Datsun 1600 Appreciation Thread

5 hours ago, DJM said:

A genuine SSS?  has the right dash, steering wheel and SUs but I’m not sure what else makes a SSS

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1972-datsun-1600-manual/SSE-AD-12152236

I don't want to bag this car out, I don't know the car. I just want to point out some inconsistencies for anyone considering this car.

Plenty of bog in that one. Check out the body lines around the rear bumper on the side of both quarter panels. Can't see the panel join on the dogleg to sill rails on both sides of the car. 

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Happy to also point out that the price is ridiculous 😅

10 grand tops, and even that's a stretch 

Unfortunately those days are long past Lee!  Rusty rolling shells looking closer to a block of Swiss cheese than cars are from $6K these days. Complete but still needing some fettling cars are from $20K up!

Reasonable priced recent listing at $18K but still needing a lot of work.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1972-datsun-1600-manual/SSE-AD-12140188?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-12140188

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Unfortunately those days are long past Lee!  

Yeah it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment mate.

Saying that, I most certainly don't understand why the hell these old heaps of shit have shot up in price, as they're no better than they were when they were 5 grand for a half decent one. Porsches don't escape that either. Saw online a converted 71 Targa at Richmonds yesterday for $330k 😲

Old cars are cool for sure, but 40 grand for an imported Datto 1600 is just stupidity in my opinion

Prices have been crazy for some time

The last one I bought (of 5 I’ve had) cost me $4k in 2009 complete with old school SU fed, methanol injected, T04 turbo charged L18 good for 260hp.  It was a hoot, clean rust free shell.  Later converted to 13B Bridgeport, caged, raced, crashed and bashed and sold for $9k.  Shoulda kept it…….

a mate has a rusty shitter in his front yard, he bought it back in 1990.  His kids keep telling him it’s worth 10K, now 12k, now 15k……..it really is crazy and I wonder if cars actually sell or just get advertised for a while then quietly withdrawn.

Preaching to the converted Lee. Prices across the board for all cars are crazy!

Basically gave my Dato away in the late 90's for $500. I wanted to keep it but at the time didn't have the space and especially money to restore the body which needed attention. I would have tried harder to find somewhere to store it if I'd known what they would sell for now!

Just bought my latest a couple of months ago which I posted a few photos earlier for much more than I wanted to, but that's the reality if you want a seat at the table. Must say nostalgia really played a big part as did the heart and expect would be the same for anyone wanting one. Still happy I bought it, but had forgotten how tinny it is compared to the 911!

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

I would have tried harder to find somewhere to store it if I'd known what they would sell for now!

That statement would ring true for many of us Martin, if only.

Good on you for scratching the itch, I'm sure you'll look back in future and say.....glad I bought that car, just like your 3.2 

• 1 month later...

haha and so the worm turns.   Tony on my right, a good mate, with bona fides of being an old Vic formula vee champ, step dad of Tim Blanchard Racing  (COOLDRIVE MUSTANG Tim Slade )who purchased my old two door Datto 16 sports sedan many moons ago, has just picked this one up.   It was in pieces body work wise and he paid 10K for it just recently.   He popped around during the week and I took it for a drive.  1968 model.  Running the SSS type carbs.  Underneath suspension etc all done, engine work/running gear and body work next on list.   But how good was it to reminise in it.   The door to door 4 speed gearchange and the interior smell of a 16....aaahhh the memories.....I was back home again.....   f#&k him...now I want another one.....haha a couple of old farts mucking around with a Datto 1600, doesn't get any better than that...

IMG_0636.thumb.jpg.8ca477cc2bc3963adec1090f10d295ca.jpg     

9 hours ago, Niko said:

haha and so the worm turns.   Tony on my right, a good mate, with bona fides of being an old Vic formula vee champ, step dad of Tim Blanchard Racing  (COOLDRIVE MUSTANG Tim Slade )who purchased my old two door Datto 16 sports sedan many moons ago, has just picked this one up.   It was in pieces body work wise and he paid 10K for it just recently.   He popped around during the week and I took it for a drive.  1968 model.  Running the SSS type carbs.  Underneath suspension etc all done, engine work/running gear and body work next on list.   But how good was it to reminise in it.   The door to door 4 speed gearchange and the interior smell of a 16....aaahhh the memories.....I was back home again.....   f#&k him...now I want another one.....haha a couple of old farts mucking around with a Datto 1600, doesn't get any better than that...

IMG_0636.thumb.jpg.8ca477cc2bc3963adec1090f10d295ca.jpg     

Haha awesome.  I had one of those 4 speeds at one stage, you had to lean over the passenger seat to find first gear 😂

17 hours ago, DJM said:

Haha awesome.  I had one of those 4 speeds at one stage, you had to lean over the passenger seat to find first gear 😂

Haha, well nothings changed in 54 years.   These cars are full of character and soul. 😎

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Cracker shots Niko 👍

Is it the George Fury car? 

Thanks mate, I am not sure if it is the ex George Fury, certainly looks the goods.  it is listed as 3800cc and it was running in the 5 litre touring cars group.   Now owned by McDonald Automotive in Victoria according to the Programme.    I have found this but not sure how old it is.  

.   1938684613_ScreenShot2022-03-16at9_12_42am.thumb.png.b74e8fc491c97ead4f50d21cce8a0d90.png