996-7 Turbo Market Watch

25 minutes ago, Mondo74 said:

That yellow 996 turbo is sold!! Did you buy it @JWM?

Nope, I did enquire but it already had a deposit on it and will almost certainly be on its way to Sydney soon … Surely that means @sleazius bought it? 😁

Healy Factory called me back this afternoon to confirm it did sell. Good of them to do that … although I got excited when I saw the number, thinking they were calling to tell me it fell through and I could have ti… 😂

Good buy, congrats to whoever bought it! You need to replace the front splitter and skirts to return them from colour coded to black and it’s sorted. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2024 at 21:10, JWM said:

Healy Factory called me back this afternoon to confirm it did sell. Good of them to do that … although I got excited when I saw the number, thinking they were calling to tell me it fell through and I could have ti… 😂

Good buy, congrats to whoever bought it! You need to replace the front splitter and skirts to return them from colour coded to black and it’s sorted. 😁

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my02/OAG-AD-23165948

Bastard. 

i got to say its rather interesting times in the 996 Turbo market .. at last count 11 vehicles are listed on CS which have been sitting for some time with a further 8 vehicles placed ‘On Hold’ sitting in the background which were previously listed but did not sell and I guess sellers waiting to make a market re entry at some point.

Is this a case of buyers saying NO to the 996 Turbo vehicle or a case of unrealistic market prices creating a stand off between buyers and sellers ? 

😁🍿🍿

44 minutes ago, VGTS20 said:

i got to say its rather interesting times in the 996 Turbo market .. at last count 11 vehicles are listed on CS which have been sitting for some time with a further 8 vehicles placed ‘On Hold’ sitting in the background which were previously listed but did not sell and I guess sellers waiting to make a market re entry at some point.

Is this a case of buyers saying NO to the 996 Turbo vehicle or a case of unrealistic market prices creating a stand off between buyers and sellers ? 

😁🍿🍿

It appears that there is a stand off between buyers and sellers right across the board for most models.

2 hours ago, VGTS20 said:

I would say demand has dropped due to rate rises and inflation, simple economic factors.  For a large chunk of buyers it will be hard to justify buying an expensive shiny toy at the moment.  I think this means prices will just hover now until the demand increases in the case of the Turbo.

The ones we could see price drops on are the 991/2 models still on a depreciation curve and maybe the usual suspects that were on the nose for some snobs.  Let it be known I think all P-cars are beautiful.  Except the 914 that has a face only a mother could love. 😄

A mate of mine locally is now just put his 996 Turbo on the market. Interesting to see where the values currently lie for these cars. Particularly now there are a bunch of early cars coming in from the UK cheap.

7 hours ago, VGTS20 said:

a further 8 vehicles placed ‘On Hold’ sitting in the background which were previously listed but did not sell and I guess sellers waiting to make a market re entry at some point.

When an advert is placed "on hold" it does not necessarliy mean the ad has been paused.  Carsales seller system is flawed.  When you sell your car, it gives the seller the choice to mark the ad "On hold" or "No longer available". So, many sellers mark it "on hold" when they recieve a deposit, but then never update it as Sold later. 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

A mate of mine locally is now just put his 996 Turbo on the market. Interesting to see where the values currently lie for these cars. Particularly now there are a bunch of early cars coming in from the UK cheap.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Interesting.  I cannot recall coming across many oz delivered turbos   with a 1999 build date.  Is that a UK thing.   I reckon oz delivered  manual with all  p stamped parts and low km's and kept tidy will hold value.  Having seen some you tube videos on UK examples and lack of preventative maintence with the harsher weather and cheating  out on non porsche stamped  parts, buyer beware me thinks on future imports that are brought in to scratch an itch and then  flipped with very little maintenance done with high mileage put on the odometer.  Unless your wrenching yourself, tyres, brakes, suspension and other rubber and plastic bits and dry ice cleaning  starts to add up whether your forking out gbp or aud to get to a very tidy example.  Not all 996 turbo's are alike. Maybe cheap for good reason. 

If I was buying a uk import with a view to scratching an itch, I would buy a heavily modded with a view to driving it and racking up miles with a view to drop some coin on selling. . If I'm in for the longer haul with a view to not dropping too much off your purchase price and not doing to do a lot of k's on it, I'm keeping a well sorted low km ( not low mileage) AUD delivered example.

I'm looking at another mark and  guided by one of world's best  wrenches /indy  workshops for that mark in the UK.  His motto is always pay the higher price initially for  the better conditioned car if you can.  Brakes, suspension, interior bits,  carbon fibre and known model parts that will fail if not already addressed catches up with you and the added the costs to sort those items out piecemeal  to the initial cheap purchase price ends up costing you  just as much as the well sorted at the end of the day ( if you don't wrench yourself)  and you probably still have an inferior car  like for like with regards to shininess particularly interior wise. I think that holds true for 996's  turbo as well.  Not seeing a lot of mezgers engines  up for grabs that are cheap.  Didn't someone post recently they got burnt buying a cheapy and known gremlins on the 996 turbo becoming apparent on their watch.

3 hours ago, mrar said:

Dreamer vs Dreamer = no sale.

Seeing it differently. When it comes to some of the higher end priced manual 996  turbo's, purely the buyers are dreaming and the reason for no sale.

