3.2 Carrera Market Watch

A market watch thread for the 911 3.2 Carrera which was manufactured from 1984 to 1989.  For those interested, this car came in six main models:

1. Carrera: standard body, usually with teledial cast alloy wheels (the "non-sport")

2. Carrera Sport:  as standard but with front and rear spoilers, sport shock absorbers,  wider road wheels (lightweight cast or forged) and low profile tyres

3. Supersport (called Turbo-Look in America): wider Turbo body, front and rear Turbo spoilers, high performance brakes, uprated suspension and shocks, lightweight wheels with ultra low profile tyres

4.  Club Sport (CS)

5. Speedster: A lowered variant of the cabriolet with Turbo-look body

6. Silver Anniversary and Celebration Models:  for 25 years of the 911 and for the 250,000th 911

To get this thread started:  

CTS has lowered the aggressive $189,995 price on the 1989 silver 3.2 down to a slightly more reasonable $169,995.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.33.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.33.1

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.36.5

Edited by npvpositive

CTS has lowered the aggressive $189,995 price on the 1989 silver 3.2 down to a slightly more reasonable $169,995.

Please don't take it personally, but I have to disagree .....

A 3.2 Carerra ffor  $170k is far from reasonable! ...... 

Although you did say "slightly" ...:lol:

Slightly!   ^_^   Still an eye watering ask for a 3.2 Carrera, though in truth I don't see the prices of sub-100,000km coupes dropping . . . most of these cars were daily drivers so they tend to have high mileage.  And a lot of them were Targas or Cabriolets.  

There are currently 17 Carrera 3.2 cars on carsales.com.au.  7 Coupes, 6 Targas, 4 Cabriolets.  However, 2 of the Coupes are converted LHD cars, so there are actually only 5 "clean" RHD Coupes on the market.

Out of interest, these Coupes are:

1989, silver/black interior, 85,460km, Aussie delivered, asking $169,995 (at CTS)

1986, marble grey/olive, 177,618km, Aussie delivered, asking $135,995 (at CTS)

1986, red/tan, 206,684km, Aussie delivered, asking $102,000 (private)

1984, quartz/beige, 177,000, RHD unclear, asking $124,035 (VIC dealer)

1984, white/blue cloth, 177,688, Aussie delivered, asking $109,900 (Porsche WA)

Seems well priced for an import ..... would be worth checking out for anyone interested in getting into affordable 911 ownership .....

Just as a side note Pete, has your car sold yet??

Under offer.  Surprised Nick didn't reference it above in his CTS review as its a great example of a 3.2 and probably the latest one sold in the country.

That's why I asked ..... it wasn't on "the list"! ..... 

Congrats ..... hope you got what you wanted. Onwards and upwards .....:D

Under offer.  Surprised Nick didn't reference it above in his CTS review as its a great example of a 3.2 and probably the latest one sold in the country.

Pete, love that car!  Didn't list it only because CTS has taken it down off carsales.com.au . . . presumably because it's under offer

Carsales shows as $190k.

I just don't get it. Agreed a very nice example, but 190k or there abouts is ludicrous.

The market has changed significantly since the desperation times of 12-24 months or so ago where cars were being purchased for what then seemed silly money sight unseen, no PPI etc etc.

I find it interesting that there is a lot of choice of 3.2 cars at big money, though way less than this car, that have been for sale for ages, a lot of which seem on paper to be pretty good cars.

I suppose given the shift in buying & buyers criteria and the lack of the "Missing Out" panic, the question is, how come the prices are still rising so quickly in a market that is significantly slower than it was with more choice than we have had in a long time?

in most other markets where supply is higher than demand then prices drop.

Interested to hear others comments.

Seems well priced though I always feel uncomfortable when the odometer has been changed from miles to km.  Would want to see a very tight paper trail of service records with mileage

Fours cars for sale that I missed due to the bizarre inaccuracy of the carsales.com.au search algorithm:

1987, forest green/blue leather, 265,000km Aussie delivered, asking $95,500 (private, VIC)

1985, India red/black leather, 128,813km, Aussie delivered, asking $148,000 (RSR)

1985, granite grey/charcoal cloth, 167,200km, Aussie delivered, asking $139,990 (Duttons)

1984, slate blue/blue pinstripes,180,000km, RHD but unclear, asking $130,000 (private, SA).  Nice to see a standard, non-sport model

I saw it in March last year.

Originally an Irish car.

No service history after 5,000 miles (as the ad said) so impossible to tell what the mileage really was.

To me it just looked tired and like it had been driven but not really cared for.

Been chewed over before and there's a few semi active threads C3 versus SC etc 

im not buyin nor selling, if was then I'd be liking 3.2 pricing more n more though I'm not getting any feel of where the handshake occurs.

What i do see is the top end dealer pricing floating and falling, whilst the private sellers hold on grimly to some big numbers and irrespective of cond etc. 

conventional pfa wisdom says SC's are less than 90k  cars, are 3.2's that vaunted they command premiums over equivalent SC's and C3's?

Driven 3.2's and in normal conditions and driving they feel mostly like the IB cars that came before.

