997 GT3 Market Watch

There's a 996GT3 and a 991GT3 market watch thread, so I thought I'd start one for the 997GT3s.

Part of my motivation was because of some recent price drops, so it will be interesting to see how they sell.

There are currently four 7 GT3s for sale on carsales.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-5058332/?Cr=0

Club sport, White with orange trim (mirrors, wheels) MY07. Car appears to be on WOVR and has minimal history. 21k km Price $165k (recently dropped from $175k)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-5161543/?Cr=3

Club sport, black MY07. Full service history with 38k km. Price $195k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-4670370/?Cr=1

Club sport, white MY08. Full Service history with 33k km. Price $198k (recently dropped from $208k)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-4047460/?Cr=2

Touring, white MY08. Full service history with 42k km. Price $225k

Seems GT3s are now sub $200k cars, with the black GT3 sitting at $195k for a little while, possibly suggesting they may need to move a little lower.

The white and orange car might be a good buy for someone wanting to drive and wrench. $165k when other GT3s were selling for $225k would probably make it a good buy. Presuming you could negotiate one of the other cars to $185k, $165k seems a tad high. Maybe $150k would pull a buyer?? Makes the 6/7 GT3 market around the $160k a little crowded.

I think 997 GT3 have more room to drop, I am sure I will buy one one day.  But in my opinion they need to drop 30% to be fair value. 

My logic is vast majority of 911 owners are analog guys - these cars are fantastic but have driver aids. Forget air cooled vs water cooled - analogue vs digital is the step change for people to get their head around.

In my opinion it’s the reason why we go back to the older cars, they are smelly, hot etc.  But they make you earn the driving pleasure, albeit at lower speeds.

5 minutes ago, Jason A said:

I think 997 GT3 have more room to drop, I am sure I will buy one one day.  But in my opinion they need to drop 30% to be fair value. 

My logic is vast majority of 911 owners are analog guys - these cars are fantastic but have driver aids. Forget air cooled vs water cooled - analogue vs digital is the step change for people to get their head around.

In my opinion it’s the reason why we go back to the older cars, they are smelly, hot etc.  But they make you earn the driving pleasure, albeit at lower speeds.

Jason, would you consider the 996 the last of the analogue?

My next 911 will be either a 964/993/996/997 .. the question of analogue or digital is one I also ponder.

I also wonder about turbo or NA .. as the world goes turbo charged the NA cars will be something different. At which point the digital nature of the 997s may not matter.

Luckily for me I have a 996 GT3. I prefer na to Turbo, but suggest you drive both and make your own choice.

996 on are far more civilised than the older cars, but the older they are the more rewarding to drive. Particularly if you push them.

For air cooled I would have any model, from 996 on would only have GT3, RS or Turbo.  Probably get a Turbo when I am to old to go around corners properly and need to make it up on the straights.

Just my opinion 

There is a reason a 74RS is so sought after, it’s pure and simple driving pleasure. I think analog will always matter if you enjoy driving vs point a to point b.

45 minutes ago, Jason A said:

30% drop on say the 195k car = 58500 price reduction ????

hope your not in a hurry 

997 TT and Boost is hard to resist , but you really know life is worth living and something special is going on when your driving the 997GT3.   The most defined and pronounced drive I have been in . It really has a character all of its own. I will be forever glad I have owned one.

The chassis and the intimacy of the cabin, really is a big win for me over the 991 cars that is sublime especially the RS.

In terms of comforts is all there ..  You might consider some comfort seats in a club sport and have the best of both worlds.

Im repeating myself from other posts , but almost daily driven 9000kms in 1 year. I thought i would be done but im not yet , I do have thoughts of keeping it alongside the TT for the rest of my motoring years.. hmm might be love.

To combine other commentary , I think they have softened, maybe 20% , but I wouldnt now be driven by the lowest price, unless I was looking for a hack .

I havent been in a gen 2 and with thoughts of keeping I think .2 is the best bang for buck right now, Im taken by the centre locks but would hate to have to take em off.

These things can require expensive maintenance and when I got my boot stuck in , I wanna know this car is tip top , especially at the warp factor speeds . I personally now would pay and extra 10-20k for a minter.

The 997 is much more a liveable than you think. I love the look of the RS , but cant fathom their prices, I would own yet another car before i went there with my extra 200k.. Maybe a Targa GTS to complete the trio.

I didnt watch the 2014/15 price pop , when RS went 250-350+ and what the 997.1 and or .2's were at that time.   I guess that has a factor on how much they will fall.

