996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, Joz said:

It’s ok because no one calls them a nine hundred and ninety two.🤷‍♂️

And the world is poorer for that. I drive a nine hundred and sixty eight and really want a nine hundred and twenty eight

29 minutes ago, jakroo said:

And the world is poorer for that. I drive a nine hundred and sixty eight and really want a nine hundred and twenty eight

But is it a Por-sh, a Por-sh-a, a Por-sh-eh, or (uses best bogan voice) “an overpriced Beetle”?

13 hours ago, jakroo said:

CMXCVII is 997 in Roman numerals if indeed that is the correct model number.  The sequence that person has used is not a valid combination of numerals.  So while they are clearly able to afford to buy one, it seems to me that they weren't sufficiently talented to come up with the proper way to designate it.

Coierit quod Romanorum :D

2 minutes ago, jakroo said:

I guess you could say that but then Latin is so poorly understood as well 🙂

I was just playing with one of the translators - and was pleased to find that profanity was thing (in addition to the terrific graffiti of the era) :D

38 minutes ago, Rajvosa said:

What do we think doing IMS/clutch etc does to the price of a car?  If the job totals 6k, how much extra can you ask for same car with or without IMS. Specifically cabrio

Well like anyone else, you can ask whatever you want to really, yet having the IMS etc done doesn't justify an extra $10-15k over a car with similar km's that hasn't had it done. 

Those 'In the know' with values/prices aren't stupid, so asking well above a 'normal' price will just see a car sit on carsales for a lot longer

As an owner of a non-GT/T 996 you spend $5k and do the IMS bearing 1. for peace of mind whilst you own and enjoy, and 2. because you know it's going to be an 'issue' when you sell.

As a buyer you want the IMS bearing done 1. because you've read all the forums and are therefore a total expert and demand that your 996 simply must have had the IMS bearing done, 2. You'll pay a premium because you just want to get in and drive!

How much that premium is depends on the market - how much stock and it's relative quality.  But a 996 with the IMS bearing seen to is always going to move quicker/easier than the same car without...

22 hours ago, jakroo said:

CMXCVII is 997 in Roman numerals if indeed that is the correct model number.  The sequence that person has used is not a valid combination of numerals.  So while they are clearly able to afford to buy one, it seems to me that they weren't sufficiently talented to come up with the proper way to designate it.

That plate is indeed available in QLD.   But perhaps  the owner is a millennial  who  moved from a Mexican state up north where practically that combination is not possible and hence not in the teachers syllabus as there is no need to go over six alpha numerics.   Plus IXIXII is much easier to recall and quicker to type when filling out forms on your mobile.

My brother signed up for  a $495 custom Vic plate of " GC8 STI " when he landed his two door sti rexy a few years back .  He could nearly sell the plate at today's offers on it and that would give him virtually a free kick in terms of offsetting the cost of his initial purchase price of his car.   After a look at what a 2 door sti rexy is worthy recently, puts the multiplier on an air cooled P car brought 5 to 6 years ago to shame. 

1 hour ago, Rajvosa said:

What do we think doing IMS/clutch etc does to the price of a car?  If the job totals 6k, how much extra can you ask for same car with or without IMS. Specifically cabrio

Curious, whats the story.  You have come across from the other side (m135? / m3's? posts)  and brought into a cab (seen a bit of the 996 light (cab=???) and a couple of posts in going to do the IMS / clutch and get out.

2 hours ago, Rajvosa said:

I haven't been paying attention in the current market, but when I was buying mine, it seemed like people would pay $5-10k more for a car with the IMS done. So from what I saw, basically what it costs to get it done. So to me buy the car on all of the other factors and if you think it needs it for your peace of mind, then get it done.

2 hours ago, Rajvosa said:

I think you are on the wrong track, Its more if you do the IMS, RMS, Clutch , You will have a sellable car. Good cars have this type of maintenance already  inplace.

2 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Curious, whats the story.  You have come across from the other side (m135? / m3's? posts)  and brought into a cab (seen a bit of the 996 light (cab=???) and a couple of posts in going to do the IMS / clutch and get out.

