996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

21 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

He seems to be getting lots of push-back in the comment section.

Yeah, there’s a bit of fair scepticism in there 😅 He seems undeterred though 😁 I suspect he’s going to be disappointed by the market…

1 hour ago, tomo said:

The highspec 98 on collecting cars is up to 49250 with four days to go , Will it get to 65 K ?.

That’s a lovely car. I’m not sure if it’ll hit $65, but I imagine it’ll sell for more than the FB cab does in the end.

On 14/08/2021 at 10:17, Steve996 said:

I don’t mind this at all, even with its Savannah trim. Interesting colour, Aus delivered, factory aero and LSD, with low kms. 👌
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1998-porsche-911-996-carrera-1?fbclid=IwAR0uLjDbIst5SgqpndXSdMXiZq9E1-zkpZeuIf-HNvikoOcL086SQkZcnBk

I think this was the car on Carsales a little while back that had gold wheels; now looks like back to factory BBS rims?

On 14/08/2021 at 10:17, Steve996 said:

I don’t mind this at all, even with its Savannah trim. Interesting colour, Aus delivered, factory aero and LSD, with low kms. 👌
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1998-porsche-911-996-carrera-1?fbclid=IwAR0uLjDbIst5SgqpndXSdMXiZq9E1-zkpZeuIf-HNvikoOcL086SQkZcnBk

Comprehensive options list alright, lovely car! 

The thing with the Aerokits is a bit complicated with different versions and the presence or not of codes.  Some say if it doesn't have the XAA or XAE codes it wasn't factory fitted, elsewhere you'll find people saying the opposite.  Factory parts, dealer fitted when new is certainly a possibility if the codes are not present.  The 09991 indicates Exclusive program, but that is present with many of the exterior or interior trim options.

I'm curious because my car also does not have XAA or XAE but has 09991 and the Carerra aerokit non-taco style wing with sideskirts but no front spoiler.  Somewhere I've found that the 996.2 didn't have the front lip regardless, that was only the .1's.  Endless pondering during lockdown... either way I love the look of my Aerokit whether factory fitted or not.

Bloody nice car that though.  Be interesting to see what it fetches.

14 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

For the archives - the 2001 Seal(?) Grey 996.2 tip coupe in Tassie, passed in at $48k and re-listed with a buy now of $55k, has sold for $52k https://tradinggarage.com/product/2001-porsche-911-996-carrera/ 

A fair price, and exactly what I paid for it 3 years ago.    Being a purchase from a dealer I probably paid a bit more than market, and I suspect location in Tassie probably made the sale a bit harder.  Anyone from here the purchaser?  Sovereign Man?  You appear to have been keeping a pretty close eye on it

3 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

A fair price, and exactly what I paid for it 3 years ago.    Being a purchase from a dealer I probably paid a bit more than market, and I suspect location in Tassie probably made the sale a bit harder.  Anyone from here the purchaser?  Sovereign Man?  You appear to have been keeping a pretty close eye on it

Alas, it was not me. By the time I'd have paid the 6% buyers fee, shipped it to god's country, and sorted the IMS, I'd be in for ~$62k. At that price I'm more inclined to buy one I can see in the flesh.

I don't need another P car, I just want one ... maybe two. An air-cooled of some description (manual coupe), to satisfy that itch, and a tipper of some description, possibly in a cab, for weekends around the hinterland when I'm not up for ten-tenths I've-just-shat-my-pants driving. After that I'd be maxed out for garage space and I'll turn my focus back to the two wheel collection.

Love the old saying "Well I'm in no hurry to sell..." yet drops the price by a few grand and still has it advertised 😅

I could've bought a nice Aussie '98 tip coupe recently for under $50k (not to mention an imported tip for even less!), so a cab of similar vintage for $65k is a biiiiig stretch

9 hours ago, tomo said:

The high spec 98 @ 68 k plus, Couple of days to go .

Who's bidding on this atm..!?  My brother is in with more than a pound of flesh but they keep sniping away.!

Looks like a new benchmark for a 996.1 Manual..?  Lovely looking car.

45 minutes ago, WOKA said:

Who's bidding on this atm..!?  My brother is in with more than a pound of flesh but they keep sniping away.!

Looks like a new benchmark for a 996.1 Manual..?  Lovely looking car.

Some one using the acronym of "Mondays " Looks like it will meet reserve of 75 K

14 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Looks like it sold for $76k, did your bro win it @WOKA?

In other news, that tidy black targa also sold today too…

9CB73BDB-0867-4B24-B476-9F7F6E6E63A0.jpeg

Wow, this is precisely my car but I have manual. I think my asking of $80k is pretty reasonable then.