With 996 I think 130-170 in my book so 997  gotta be 170-210 for a .1  and 230-270 for a .2 for a while yet

25 minutes ago, Mick said:

hope your not in a hurry 

I was thinking the same.  I looked at 997 GT3s mid 17.  I drove a schmick white CS at RSR, listed at 195k, I reckon I could have bought back then for 185k which was a very sharp price.  Somehow didn't set my world on fire when I drove it though so I test drove a GT4 a couple of months later, loved it and bought that instead.  Seems to me the market has not moved much in 8 months or so to suggest mid 130s (30% drop) seems VERY wishful thinking. 

The 997.2 I almost bought (and I feel safe saying this because it appears sold now) I negotiated down to $235k when it was listed at $269k. That was a CS minter with ~18000km on it. This was September last year. At the time all of the .1s on the market were 200k+. 

Going back a bit further, around the time I bought my 997.1S, so that was July 14, not long before that a guards red 997.1 CS GT3 listed at around $135k, most other GT3s were sitting around $150-160k so they've already gone that low. They could easily go back there.

The GT3's are a special car end of story!!! They are the Porsches that are built for the enthusiast driver....if your fortunate enough to be able to afford one, you best do it.  I mean if your some one who wants to do a full on track season or a few track days a year wants that ultimate connection with some of your favourite country roads then they offer up the EXPERIENCE your looking for. Everything from the seating position, gearbox, big brakes and that N/A donk.... there is no better experience. I owned a 996.2GT3CS for 8 years and now own a 997.2GT3CS which i have had for a few years now, I loved my 996GT3 for what it was, I will say though that i was never really into its skinny hips and funny headlights, apart front the instrument cluster I thought the interior was dreadful however the drive train is a master piece. Funny though during my ownership of the 996 I always lusted after a 997 they just appealed to me more, the body shape was as a GT car should be fat low and muscular looking, the interior quality was leaps and bounds ahead, it is just a delight.With the same or very similar drive train albeit the 997 producing some slightly better numbers. People talk about the 996 being the purist GT3 ie no aids etc...and thats fine however for me I find the aids add to the driving experience more than take away from it, they are very unobtrusive (and can be turned off) they can sit in the back round ready to assist where as in the 996 I felt like it was going to kill me at times :-) Note I did look at buying a 991GT3 at the time I purchased the 997GT3 I drove them back to back on the same 30min semi country loop. The 991 was crazy fast, the PDK is impressive and they look and sound awesome BUT to me it felt BIG and it was too refined, i wasn't looking for that experience it just didn't light me up like i wanted it too. Then I drove the 997 it felt like it wrapped its loving hands around me, it demanded that I do things in order to enjoy it, then that 3.8 Mezger was like my ultimate playlist on repeat!!! . With regard to values, there are limited build numbers for GT cars, the cars on sale at any given time seem to vary a lot in both condition and history yes even the Low KM cars. The best time to buy these luxury items is in a recession and hold them until the economy thrives again otherwise buy what you can afford at the time and drive it as much as you can; being a caring custodian a long the way will ensure it will perform well when it comes time to sell.

22 hours ago, bear924 said:

There's a 996GT3 and a 991GT3 market watch thread, so I thought I'd start one for the 997GT3s.

Part of my motivation was because of some recent price drops, so it will be interesting to see how they sell.

There are currently four 7 GT3s for sale on carsales.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-5058332/?Cr=0

Club sport, White with orange trim (mirrors, wheels) MY07. Car appears to be on WOVR and has minimal history. 21k km Price $165k (recently dropped from $175k)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-5161543/?Cr=3

Club sport, black MY07. Full service history with 38k km. Price $195k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-4670370/?Cr=1

Club sport, white MY08. Full Service history with 33k km. Price $198k (recently dropped from $208k)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-4047460/?Cr=2

Touring, white MY08. Full service history with 42k km. Price $225k

Seems GT3s are now sub $200k cars, with the black GT3 sitting at $195k for a little while, possibly suggesting they may need to move a little lower.

The white and orange car might be a good buy for someone wanting to drive and wrench. $165k when other GT3s were selling for $225k would probably make it a good buy. Presuming you could negotiate one of the other cars to $185k, $165k seems a tad high. Maybe $150k would pull a buyer?? Makes the 6/7 GT3 market around the $160k a little crowded.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

The 997.2 I almost bought (and I feel safe saying this because it appears sold now) I negotiated down to $235k when it was listed at $269k. That was a CS minter with ~18000km on it. This was September last year. At the time all of the .1s on the market were 200k+. 

