Datsun 1600 Appreciation Thread

On 05/04/2020 at 19:28, DJM said:

In these days of isolation, I want another 1600 to tinker with.  Is $15k where it’s at for a good starting point?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1969-Datsun-1600-Manual/SSE-AD-5948964

About standard these days for a running 1600. 

This car was for sale last year on Gumtree for around $15K down in Geelong. The current sale on Carsales and in Queensland started closer to $20K and has been slowly dropping...

5 hours ago, Uncle said:

Add some Carbon and 72.5 Grill.

Nikko don't look at the last photo. For everyone else is a 51mm P.P. 

Datto1.jpg

Datto2.jpg

Datto3.jpg

Datto4.jpg

Looks like a rotor?

11 hours ago, Niko said:

I thought it was a good price, went through the photos and there it was.....or rather there it wasn't.....No L16  I'd even accept a L18 or L20.

Not a fan of those engine transplants....Sorry for that.     But that's why they're called 1600's. 

Modify them, but keep the L engines.   Old skool opinion...Sorry. 

The Z18 is likely a bolt in swap so easy enough to revert to L series.

or to really upset you how about 240hp/9300 rpm of Honda F20C goodness 😂

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/03/vtec-just-kicked-datsun-yo/

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

One of Leno's shows. 

THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT........Stick your hi folutting donks. this is the way to go...

Still don't like that spoiler even on this one.    I think the one available in Australia was a SADLIER?

however......I was a bit put off how LENO was putting his hands all over the duco, and with his metal watch as he was resting his arm on the roof.   Thought he would have more nouse than that.  If I was Greg the owner I would have been a bit pissed...

But what a great car....The 57 Chevy's of the future..great prediction/quote412949030_NEWELEPHANTSTAMP.png.140fa98b31d89c07d0b9539b5ac561c7.png

14 hours ago, DJM said:

Looks like a rotor?

The Z18 is likely a bolt in swap so easy enough to revert to L series.

or to really upset you how about 240hp/9300 rpm of Honda F20C goodness 😂

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/03/vtec-just-kicked-datsun-yo/

Yep Mazda Facroty Race 12a P.P housings and build by SimplyMaz before Shannon lost the plot. 

On 07/04/2020 at 11:24, firstone said:

Any video audio of it?

Love a pp rotory. Any rotory for that matter.

Here’s mine, 13B Bridgeport which replaced the turbo L series hand grenade.  Less power (210 vs 265) but was lighter, quicker lap times but........about half the torque meant nowhere near as much fun.  Should’ve turbo’d the rotary.

I’d get Les Collins ex Datrally to built a grunter L series engine but I’d have ITBs for reliability over Webers in 2020.

http://lescollinsracing.com/engine

To redeem my sins, here’s a video for @Niko factory twin cam LZ20B engine from 1976.  Sweeeet.

https://youtu.be/tQXOIHuSTQc

Or the modern equivalent L18 with KA head, 282hp at 9000 rpm.....

That LZ20B is a rare beast!

The L18 i had built was the less common W block which was said to be a beefier block out of a Nissan truck. Lumpy cam and Webber made for a lovely note even though compared to modern cars was underpowered. Probably for the best as I got into enough trouble as it was being my first car! 

28 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

I had my first car crash in a Datsun 1600

Me too.  Had my licence for a week and went to Bonnie Doon with mates (how’s the serenity).  On a wet non water skiing day I went rally driving.  Ended up off the road sideways, rolled it (double barrel roll in the air and landed on the wheels).  When I got home, I told my dad I swerved to miss a dog.  He dropped the newspaper, glared at me over his glasses and in a thick Scottish accent said “ach, there’s no dogs in the bush”

lesson learned, if you’re a fuckwit and crash your car, own it.

27DFA002-BF0D-4983-93F1-9D2194694E30.jpeg

2 minutes ago, DJM said:

Me too.  Had my licence for a week and went to Bonnie Doon with mates (how’s the serenity).  On a wet non water skiing day I went rally driving.  Ended up off the road sideways, rolled it (double barrel roll in the air and landed on the wheels).  When I got home, I told my dad I swerved to miss a dog.  He dropped the newspaper, flared at me over his glasses and in a thick Scottish accent said “ach, there’s no dogs in the bush”

lesson learned, if you’re a fuckwit and crash your car, own it.

Same but different. My best friend at the time had a Datsun 1600 and on the first night of him having a license we went out in it .

It was pissing down with rain and went through a big puddle on the side of the road first attempt went well .

Second attempt real bad we hit a stobie pole ( big concrete pole holding up electricity wires ) 

car was destroyed.

13 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I had my first car crash in a Datsun 1600

First crash for me too, late, 1971.....prick who hit me had no Insurance and for some reason that I can't remember now, it sat in the workshop waiting for repairs to be approved for about 6 months...It nearly killed me.    

There we were coming home from a day down the beach, all singing along with Don McLean and American Pie.....AND.   CRASH

Every time I hear American Pie, it brings back memories.......Sad memories...

How about the $2.00 entry fee into Phillip Island car racing....

IMG_6321.thumb.jpeg.a2bdad3ae2b3573e3c6d4447126f5205.jpegP