996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

On 12/09/2021 at 20:57, Mttel said:

A cab with a wing just looks weird to me.

I don't follow cab values but even as an import, tip, I can't imagine you could get into a 911 much cheaper?

On 12/09/2021 at 20:57, Mttel said:

I am new to the world of Porsches. What is wrong with an import? Also what do you guys think would be fair price for a car like this?

I would be tempted to get started with a cheaper 911, buy some times cheap stuff turns out to be more expensive.

57 minutes ago, swifteagle said:

I am new to the world of Porsches. What is wrong with an import? 

Nothing necessarily, but most are from the UK so they could have rust issues. Even if the car is perfect, it is tarred with that brush and will be seen as inferior. In Aus an import will generally be harder to sell because of this and as a general rule will be worth around 20% less than an Aussie equivalent. 

I personally think the import stigma is stupid, and you should buy a car (particularly a 20+ year old one) on condition, not on a piece of paper, but that is not the wider consensus. 

32 minutes ago, MFX said:

Nothing necessarily, but most are from the UK so they could have rust issues. Even if the car is perfect, it is tarred with that brush and will be seen as inferior. In Aus an import will generally be harder to sell because of this and as a general rule will be worth around 20% less than an Aussie equivalent. 

I personally think the import stigma is stupid, and you should buy a car (particularly a 20+ year old one) on condition, not on a piece of paper, but that is not the wider consensus. 

I’m with you on the import thing. As long as the car checks out I’m happy to save the 20%! But the rust thing scares me. Just watch a few episodes of Wheeler Dealers and you soon see how much UK cars rust…

The $35k cab is a car that will only ever be a $35k car at most. Tip, cab, UK, no mention of IMS, some body damage, interior could do with a refresh. You could spend $15k on it. So at $50k it’s not worth it, hence my earlier statement that it’s $10k overpriced (in my opinion of course)

17 hours ago, JLD said:

The $35k cab is a car that will only ever be a $35k car at most. Tip, cab, UK, no mention of IMS, some body damage, interior could do with a refresh. You could spend $15k on it. So at $50k it’s not worth it, hence my earlier statement that it’s $10k overpriced (in my opinion of course)

There's probably more money in breaking it, some have to be sacrificed for the others to live on :D

3 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Probably about right given IMS and engine job.  Flog off the hideous black wheels and use the money to refurb the originals and it'd be job done!!

10 hours ago, JLD said:

That would be my pick but I always worry that there is something lurking when I see discrepancies - CS ad says 129km and odometer says 115km :Confused02:

35 minutes ago, bignoisebang said:

How much do you reckon a great condition set of Litronic Headlights are worth $1200?

I think that would about right.  From memory I sold a LH 6.2 one with a chip out of the inner corner for $450 I think it was, so $1200 for a set in good condition would be fair.  I think a single brand new is something like $2250???  (or at least that is what was on the repair quote after I had a little bingle....)

My RH one was replaced after a minor bingle with a roo.  Previous owner said the insurance paperwork showed the light unit (bi-xenon facelift type) as being $4500 in 2018.  No doubt that was top dollar for the insurance job, but $1200 a pair is probably pretty cheap!  I've had them out for cleaning and noted that the ignitor is 2018 date coded as well, so that price included all the xenon gubbins.