Going back a bit further, around the time I bought my 997.1S, so that was July 14, not long before that a guards red 997.1 CS GT3 listed at around $135k, most other GT3s were sitting around $150-160k so they've already gone that low. They could easily go back there.

For sure the world economy could somehow GFC again and they could drop dramatically, yep definitely a chance and I’ll bet if that was to happen guys will still be saying “that mint 7.2 Gt3 @ 130k if he’ll take 20%less I might go waste his time and kick the tires on it” If it was for sale for $1 I bet some dick would still ring and offer you .75c

11 minutes ago, Mick said:

For sure the world economy could somehow GFC again and they could drop dramatically, yep definitely a chance and I’ll bet if that was to happen guys will still be saying “that mint 7.2 Gt3 @ 130k if he’ll take 20%less I might go waste his time and kick the tires on it” If it was for sale for $1 I bet some dick would still ring and offer you .75c

Don`t talk about @symsy like that, he really is a nice guy.

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

The GT3's are a special car end of story!!! They are the Porsches that are built for the enthusiast driver....if your fortunate enough to be able to afford one, you best do it.  I mean if your some one who wants to do a full on track season or a few track days a year wants that ultimate connection with some of your favourite country roads then they offer up the EXPERIENCE your looking for. Everything from the seating position, gearbox, big brakes and that N/A donk.... there is no better experience. I owned a 996.2GT3CS for 8 years and now own a 997.2GT3CS which i have had for a few years now, I loved my 996GT3 for what it was, I will say though that i was never really into its skinny hips and funny headlights, apart front the instrument cluster I thought the interior was dreadful however the drive train is a master piece. Funny though during my ownership of the 996 I always lusted after a 997 they just appealed to me more, the body shape was as a GT car should be fat low and muscular looking, the interior quality was leaps and bounds ahead, it is just a delight.

Your 997.2 GT3 CS in white with platinum (?) rims is a thing of beauty, always really liked them.  my white with platinum rims GT4 is younger brother sharing a family resemblance.??

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Yep and back then I was looking at a range of 996 GT3 CS for 85-90k and ended up buying a 996 GT2 for $125k.  And I'd not long sold a 964C2 manual for mid 60s.  And G body cars were cheap.  And......

The whole market shifted up quite rapidly.  Yes it could all conceivably go back down again but not sure it will.  In 2014 991s were a fairly recent thing but we've now seen several years of big 911s with more and more power, mostly PDK, talk of turbo GT cars, talk of mid engined etc.  I doubt very much we'll ever see raw, manual true GT cars again.  Rarity normally means value.  Most enthusiasts looking for a weekend blaster don't seem enamoured with the current stuff like they are with the older GT cars so my gut says demand will keep prices well above 2014 levels.  will be interesting to watch, I don't think anyone can say for sure and I've certainly been wrong on prices before 

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

The 997.2 that you speak of indeed looked like a cracking car, a couple of things held this car back it did not have many option boxes ticked the main one missing was the 7K front lift by memory; speed yellow probably did not help its cause generally speaking, it also had an after market stereo fitted. As an example a few touring spec cars with lift in white and Red Sold in the 250's around the same time.

1 minute ago, Scott SS964 said:

The 997.2 that you speak of indeed looked like a cracking car, a couple of things held this car back it did not have many option boxes ticked the main one missing was the 7K front lift by memory; speed yellow probably did not help its cause generally speaking it also had an after market stereo fitted. As an example a few touring spec cars with lift in white and Red Sold in the 250's around the same time.

Yeah, the yellow car was a CS though. Yes it was yellow. Yes there were almost no options ticked. However the owner in question did have the original stereo in the box so that wasn't a factor for anyone who was looking to buy. There was a black car out of Perth with bugger all kms listed at $295k a few months prior with all the right options. I offered $275k from memory. The dude just laughed, and supposedly it sold at ask. In hindsight I'm glad I waited.

53 minutes ago, DJM said:

Yep and back then I was looking at a range of 996 GT3 CS for 85-90k and ended up buying a 996 GT2 for $125k.  And I'd not long sold a 964C2 manual for mid 60s.  And G body cars were cheap.  And......

