996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

2 hours ago, peter-james-brown said:

That's a handbrake moment for me. I appreciate the insights. $20k + $52K isn't worth it. 

Yes - this is the sad conclusion that others have come to. When 996's & Box's were selling for much less it was a smaller $ gamble.

Check @slknv who was weighing up the possibility of wrecking his tidy 996 cab tip due to old-age wear issues cropping up.

I think a "newish", after the work being done, 996 for 70k is actually a pretty good deal.
The issue is that if you are looking at buying a 20 year old car, you need to expect there to be some level of work to be done. Buy a 20 year old Landcruiser, you will have the same issues. It is at that age that things like hoses, and all the rubber bits and pieces start fall apart.

You could choose to just keep on postponing that work, however I think that is just false economy. I bought a 996 to enjoy the driving. Running old tyres, worn suspension  and old mounts just means I won't enjoy the car as much.

Looking at alternatives...

• 50k - Toyota 86 (new) (just drive)
  • 85k - Lotus Elise (3 years old) (just drive)
  • 120k - Porsche 997 (10 - 15 years old also requiring investment) 10k + 
  • ??? - Porsche 991 / 992

I am sure there are other alternatives - but for me, the 75k and some that my now almost new 996 has cost, has left me in a better place than with the Lotus, and I have back seats and a better sound! (Once I do the Finster hack....)

3 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

I think a "newish", after the work being done, 996 for 70k is actually a pretty good deal.
The issue is that if you are looking at buying a 20 year old car, you need to expect there to be some level of work to be done. Buy a 20 year old Landcruiser, you will have the same issues. It is at that age that things like hoses, and all the rubber bits and pieces start fall apart.

You could choose to just keep on postponing that work, however I think that is just false economy. I bought a 996 to enjoy the driving. Running old tyres, worn suspension  and old mounts just means I won't enjoy the car as much.

Looking at alternatives...

• 50k - Toyota 86 (new) (just drive)
  • 85k - Lotus Elise (3 years old) (just drive)
  • 120k - Porsche 997 (10 - 15 years old also requiring investment) 10k + 
  • ??? - Porsche 991 / 992

I am sure there are other alternatives - but for me, the 75k and some that my now almost new 996 has cost, has left me in a better place than with the Lotus, and I have back seats and a better sound! (Once I do the Finster hack....)

Thanks for that POV. The owner had the engine out, so did a lot of other work just so he knew it would last him into his retirement. I don't know about the suspension and brakes etc. 

Would this be a smarter buy if I got it in the low $80's? -https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/A/2008-porsche-911-carrera-997-auto-my08/SSE-AD-7327921/?Cr=0

7 minutes ago, peter-james-brown said:

Thanks for that POV. The owner had the engine out, so did a lot of other work just so he knew it would last him into his retirement. I don't know about the suspension and brakes etc. 

Did you not get a PPI ?

13 minutes ago, peter-james-brown said:

Would this be a smarter buy if I got it in the low $80's? -https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/A/2008-porsche-911-carrera-997-auto-my08/SSE-AD-7327921/?Cr=0

remember that the 997s have IMS issues as well until I think the 997.2.  The issue is that they have a much harder to access (more expensive labour wise) IMS than the 996 series engines ( I'm happy to be corrected on this).

2 hours ago, tomo said:

Being a early 997 it would still need a Ims update.

The 997's had a much better bearing and have only a tiny chance of being an issue. The cars with biggest issue are the ones with the smaller single row bearing from mid 2000 to the end of 996. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over the bearing in a 997. Even the early 996' have been tarred with the same IMS brush and it is very rare to have a problem with them.

6 minutes ago, MFX said:

The 997's had a much better bearing and have only a tiny chance of being an issue. The cars with biggest issue are the ones with the smaller single row bearing from mid 2000 to the end of 996. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over the bearing in a 997. Even the early 996' have been tarred with the same IMS brush and it is very rare to have a problem with them.

Some early 997’s have the M96. An ‘04 would almost definitely have one. Upside is: you can replace them, unlike later 997 IMS bearings.

I was on the hunt for an early 97 for this very reason before I bought my 96. IMS doesn’t scare me, if you can apply one of the preventative measures…

23 minutes ago, MFX said:

What @ Sherpa said :)

You know IMS Bearings are not a big issue when Jake Raby suddenly pivots his whole focus over to “bore scoring” as the next bogey man.

