTS or DUTTON and most of us arent ever gonna pay those ??

Like wise , how about a non matching number car -- 5% or 10% knock down  .. whats your measure?

Lastly , as 356's are signifcantly older do those of you that have had them or own them normally get history .. full history .. log books , owners manuals.. or is this just a rare few cars.. im guessing although ideal .. unlike 911s again age plays a big factor in what paperwork s reasonable to not have ?

Gotta quote myself .. this is the market place thread, no one got any insights to share on 356 prices? I asked cos I know bugger all and was hoping you folks did know

This 944 looks interesting...although the eBay listing says it's in Sydney, the pictures have Victorian plates and the description says it's in Hobart... If you sorted all that out it might be a good buy...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-944-manual-/322210072220?hash=item4b0537869c:g:uGsAAOSwtnpXmsp-

Ebay says, Item Location: Double Bay

Query: Are you bringing the car to Sydney. Answer: NO

Go figure...