No story really. Have had bunch of BMW’s but always was curious about Porsche. Had opportunity to purchase this one off a friend who was selling his. Gave me a great price which made it “safe” to try. I love it but I’d rather a coupe. So plan was to test and try and then see how I go.

currently starting process to subdivide my rental property land blah blah so would be nice to free up the cash, and then get back into another Porsche once that’s sorted. 

11 hours ago, MFX said:

I haven't been paying attention in the current market, but when I was buying mine, it seemed like people would pay $5-10k more for a car with the IMS done. So from what I saw, basically what it costs to get it done. So to me buy the car on all of the other factors and if you think it needs it for your peace of mind, then get it done.

The problem it seems at the moment is that rather than cars without the work done being advertised at a discount, these cars are being advertised at "market prices" (that's another topic for discussion) and the cars with the work done are then priced $10k higher.

1 hour ago, the_sovereign_man said:

The problem it seems at the moment is that rather than cars without the work done being advertised at a discount, these cars are being advertised at "market prices" (that's another topic for discussion) and the cars with the work done are then priced $10k higher.

I still think exceptional cars sell regardless of IMS - it needs to be factored in, but I'd still have bought my particular car even without the IMS being done - it was that good.  I'd have stoned up the extra $3.5-$6k (depending on what option you choose) and got it done.  Depending on the overall value of the car, it's a maintenance item and just something to get done as a relatively small % of the car's value.  In my head it's a bit similar to a "big" 4x4 service including timing belts and waterpumps - $3k, but gotta get it done.

24 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I still think exceptional cars sell regardless of IMS - it needs to be factored in, but I'd still have bought my particular car even without the IMS being done - it was that good.  I'd have stoned up the extra $3.5-$6k (depending on what option you choose) and got it done.  Depending on the overall value of the car, it's a maintenance item and just something to get done as a relatively small % of the car's value.  In my head it's a bit similar to a "big" 4x4 service including timing belts and waterpumps - $3k, but gotta get it done.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I've got no problem with buying a 'non IMS' car, as long as everything else stacks up. As you said, it's just a service cost to factor in. 

14 minutes ago, MichaelF said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I've got no problem with buying a 'non IMS' car, as long as everything else stacks up. As you said, it's just a service cost to factor in. 

I'm in the same boat. Given the option of buying a car without the IMS done or one with the interior trim/seats/carpets beat to hell, I'd take the former.

59 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I'm in the same boat. Given the option of buying a car without the IMS done or one with the interior trim/seats/carpets beat to hell, I'd take the former.

Very generally speaking, the guy/girl with the really well looked after trim/seats/carpets is also the kind of owner who has probably had the IMS done :D  "Buy the owner" and all that...

I bought my 996 from the owner of a Porsche workshop, he'd had it for close to 10 years and regular maintenance was used in newsletters to promote his business.  Oil fed IMS fitted, sports exhaust, polished headlights........the list goes on.  They still spent around $3k getting the car ready for me and I just spent close to $2k on it's first service, goes to show there is always something to spend your money on. 

I wouldn't be put off by no IMS upgrade, a bonus if it's there and get it done if it isn't.  

If you're considering a 996, just do it!  They are such a wonderful car, you won't be disappointed.

10 hours ago, MichaelF said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I've got no problem with buying a 'non IMS' car, as long as everything else stacks up. As you said, it's just a service cost to factor in

Exactly my mind set. Factor it in to pricing. My 6.1 only needs the ims done as everything else is now mint. Still not sure if I will do it before I sell as everything else on the car stacks up. I suppose market will tell me at the time by price or time on market

24 minutes ago, Tips said:

Exactly my mind set. Factor it in to pricing. My 6.1 only needs the ims done as everything else is now mint. Still not sure if I will do it before I sell as everything else on the car stacks up. I suppose market will tell me at the time by price or time on market

It’s like the Aussie delivered thing or the LHD vs RHD ... some will, some won’t.

I guess the only thing you can be sure of is that if the IMS is done, everyone will.