Skunk Works 964 "RS-4" project

would love to know what those contraptions are and what they are measuring during the build...

1. Measuring the height and compression of the valve springs. Due to manufacturing and metallurgy differences they are not all 100% the same out of the box. Shims are added to compensate for variation.

2. "Cc-ing" the cylinders to check they are all the exact same capacity and to compensate where they are not

3. Remote angle sensor (inclinometer) to measure crank rotation

Not many people actually know that valve springs are shimmed. Not sure about production cars like toyota ect. But performance cars from factory have shimmed valve springs so they all have the same pressure at the same heights. Otherwise you can damage the camshaft or other parts depending on the engine. 

Can I just say honestly, without offending I hope, that abso-fricken-lutely love everything about this car.......except the wheels.  They just don't feel right to me.  I can't quite put my finger on it...it's like they are not "Porsche" enough...or maybe not "Motorsport" enough.  If that makes any sense...  That is just for my taste though, thinking how I'd like it to be if it were mine, interpreted from the little glimpses you're teasing us with.  

But everything else - NAILED!

At least I know if you're ever selling it, all I gotta do is change the wheels! ;)

Can I just say honestly, without offending I hope, that abso-fricken-lutely love everything about this car.......except the wheels.

No offence taken!

This was the inspiration. Porsche feel they are Posche enough for the 918 :)

image001_1.jpg

While not exactly the same, they are as close as we could get given the limitations of the 964s peculiar pcd, centre bore, offset etc

Admittedly they are not to everyone's taste - I'd probably go so far as to say they are polarising. If we weren't looking to do something different, or a little "out there", I would have just got some BBS LM like every other Tom, Dick and Harry. 

No offence taken!

This was the inspiration. Porsche feel they are Posche enough for the 918 :)

image001_1.jpg

While not exactly the same, they are as close as we could get given the limitations of the 964s peculiar pcd, centre bore, offset etc

Admittedly they are not to everyone's taste - I'd probably go so far as to say they are polarising. If we weren't looking to do something different, or a little "out there", I would have just got some BBS LM like every other Tom, Dick and Harry. 

Similar? OZ Racing Ultraleggera...in black or even Acid Lime!  

3DCB67EF-E6AB-41FA-B8BB-2114AF19E2A2.png

b2a0d944-f1a4-4445-9fd1-b384519bdeca.png

I do have a soft spot for OZ Racing wheels, have Superturismo's on our Suby and very happy with them.  Light, Strong and proven in motorsport.  I would find it VERY hard not to buy that green set if I were you!  The good thing about wheels is it's not too hard to have an alternate set and when you get bored or the mood strikes you can really transform the look of your car.

This 918 wheel has always intrigued me...sure I've seen replicas of these somewhere...they would look pretty mean on yours too.

2015-porsche-918-spyder-right-wheel.jpg

Similar? OZ Racing Ultraleggera...in black or even Acid Lime!  

This 918 wheel has always intrigued me...sure I've seen replicas of these somewhere...they would look pretty mean on yours too.

We looked into Oz racing (superleggera and ultraleggera) but they wouldn't fit - more aimed at FWD cars with small pcd. There was only one Oz racing wheel that would fit and it was horrid. 

I've seen something similar to the 918 wheels you posted but in 20" on Commodores (Tempe tyres specials) therefore RWD offsets . Like these, but different - more "spokes". It's the closest I could find without knowing what brand I'm looking for http://wheels.beaurepaires.com.au/wheelbrands/ssw/ultimate/full_polish_black_matt

I like your wheel choice, I'd like them even more if they had some concave

Thanks. Kicking myself for not getting these though http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/11/05/1227113/280259-e205acaa-6471-11e4-a360-a5bf402bfb8e.jpg

Incredible mate, the engine is phenomenal. 

Can't wait to see this car finished. 

I like the Jag speaker grills too, nice finish. 

Aiming to have it ready for a road trip over christmas. Can't wait to see (and hear!!) it on the dyno in a few weeks. 

Let's arrange an SMT where we all head into AH to collect the car with you and give it a group christening!

Thanks. Kicking myself for not getting these though http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/11/05/1227113/280259-e205acaa-6471-11e4-a360-a5bf402bfb8e.jpg

Aiming to have it ready for a road trip over christmas. Can't wait to see (and hear!!) it on the dyno in a few weeks.