It's interesting, I don't actually think the prices have declined that much.  I think that they reflect the current cars not being of the same quality as the ones that sold earlier for higher prices. Most of the cars for sale at the moment are high kms, all in the mid to higher 200k mark, hence why they are not worth high $30's. But then look at Rob's immaculate car, he'll get close to his asking prices for that, there is nothing else for sale in 944's even remotely close to that. 

This is probably a reasonable point.  I think we all know that good cars sell well for good prices if everything is transparent.  If the car is honest & the seller is an open book there are buyers willing to pay good money.  Cars that have price limiting factors will always take a bit longer to sell.  Again I think that when you are looking at 30 plus year old cars it comes down to condition rather than just "low K's".  If there are receipts for work done & the car looks good then I think they are worth good money- maybe not as much as a low k car that has been well looked after but hopefully they aren't a fire sale item.  

But then look at Rob's immaculate car, he'll get close to his asking prices for that, there is nothing else for sale in 944's even remotely close to that. 

Agree. If you are in the market for a 944 you should seriously consider this car as its been owned by an enthusiast who 'loved it'. Those are the cars to buy, not the 'cheap' Porsche that will only take $xx to get sorted. 

I think you'll find sellers should adjust their expectations a little bit, even with a top example... the market just isn't what it was 12 months ago. 

Im not referring to any one car, but if you think prices haven't moved (on all Porsche) in the last 6 months, you are out of touch. 

I think you'll find sellers should adjust their expectations a little bit, even with a top example... the market just isn't what it was 12 months ago. 

Im not referring to any one car, but if you think prices haven't moved (on all Porsche) in the last 6 months, you are out of touch. 

I still think that an exceptional car will still command good money.  Turbo's and S2's in exceptional condition are still few and far between. You might see 2 or 3 of each come up in 18 months. If you are looking for only a Turbo or an S2 (not both) then that is 4 to 6 exceptional cars that come up in 3 years. It's not a big market to buy from. I think that you will also find that the owners of exceptional cars are happy to sit on them for 4 or 5 months to get what they want for them. That red 1986 Turbo was a prime example, I can't recall the price he got for it but it was a lot, but he had to wait 4 months.

Rob's car is another good example, if you are after a Turbo right now there is nothing else on the market of the sale quality, not even in S2's. Yeah you are edging (pardon the pun) into Cayman price territory and there are always great Boxster's, but they generally appeal to different buyers and you would still need more than double that to get any water cooled 911 in a remotely similar condition. To me, it makes any $40k something exceptional 944 still good buying.

Jason I don't think that the higher kms cars will ever be fire sale items, they'll just sell for a bit less than the exceptional cars, they are still desirable cars.

At the end of the day it's just my 2 cents and I certainly don't claim to be the expert, our 61 pages of content on this subject reflects that we all have varying opinions (which is healthy and good).

Hi Gentlemen, so what are everyones thoughts on this car, nice price.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1984/SSE-AD-4904055/?Cr=1

It looks great but to me it is too expensive. Like all things though Port if someone out there once had one the same or just loves that model it may go for close to the price, but I imagine the market is limited at the price. Still looks like a nice car though.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1984/SSE-AD-4904055/?Cr=1

He says in his ad that he doesn't want to spend a large amount of time talking about his beautiful car .....

At that price, I think his ears are safe ... ^_^

Had an '84, very "basic".  Once the initial Porsche Kool-aid had worn off, I had a ride in a Turbo and nothing was the same...  Seat covers on this example are a red flag to me.  If the upholstery is good, why not show it? 

Yes agree with all of the above, spotted the seat covers and ?????, if he has had it from new you think he would love the car and want to shout it out to the hills, or has he just been told he has to spend a large amount of money on it, so time to offload.  

"I am very busy, and do not want to spend large amounts of time talking about this beautiful motor car."

Is he selling or just gauging the market, when i ring someone about a car that's what i want to do, talk about the car, isn't that how we sell them?

And you know what, all our time is precious.;)

I think anyone who is selling a 944 put your price up because obviously the market has crept up, hasn't it?

Edited by TINGY944

Price check on aisle 4......

Surely this guy is dreaming!

Has anyone actually dared to call the seller to talk about this "beautiful car".....is it actually a real car in Aust?

"I am very busy, and do not want to spend large amounts of time talking about this beautiful motor car."

Is he selling or just gauging the market, when i ring someone about a car that's what i want to do, talk about the car, isn't that how we sell them?

And you know what, all our time is precious.;)

I think anyone who is selling a 944 put your price up because obviously the market has crept up, hasn't it?

I get it if you're selling a Nissan Micra, but a car that can possibly be deemed to be a collectible at a 'collectible' price? This needs a lot of discussion. If he wants to sell it at that price, it will only go to someone that really wants it. Someone who dreams all day about these. Someone who wants to talk endlessly about it.

Don't want long discussions? List it at $10k

Price check on aisle 4......

Surely this guy is dreaming!

Has anyone actually dared to call the seller to talk about this "beautiful car".....is it actually a real car in Aust?

Funny you should say that Stepo, when I first looked at the pictures it reminded me of Britain. The yards and houses in the background, the Blue Transit parked behind, the white Merc in the other shot. There wasn't anything that reminded me of Australia, no plates on the 944.  I am probably reading too much into it but it did make me think were the photos taken over seas....

I get it if you're selling a Nissan Micra, but a car that can possibly be deemed to be a collectible at a 'collectible' price? This needs a lot of discussion. If he wants to sell it at that price, it will only go to someone that really wants it. Someone who dreams all day about these. Someone who wants to talk endlessly about it.

Ageed, most people ask you to tell them a bit of a story about the car when you ring up about a prestige car, which this is i guess.

What are you going to get here, "sorry, can't be bothered because i haven't got time."

Are you talking about us, think we have spent more time talking about than he ever wanted too :huh:

Funny you should say that Stepo, when I first looked at the pictures it reminded me of Britain. The yards and houses in the background, the Blue Transit parked behind, the white Merc in the other shot. There wasn't anything that reminded me of Australia, no plates on the 944.  I am probably reading too much into it but it did make me think were the photos taken over seas....

I'm going to ring this bloke if i get time today.