996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Hi everyone

My apologies in advance for the eye-rolling this post will cause among the many knowledgeable Porsche veterans here.

I had the good fortune to drive a 2010 911 for a few days and really fell in love with it. I've been behind the wheel of BMWs and Audis before but they never did much for me. I usually stick with Camrys.

So I went online and saw that Porsche's sticker price for a basic 911 is around $250K. They also offer a guaranteed future value programme by which they claim they'll buy the car back from you if you upgrade to a new model.

$250K for me is a big deal - two years' net wages. I see that the Cayman is far more affordable, particularly second-hand. I haven't seen a 911 second-hand for under $100K - the price of a new 718 Cayman.

Covid makes test-driving a Cayman difficult, but I'm led to understand that it's very similar to a 911 to amateurs like me.

I obviously have plenty of research to do before I start throwing money around. What do people here think about Porsche's guaranteed future value scheme? Are there particular Cayman years to avoid if I opt for a second-hand one? They seem to be scarce on carsales.com.au.

Thanks for any constructive input.

1 hour ago, johnpeen said:

Hi everyone

My apologies in advance for the eye-rolling this post will cause among the many knowledgeable Porsche veterans here.

I had the good fortune to drive a 2010 911 for a few days and really fell in love with it. I've been behind the wheel of BMWs and Audis before but they never did much for me. I usually stick with Camrys.

So I went online and saw that Porsche's sticker price for a basic 911 is around $250K. They also offer a guaranteed future value programme by which they claim they'll buy the car back from you if you upgrade to a new model.

$250K for me is a big deal - two years' net wages. I see that the Cayman is far more affordable, particularly second-hand. I haven't seen a 911 second-hand for under $100K - the price of a new 718 Cayman.

Covid makes test-driving a Cayman difficult, but I'm led to understand that it's very similar to a 911 to amateurs like me.

I obviously have plenty of research to do before I start throwing money around. What do people here think about Porsche's guaranteed future value scheme? Are there particular Cayman years to avoid if I opt for a second-hand one? They seem to be scarce on carsales.com.au.

Thanks for any constructive input.

Hey John. You’ve found yourself in the scruffy section of the Porsche forum. Our cars are all ‘98-‘04, we’re a long way past agreed value in here.

You might be better posting in the parent forum this thread is in. There’ll be 991 and 992 owners with more to offer on there. Make sure you tell them headlights don’t matter while you’re there 😅

My 2 cents: there are people who want a Porsche, and there’s people who want a 911. Good luck on your hunt!

7 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

Hey John. You’ve found yourself in the scruffy section of the Porsche forum. Our cars are all ‘98-‘04, we’re a long way past agreed value in here.

You might be better posting in the parent forum this thread is in. There’ll be 991 and 992 owners with more to offer on there. Make sure you tell them headlights don’t matter while you’re there 😅

My 2 cents: there are people who want a Porsche, and there’s people who want a 911. Good luck on your hunt!

Oops! My thanks and apologies. I'll repost elsewhere and be sure to avoid potential headlight wars.

Cheers

On 17/09/2021 at 21:56, CapnHyaku said:

Even more so since lockdown.  Almost ready to plait my beard.... and then get a longboat... and plunder the shores of England.

Could you please post regular YouTube videos of your adventures so we can all live vicariously through you? .. thanks.

On 17/09/2021 at 21:56, CapnHyaku said:

Even more so since lockdown.  Almost ready to plait my beard.... and then get a longboat... and plunder the shores of England.

I haven't had a hair or beard trim since I picked up my car (and it was pretty wild then).  I might try and get a tidy up this week :D

IMG_9546-preview.jpeg

So I know it has been discussed, what is a number that would make sense for this? It looks quite untidy, no mention of books, UK car with body damage, guttered wheels all round... I have seen a few decent cabs move when advertised circa mid $40's ... 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/SSE-AD-7360419/?Cr=0

Judging by some of the comments the seats are worth 30k the car 3.

I would say not enough pics to take a decent stab at this one but if pushed I’d say it’s not far off the money assuming the damage is minor and the rest of the car checks out.  

23 minutes ago, edgy said:

😂

Agree... my thoughts $25-30k is far value on the little info there is...

I think it's an ideal dismantler... Engine would probably get $12k, gearbox $5k, seats probably $3k, interior another $3k, the rest of the car might total up to $40k.  I dibs seats :D

10 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I think it's an ideal dismantler... Engine would probably get $12k, gearbox $5k, seats probably $3k, interior another $3k, the rest of the car might total up to $40k.  I dibs seats :D

I was thinking I could go full Hank Moody on it for the right price... good to know I could get a $3k rebate for the seats!! What's a headlamp worth? 

porsche.thumb.jpg.3c9261214b8ba9ad185ac9513e196fc1.jpg

17 minutes ago, tomo said:

Great looking Porsche. The C4S in a Cab accentuates those voluptuous hips. 

I think its priced about right for a Tip, Cab, with over 100kms,  Although, I recall this car having been on the carsales merry-go-round for some reason..?  Can't recall the background. 

25 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Great looking Porsche. The C4S in a Cab accentuates those voluptuous hips. 

I think its priced about right for a Tip, Cab, with over 100kms,  Although, I recall this car having been on the carsales merry-go-round for some reason..?  Can't recall the background. 

Car is located here in Port Macquarie.  It is ex V8 race driver Andrew Medeike's personal car (now the main car dealer in town).  I took a look at it last year when it popped up and flagged it had a bung roof and no IMS attention - it has since had both corrected, so I think it's a pretty good buy.  It has had front and rear bumpers refinished - but I believe just for the cosmetics.