3.2 Carrera Market Watch

Wrong Guards red was correct for the 80s check with Porsche Australia.

Here's my understanding:  it's the same colour (same paint formulation, see paint chip below) but the Porsche factory changed the official name three times.  These days everyone tends to lump them together as "Guards Red G1".  

I believe that the paint name "Guards Red" was never used in the UK/Australia/ROW on the 3.2 Carrera (and I'd be surprised if anyone has an original G1G1 colour code sticker on an Aussie 3.2).   Guards Red was used in the US marketing materials because "Indian" was considered possibly offensive.  For example, if you look at this 1986 French brochure you will see that it is called Indian Red while this 1985 USA brochure calls it Guards Red.

http://coochas.com/brochures/Resources/911-1985.pdf

http://coochas.com/brochures/Resources/911-1986-French.pdf

gred12405399181309398098.jpg

Edited by npvpositive

Even on a 991 today it is still called Indischrot, which is obviously German for Indian Red.

Aren't all the colours are primarily named in German, then given an English translation?

In this case it would look like they've dodged calling it Indian Red...

But what I want to know is, 

Not after guesses. Want to know for a fact what color it is.

Even on a 991 today it is still called Indischrot, which is obviously German for Indian Red.

Aren't all the colours are primarily named in German, then given an English translation?

In this case it would look like they've dodged calling it Indian Red...

But what I want to know is, 

Not after guesses. Want to know for a fact what color it is.

Orangey-red?

• 2 weeks later...

There are currently 17 Carrera 3.2 cars on carsales.com.au.  7 Coupes, 6 Targas, 4 Cabriolets.  However, 2 of the Coupes are converted LHD cars, so there are actually only 5 "clean" RHD Coupes on the market.

Out of interest, these Coupes are:

1989, silver/black interior, 85,460km, Aussie delivered, asking $169,995 (at CTS)

1986, marble grey/olive, 177,618km, Aussie delivered, asking $135,995 (at CTS)

1986, red/tan, 206,684km, Aussie delivered, asking $102,000 (private)

1984, quartz/beige, 177,000, RHD unclear, asking $124,035 (VIC dealer)

1984, white/blue cloth, 177,688, Aussie delivered, asking $109,900 (Porsche WA)

I flew over to Perth a month ago now and bought the 1984, white/blue cloth, 177,688, Aussie delivered - price had dropped from the price listed as it was being sold as part of a divorce settlement so were keen to sell. Still unfortunately on its way back East, after floods a few weeks ago closed the rail freight line in WA.

Very excited as it is my first Porsche!

KU0vBRQ.jpg

I flew over to Perth a month ago now and bought the 1984, white/blue cloth, 177,688, Aussie delivered - price had dropped from the price listed as it was being sold as part of a divorce settlement so were keen to sell. Still unfortunately on its way back East, after floods a few weeks ago closed the rail freight line in WA.

Very excited as it is my first Porsche!

KU0vBRQ.jpg

my old car.  You will be very happy with it!

my old car.  You will be very happy with it!

Really? Nice PhilH!

There was a large pile of receipts and the PPI done by Mark Poole showed really good leak down numbers, so wondering if it has a top end rebuild whilst you owned it or if not before you purchased it?

I would love to chat via PM to find out more about the history of the car if you don't mind?

Really? Nice PhilH!

There was a large pile of receipts and the PPI done by Mark Poole showed really good leak down numbers, so wondering if it has a top end rebuild whilst you owned it or if not before you purchased it?

I would love to chat via PM to find out more about the history of the car if you don't mind?

Happy to give you anything I can on the car.  Have a few photos etc I can share with you.  Mark Poole did all the work on it while I had the car......it really was a great car and had always been kept in top condition before I bought it as well.

Have sent you a PM

Phil

Thanks Phil. I've replied already.

I had actually organised to see the Red 911 at Autohaus in Sydney discussed earlier, but was always drawn back to your old car. So I phoned Perth to discuss its condition.

It all sounded very good over the phone, so I paid a deposit over the phone to hold it on proviso I was happy after inspecting it. Flew over first thing Saturday morning and spent a number of hours looking over the car, all the documentation and then gave it a test drive. Given the great figures on the leak down test and other work done plus having traveled ~60,000km less than the Sydney car I signed on the dotted line!

Still went up to Sydney the following Monday as I couldn't refund my ticket. Instead of looking at the other car, I took the ferry to Manly. There I had a swim and fish and chips on the beach for lunch and then spent the afternoon in the Art gallery before flying back home.

Thanks Phil. I've replied already.

I had actually organised to see the Red 911 at Autohaus in Sydney discussed earlier, but was always drawn back to your old car. So I phoned Perth to discuss its condition.

It all sounded very good over the phone, so I paid a deposit over the phone to hold it on proviso I was happy after inspecting it. Flew over first thing Saturday morning and spent a number of hours looking over the car, all the documentation and then gave it a test drive. Given the great figures on the leak down test and other work done plus having traveled ~60,000km less than the Sydney car I signed on the dotted line!

Still went up to Sydney the following Monday as I couldn't refund my ticket. Instead of looking at the other car, I took the ferry to Manly. There I had a swim and fish and chips on the beach for lunch and then spent the afternoon in the Art gallery before flying back home.

Nice way to spend a Saturday! and a Monday...?

See the $159k silver one at CTS is under offer.  With only 85,000km on the clock it was unusual and not really representative of the broader market.  Be interesting to see what the actual sale price was though.

See the $159k silver one at CTS is under offer.  With only 85,000km on the clock it was unusual and not really representative of the broader market.  Be interesting to see what the actual sale price was though.

Certainly not representative of the market, but over the last 3-4 months, CTS have done pretty well selling 3.2's of different mileages, although all have been pretty good looking cars. Although we don't know the sale prices, it would seem that they have managed to get what most would consider top of the market prices, even if it has taken time. My guess is that they would say the market hasn't so much corrected but that it is harder to sell cars.

Someone I know offered $150K and they knocked it back

there might be your $$$ range

• 2 years later...

What is everyone's view on the current 3.2 market?  I had a read of this old thread and prices seem to be pretty in line with 2017, so not much movement at all!  Great Aust del examples are ~$160k, higher mileage aust del examples ~$100k.

I thought I bought mine at the top of the curve early 2017, but without knowing what the current crop of cars on carsales are selling for rather than listed price it is hard to say.

Having said that mine is currently now insured for $20K more than what I bought it for and when I picked it up yesterday from Stuart at Nine Auto after its yearly service he suggested I would get minimum another $5K over that considering its condition and mileage which is now ~185400 km. And it is definitely not for sale!

BTW, enjoyed the thread bump reading my excited post purchase posts!

21 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

I've got the white 3.2 on sale from the Healey Factory now out for a PPI, will report back on how that goes!

Car looks very nice and original and price looks pretty good to me as well, good luck with it all.

I purchased my first car from the Healey Factory and I'm often surprised how well their cars are priced against other classic outlets with similar stock.

If nothing has changed, I believe they always use Auto Coupe for mechanical work and inspections organised by them.  I bought my car before they had prepared it, so went with their inspection and the list came back with many things to correct, several thousands which they had done prior to me picking the car up, very happy with their sale process, there is always someone that will have a different experience.