Sure  each has its own market, so I'm not wading into the market is out of touch warble,  however and rarity aside, what the rationale for the elevated numbers?

Been chewed over before and there's a few semi active threads C3 versus SC etc 

im not buyin nor selling, if was then I'd be liking 3.2 pricing more n more though I'm not getting any feel of where the handshake occurs.

What i do see is the top end dealer pricing floating and falling, whilst the private sellers hold on grimly to some big numbers and irrespective of cond etc. 

conventional pfa wisdom says SC's are less than 90k  cars, are 3.2's that vaunted they command premiums over equivalent SC's and C3's?

Driven 3.2's and in normal conditions and driving they feel mostly like the IB cars that came before.

Sure  each has its own market, so I'm not wading into the market is out of touch warble,  however and rarity aside, what the rationale for the elevated numbers?

Seems to be one of those situations, much like the Aussie delivered thing, that ....... just is!

I've never really understood the gap between them, and no I've never driven a 3.2, but seriously, would the average driver even notice or care what the minute difference is?

I can understand the C3 difference in pricing though ......

There might not be a lot that separate the Sc and 3.2 on the road, but there are differences. IMO, those differences are worth some premium, but then you need to add a premium for the 3.2's place in history, as the last (ultimate?) iteration of the IB cars and, for me the most important thing, the last Porsche before they added "nanny state" drivers aids as standard . Do those things all add up to the premium we see?

One of the British mags had an article on SC vs 3.2 pricing, with one trader arguing that they were now very close in value to each other. However, the values he quoted for the SC were below what similar condition 3.2's are being advertised for, so who knows!

I have been lucky enough to own & drive each of SC, 3.2 & C3 extensively on both road & track. If you ignore rarity (investment potential) & judge them on how they drive they are very similar (I can hear the gasps of outrage...ha ha). The extra torque of the 3.2 is noticeable & it's a lovely car to drive around town while the SC & C3 rev harder & you to have to use the gears a bit more. Each are sensational cars if well maintained while the opposite is true for poorly maintained ones. 

IMHO people should buy the very best they can afford regardless of model & enjoy it !! If you're looking for an investment & can afford a C3 it's a thing of beauty but if your budget doesn't stretch & you buy a decent SC or 3.2 you shouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it....& no doubt get your money back plus some in the future ?

Cheers

Agree with the comment that the 3.2 is quite a bit more "useable" in busy city traffic.  Gearbox makes a difference IMO, especially if the 915 is tired.  A strong G50 is a big step up in performance versus a worn out 915 gearbox. Or put slightly differently, I think the 915 has much lower tolerance for thrashed bushes, worn gears, poor driver skills, etc.  A tired G50 is still "ok", but a tired 915 driven by someone who isn't used to it is total crap . ..  and there are a lot of tired 915 boxes out there.

(oh, and the AC is better on the later model 3.2s with larger vents).

The extra torque of the 3.2 is noticeable & it's a lovely car to drive around town while the SC & C3 rev harder & you to have to use the gears a bit more.

So the 3.2 is the car you need to use at Sandown 'cause you need the torque to pull you out of the stop/go corners. And the SC is the car to use at Phillip Island when you want to wring its neck with some revs while you're thinkin' your a race driver.

You want the g50 box on an Oz del car, you get the lower HP 3.2

Our "Oz delivered is best" friends always seem to ignore that one! You get a lower powered car, which is heavier, but at least you get bigger air vents:P. It always seems a bit ironic that they brought in the G50 to better handle the power, only to reduce the power:wacko:

This is why for me, the sweet spot for Oz delivered cars has to be the 915 cars. For all the talk of the crap box, many find that if they drive a good 915, they actually like it or even prefer it. 

This is why for me, the sweet spot for Oz delivered cars has to be the 915 cars. For all the talk of the crap box, many find that if they drive a good 915, they actually like it or even prefer it. 

I've concluded that the 3.2 is one model where the "Oz delivery premium" makes no sense at all.  To me the "pick of the litter" is an 87-89 UK car with the 930.20/26 engine . . . full 231 bhp, G50 and the better AC.  Well, actually the Club Sport is my true pick of litter, but at £160,000 for a good one I may have missed the boat. 

I've concluded that the 3.2 is one model where the "Oz delivery premium" makes no sense at all.  To me the "pick of the litter" is an 87-89 UK car with the 930.20/26 engine . . . full 231 bhp, G50 and the better AC.  Well, actually the Club Sport is my true pick of litter, but at £160,000 for a good one I may have missed the boat. 

We will have to disagree on the 915 vs G50 argument, because I will take my 915 over the G50 every time. For me, it's far more satisfying to use and I don't mind the probably only psychological benefit of the lighter car. As for the aircon, how many UK cars had that? I think they are very few. I also believe the benefits of the extra vents is nice, but not a real winner because you can get enough cooling with the smaller vents, or it is very easy to get more and then out perform the later cars.

As for the Oz premium making now sense, if it makes sense on any model, it makes sense for all. The reasons for Oz premium are nothing to do with specification. (Yes, Kurt, I understand them even if I don't agree with them!:P)