23 minutes ago, Rajvosa said:

do you guys think a fresh full respray hurts the value of the car when selling?
just had it done through insurance. Copped some stone chips on the front and side and they approved full respray. 

B9355498-1940-4-A73-95-C8-995917-D5-C581

Generous insurer. If it hasn't been done already, I would take photos of it now to show why resprayed to a potential buyer and grab the opportunity of a respray with both hands! :) 

19 minutes ago, Rajvosa said:

just had it done through insurance. Copped some stone chips on the front and side and they approved full respray. 

I think it does for collectors, as they wonder what damage it is covering. The trouble is most 20 year old cars are going to have some stone chips and parking dings, so a good quality respray should be a virtue.

Unfortunately it is similar to an engine rebuild. People look at that negatively as well (maybe not as much in older air cooled cars) even though if it was done by a good shop and it is a great fresh engine.

37 minutes ago, Rajvosa said:

It absolutely does in a general sense... but for the right buyer, its a bonus! I'd be cautious of how you approach the matter when selling, as you will get a lot of dick heads trying to beat you down over this... don't fret, as they are the same ones who will complain about stone chips on a 20 year old car that has been used. 

Keep the ad brief, and offer up the information on enquiry, otherwise you will be inundated will with tyre kickers using this as a discount code. 

I think you've been given some good advice.  A refinished car is is either good or bad depending on the buyers perspective - that's nothing you can really influence.

Paint and refinishing can be treated a bit like mechanicals - a Paint PPI can be conducted including a report on paint prep, type, brand, colour, thickness, and quality of the finish. 

An honest candid response to any genuine buyers should solve any dramas - anoraks can move on, genuine buyers can weigh the info and decide if the car is for them.

1 hour ago, Rajvosa said:

No, not on a 996 because they are not collectable.  You could argue that a 3,000 kms 996 should never need repainting and that's correct, but even a bicycle falls against a 3,000 kms car when it's sitting in the garage.  I would always take a non re-painted car over a re-painted one, like for like, but that's just me.

IMO it depends why it was re-painted.  If the seller repainted the car due to stone chips, or the above bike falling against it, then I would ask to see before and after images that the seller should have taken and draw your own conclusions.  I would also visit the shop that performed the work to check that their processes include correct preparation.  Any painter can make a re-paint looks reasonable for the first 12 months.

If it was repainted because the car hit a tree before ending up submerged in a lake, then I would not want the car, even if was for free.  

5 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

This would be the point for me, and yes, keep before and after photos, and don't change the colour.

Full respray seems excessive here though....?

Well yes, never change the colour.  Assuming you are preserving originality as much as possible.

I can't comment on the full respray of the car in question because I haven't seen the before images of the car.  Nor what the owner chose to do under the circumstances.  In my own case, my 996 was re-painted fully but at the time I deemed that unnecessary.  I had an animal strike OSF at low speed luckily, the result of which was damage in the front PU panel near the air intake.  

I was adamant I only wanted the PU panel re-painted because I'm an originality freak.  In the end, after discussion with the painter, the entire car was re-painted which went against my initial thoughts.  The reason was to preserve the new finish over the entire car.  There were numerous existing paint marks (The car is used mainly in the country on B roads).  At the time it had around 50,000 kms on its original paint.  There was also a small mark in the rear 1/4 where a clumsy owner marked the panel whilst removing the hardtop.  So I chose to fix that as well at the same time.   Let's call it scope creep.  The insurance (Shannons) paid for the damage to the front and for the rest of the unrelated work, I tipped in the excess.  Once the car was apart, it was surprisingly inexpensive.  (Paint and Custom, Thornbury)

Here's the original damage:

L1350616_zpsgzfal79y.jpg

L1350127_zps1ldfjhkw.jpg

Which resulted in this:

L1350757_zps82g0psnu.jpg

L1350737_zpsigzryzzu.jpg

L1350694_zpsps5v6ydc.jpg

L1360061_zpsjphnkn4n.jpg

Of course, once you're in there, I ended up cleaning all the lights, wheel arches, engine bay, radiator intakes, you know how it goes.  All from a split in the PU panel!

Whilst if I was looking for another 996, or any other late model Porsche for that matter, original paint carries a significant cache for me.  But it's not a deal breaker if the car has otherwise been looked after as per the manufacturers directives and the previous owner.

However when I think about it, the cars are not collectable and we'll all be dead soon, so go out and buy a really good car and enjoy yourself.  Forums abound with gunnas masturbating to their ceaseless droning about justifying not buying a car.

Happy days.