The whole market shifted up quite rapidly.  Yes it could all conceivably go back down again but not sure it will.  In 2014 991s were a fairly recent thing but we've now seen several years of big 911s with more and more power, mostly PDK, talk of turbo GT cars, talk of mid engined etc.  I doubt very much we'll ever see raw, manual true GT cars again.  Rarity normally means value.  Most enthusiasts looking for a weekend blaster don't seem enamoured with the current stuff like they are with the older GT cars so my gut says demand will keep prices well above 2014 levels.  will be interesting to watch, I don't think anyone can say for sure and I've certainly been wrong on prices before 

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that its likely. Just that it could. 930s seem to have tanked compared to where they were, whats to say that it doesn't happen to the GT cars?

It wasn't that long ago that depreciation on a GT car was standard. That said I do agree that the GT cars are special, they are scarce, they probably are the end of an era especially the 997s with their hydraulic steering and NA engines, so price will eventually go up. Historically that has been some time after the 20 year mark - rules were made to be broken.

Sticks and stones may scratch my car but names can never hurt me .

Honey is a great word for that can be used for wife , girlfriend or GT3 , but also sends grown men running scared when they realise they dont have a locking fuel cap.

Honey is also the name of my favorite sow .. at the pig farm, where I go to check the tractor tyres

Does anyone know if the grey car has actually sold as it has been listed as sold 3 times this month already? Also, the black car is noted as sold today. Can anyone confirm a rough price?

Talking values, I believe the white/orange car should stand at around $130k. A good 997 gt3 probably bottoms out at $175k. (just my opinion as an owner of one).

7 minutes ago, GRK930 said:

Does anyone know if the grey car has actually sold as it has been listed as sold 3 times this month already? Also, the black car is noted as sold today. Can anyone confirm a rough price?

Talking values, I believe the white/orange car should stand at around $130k. A good 997 gt3 probably bottoms out at $175k. (just my opinion as an owner of one).

Im sure our esteemed local price fixing bunch of motoring lords , will make a few cars come on and off the market , I saw that a lot as the market climbed and they played with scarcity. I have specific examples of cars moving state to state, dealer to dealer..  of course sold every time .

22 hours ago, Mick said:

hope your not in a hurry 

Not sure how long you have been watching the market, here and internionaly. I know guys who bought a 997 GT3 @ $140k, one resold on here last year at what you are quoting as the real price.

My point is in 2014 you could buy a 996 GT3 RS for $170K, only a 20% more than a 997 GT3. Have a look now, why ??  Prices internationalaly on 996 vs 997 will demonstrate if you use new car price vs price today.

Dont worry about headlights and interior on 996 - early cars are worse and no one seems to complain.

Just my opinion of course, time will tell ?

1 hour ago, Jason A said:

Not sure how long you have been watching the market, here and internionaly. I know guys who bought a 997 GT3 @ $140k, one resold on here last year at what you are quoting as the real price.

My point is in 2014 you could buy a 996 GT3 RS for $170K, only a 20% more than a 997 GT3. Have a look now, why ??  Prices internationalaly on 996 vs 997 will demonstrate if you use new car price vs price today.

Dont worry about headlights and interior on 996 - early cars are worse and no one seems to complain.

Just my opinion of course, time will tell ?

Yeah and I didn’t buy a ser2 997 rs done 5ks for 200k either back then but I’m certainly not holding my breath on having that chance again. As for the 996rs I too was waiting for them to drop to 150k and hoping to buy one at that price when they were @ 170k again can’t see that ever happening again and if it does it will be because everything is self drive and your no longer allowed on the road in them 

21 hours ago, GRK930 said:

I sold my 08 Silver GT3 the week before last for 195k. The phones were silent at 229k and 219k, so I took it off CS. But when I put it back on CS at 205k the phone started ringing and I took a deposit the first day. Another guy who rang me just after I sold it was willing to give me a deposit and was going to buy the black one, so may have proceeded with buying it. 

Mine was a fine example and from my experience the only buyers for 997.1 GT3’s (at the moment) are under 200k. 

24 minutes ago, klassisch said:

I sold my 08 Silver GT3 the week before last for 195k. The phones were silent at 229k and 219k, so I took it off CS. But when I put it back on CS at 205k the phone started ringing and I took a deposit the first day. Another guy who rang me just after I sold it was willing to give me a deposit and was going to buy the black one, so may have proceeded with buying it. 

Mine was a fine example and from my experience the only buyers for 997.1 GT3’s are under 200k. 

The truth has set us all free... your insanity in selling .. well we wont judge you ;)     Well maybe you bought a .2