TBF, scoring scares me a lot more than the IMS because there appears to be no preventative measures and the fix is huge. So it’s a good bogey man to build a business on IMO 👻 BUT, it’s more a 97 issue than a 96…

but fuck it, I’m going electric if this engine ever detonates. I’ll go chasing Teslas around the streets 😆

I digress - an early 997 with an M96 motor is the sweet spot IMHO. But the handful I found were all rough with spotty histories.

5 hours ago, peter-james-brown said:

That's a handbrake moment for me. I appreciate the insights. $20k + $52K isn't worth it. 

I think there is a bit of scaremongering happening here.

I have personally bought cars, both Porsche and others, much older than a 996 and haven't spent anywhere near $20k over a many years.

This includes a 1981 SC and a 1980 924 Turbo .. both obviously much more used than a 996.

Not saying stuff doesn't happen, but do yourself the favour of making an informed decision. Get it looked at.

And for what it's worth, I think that $52k for a convertible 996 is OK buying in this market.

And now the OP Peter is checking CS for Beemers etc, anything but shit bastard 996's! 

Hahahaha don't be put off Pete. I've had a 996.1 C2 and had a 987 3.4 and have two 986 3.2's and all with around 100 to 150klms. Purchased all with no PPI, and never had a mechanical problem with any of them except a water pump on 2 and an air oil separator on 1. (both standard repairs around 100 - 150 clicks).

With no easy or close by Porsche dude to check her over, just get it to your local guy and up on the hoist and get him to check everything. Dive in!!

3 hours ago, peter-james-brown said:

Still searching for a local company that will go to Gympie.

A good local mechanic should be able to diagnose most things that need fixing and give you a good idea of whats going on, If as you say the engine has been done . Good luck

1 hour ago, Sherpa said:

I’m going electric if this engine ever detonates

That's my plan too!  Great minds think alike. 😉

3 hours ago, MFX said:

very rare to have a problem with them

I agree IMS failure is rare, but the consequences of failure are dire.  It's not like e.g. the DISA valve on a BMW engine, that rattles early enough to give you are warning before the engine starts ingesting ABS plastic.

Just saying,  Before and while I owned  my 964 it was the biggest  pile of shit you could buy, They wrote a book devoted  to what an oil leaking pile of shit it was. I had my 964  for 16 years and drove the arse ofa it every time I got in it and it never missed a beat, But it was always well maintained, I have had my  6.2 for about a year now, And storytelling is about the same , So I am doing the same driving it hard and maintainy it well with regular oil and filter changes between your yearly check up at the Porsche shop.

1 hour ago, CapnHyaku said:

That's my plan too!  Great minds think alike. 😉

I agree IMS failure is rare, but the consequences of failure are dire.  It's not like e.g. the DISA valve on a BMW engine, that rattles early enough to give you are warning before the engine starts ingesting ABS plastic.

I have pulled the bearings out of both my 996 and my Boxster both with over 150k on the clock and both were still perfect. If you have a single row car, I would be keen to change it. Dual row, and there are a whole heap of things that are just as likely to lunch your engine as the IMS bearing (my 986 engine threw a rod and completely grenaded but the bearing was still perfect).

44 minutes ago, MFX said:

I have pulled the bearings out of both my 996 and my Boxster both with over 150k on the clock and both were still perfect.

... and you're not alone either.  It is rare and you're right, there's enough data now that shows the early dual row is the least risky of the M96/97's.

Maybe this is partly psychological though.  If the worry of it happening affects the enjoyment of the car or prevents you driving it... then you're better off getting it done IMHO.

49 minutes ago, MFX said:

my 986 engine threw a rod

Yeah, but that was after you took it out on the track... after the previous owner did who knows what to it... 🙂  Probably something to do with the door stops caused that mess! 😄

2 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

... and you're not alone either.  It is rare and you're right, there's enough data now that shows the early dual row is the least risky of the M96/97's.

Maybe this is partly psychological though.  If the worry of it happening affects the enjoyment of the car or prevents you driving it... then you're better off getting it done IMHO.

Yeah, but that was after you took it out on the track... after the previous owner did who knows what to it... 🙂  Probably something to do with the door stops caused that mess! 😄

It was the door stoppers

16 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

I don't know what you are talking about. It is obvious the previous owner loved and cared for it as his prized possession, only doing well thought out sympathetic modifications to enhance and overall improve the car :D