996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

4 hours ago, Dalai said:

And smell. I will never convert my 84 Carrera to EV and do everything to keep it running as Porsche intended. Even if that means buying expensive Biofuels and driving it on the track when legislated off the road. Not ripping it's heart out!

Biofuels?

Yes, I plan to build a still in my backyard when it gets to that point!

Sure, the distance I can travel on a full tank will fall to buggery but I suspect I'm like most people now where my car rarely travels further than the monthly Cars n' Coffee!  But can you imagine how much more spark advance I could run with high cylinder head temperatures and knock distant memories! 

I think diesel fuel will be with us a long while yet but I'm not sure a Mezger common rail injection conversion would be a step forward.

Nah, I like the still idea best, especially when you invite some mates around to help refuel!

8 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Wow, is that the net weight gain even after removing engine/gearbox weight and any wet weight? It does seem like a lot. I’d assume you’d end up with more torque though.

I was looking at possibly doing this to a 356, and AFTER removing the engine it would still end up at least 300kgs heavier. Batteries would end up taking over all of the luggage space and you would still be lucky if you could get 200kms of range. Granted it would be a crazy amount faster, but you can't really take it anywhere and you wouldn't be able to fast charge it, so it would be very limited.

Does seem like it is something that needs the “next generation” of battery tech (lighter, cheaper, etc) to be really workable beyond wanting to do it for the novelty…

I agree I’d miss the sound, the gear changes, the thrill of living life on the edge, wondering if your IMS bearing is about to lunch your engine that only the M96 can give you though … 😂 

On 19/08/2021 at 00:36, LeeM said:

Love the old saying "Well I'm in no hurry to sell..." yet drops the price by a few grand and still has it advertised 😅

I had a seller who, along with the no hurry to sell line, also said "Price firm. The price is X, find another in your desired spec". They then proceeded to drop the price by $11k when I was indicating I was interested just $5k under their original ask. I had bought another car by then so I wasn't fussed. People are funny.

6 minutes ago, peter-james-brown said:

Hi All - Keen to get your thoughts on this - First time buyer. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1998/sse-ad-7377791/

I like that one, a little on the high side for a Tip Cab, but IMS done which is a plus. Try to get it for under $50k and you should be happy

48 minutes ago, peter-james-brown said:

Great thanks - This is the pic of the new IMS with the positive oil feed. Just checking this is looking ok?

20210419_090954.jpg

20210421_105016.jpg

I’m no expert, but my understanding is: there should be a notch in the case for a braided line to feed the oil in. At least that’s how it is on mine.

Maybe this is a different method? I’m sure the brains trust on here will know.

E0483C06-FC4A-4200-BF4A-E79572F866E9.jpeg

Doesn't look like the oil fed IMS, but it has been changed, as the original cover is straight aluminium. 

Price sounds pretty high for a Tip Cab, but if you are happy with it that is all that matters. 

14 hours ago, Sherpa said:

I’m no expert, but my understanding is: there should be a notch in the case for a braided line to feed the oil in. At least that’s how it is on mine.

Maybe this is a different method? I’m sure the brains trust on here will know.

E0483C06-FC4A-4200-BF4A-E79572F866E9.jpeg

Just to close this off for anyone else looking - This is the newest way to thrust oil to the bearing. It's slotted drive key.image.thumb.png.4f1609d8e1539cb527aff0f6d544d719.png

$50-52k sounds OK.  IMS and hard top with carrier are good extras.  Looks clean, low mileage.  +1 on DHM for PPI, but he's quite busy so timing could be an issue.  

Buying without PPI shouldn't be a massive risk - there's plenty here who have bought without PPI and had no issues.  Buying the owner is the number 1 rule.  Ask lots of questions.  Inspect the books and receipt history.  Look where there's a stamp, but no receipt - was anything out of order?  When was IMS done - why?

$50-52k sounds OK.  IMS and hard top with carrier are good extras.  Looks clean, low mileage.  +1 on DHM for PPI, but he's quite busy so timing could be an issue.  

Buying without PPI shouldn't be a massive risk - there's plenty here who have bought without PPI and had no issues.  Buying the owner is the number 1 rule.  Ask lots of questions.  Inspect the books and receipt history.  Look where there's a stamp, but no receipt - was anything out of order?  When was IMS done - why?

Did they replace the IMS - if so, do they still have it / what was it like?

@peter-james-brown - even with cars that look great, they are now getting on 20 years old. Especially for cars that don't get driven much, things like suspension are pushed out just that little bit longer. I would budget with $20k on repairs over the next 12 months if you want to get the car back to great condition. Then there are additional costs on top of that if you find real issues...

8 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

@peter-james-brown - even with cars that look great, they are now getting on 20 years old. Especially for cars that don't get driven much, things like suspension are pushed out just that little bit longer. I would budget with $20k on repairs over the next 12 months if you want to get the car back to great condition. Then there are additional costs on top of that if you find real issues...

That's a handbrake moment for me. I appreciate the insights. $20k + $52K isn't worth it.