9 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Interesting.  I cannot recall coming across many oz delivered turbos   with a 1999 build date.  Is that a UK thing.   I reckon oz delivered  manual with all  p stamped parts and low km's and kept tidy will hold value.  Having seen some you tube videos on UK examples and lack of preventative maintence with the harsher weather and cheating  out on non porsche stamped  parts, buyer beware me thinks on future imports that are brought in to scratch an itch and then  flipped with very little maintenance done with high mileage put on the odometer.  Unless your wrenching yourself, tyres, brakes, suspension and other rubber and plastic bits and dry ice cleaning  starts to add up whether your forking out gbp or aud to get to a very tidy example.  Not all 996 turbo's are alike. Maybe cheap for good reason. 

The UK cars that can be imported (not including Private Import) are early cars made before Turbos were available in Aus. 

I am definitely not saying the UK cars are the same, but it still waters down the market, just like it did with the R32 GTR back when the Japanese ones first started getting imported.

9 hours ago, smit2100 said:

If I was buying a uk import with a view to scratching an itch, I would buy a heavily modded with a view to driving it and racking up miles with a view to drop some coin on selling. . If I'm in for the longer haul with a view to not dropping too much off your purchase price and not doing to do a lot of k's on it, I'm keeping a well sorted low km ( not low mileage) AUD delivered example.

I never understand why people buy cars and not drive them just to save it for the next guy... 

On 27/04/2024 at 05:33, MFX said:

The UK cars that can be imported (not including Private Import) are early cars made before Turbos were available in Aus. 

I am definitely not saying the UK cars are the same, but it still waters down the market, just like it did with the R32 GTR back when the Japanese ones first started getting imported.

I never understand why people buy cars and not drive them just to save it for the next guy... 

I plan on keeping mine for a while and happy to polish it and take it for a spin around the block now and then for a boost fix. How goods a third gear pull at WOT rowing your own gears and seeing  a 1 on the boost gauge on a 996 turbo that is well sorted.  I would guess theres not a lot of  oz delivered  996 turbo's with 3 pedals that see the factory  boost gauge  >=1.   Probably only one or 2  on car sales at the moment. 

Heres a back of a postage stamp calc in today's dollars for pontification on future price hits. 

Similar conditioned uk car with same kilometers as mine.  But I reckon I would pull a couple of cars on it in a third gear pull as I doubt it's ever recorded   a 1 on the boost guage.  Asking is   gbp 48k. Say aud 100k/ USD 65K. I ran an import model cost  calculator that for a 65k usd circa 8k for shipping  and 34k for everything else with taxes etc etc ( assuming you declare value properly ?) Thats  circa 142k landed. Add 15 to 20% for wrong VIN digit or 2. Thats circa Aud 160k to  170k.  That's what I would ask if selling,  but to by  WOT as a replacement.  Take the 15 to 20% off . Ok a bit of hit assuming nothing to spend on the imported example.

Ps some lower ended  manual turbo's that look tired  based on pics and higher k's  are circa mid to high gbp 30's.  So say  low 100 ish landed.   How much to get them sorted on top of that. Are you that far off low end oz delivered.   So perhaps aud delivered  with a 1 in front of the odometer is probably where your going to see the bigger impact.

Ps I remember having some fun  with a r 32 gtr  in a tweaked twin turbo audi   one night and my mechanic calling me a few days later  and saying I understood you were cruising early hours  with my mates imported aud 17. 5k r32 gtr  with his Mrs behind the wheel.   So much bang for buck back in the day.

On 26/04/2024 at 22:10, smit2100 said:

I'm looking at another mark and  guided by one of world's best  wrenches /indy  workshops for that mark in the UK.  His motto is always pay the higher price initially for  the better conditioned car if you can.  Brakes, suspension, interior bits,  carbon fibre and known model parts that will fail if not already addressed catches up with you and the added the costs to sort those items out piecemeal  to the initial cheap purchase price ends up costing you  just as much as the well sorted at the end of the day ( if you don't wrench yourself)  and you probably still have an inferior car  like for like with regards to shininess particularly interior wise. I think that holds true for 996's  turbo as well.  Not seeing a lot of mezgers engines  up for grabs that are cheap.  Didn't someone post recently they got burnt buying a cheapy and known gremlins on the 996 turbo becoming apparent on their watch.

Yup. That was me. Got a bit complacent over the years and well and truly got bit. 

On 28/04/2024 at 14:50, C_S_Lewis said:

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

The only realistic sellers in the Porsche market on Carsales, outside of a few good cars that sold in days or weeks, seem to be Taycan owners, who can’t cut their prices fast enough before the new model arrives … 😅

26 minutes ago, JWM said:

Yeah, would be a great daily. And maybe not far away … e.g.  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2021-porsche-taycan-y1a-auto-rwd-my22/SSE-AD-12322893

EV Macan is available soon, and will probably keep bringing them down (along with the drops in pricing from tesla etc). The first reviews now up on youtube. 

https://youtu.be/aG6EZr6uP00?si=BQ-kLDCD7FCUlYjp

https://youtu.be/OsosTl4Gwx4?si=mwIz8j9RdUL2Pg02

To me the taycan is one of the best looking cars on the road but I'd have to think the macan suv form factor will continue to be much more popular. 

• 2 months later...

Curious on the consensus on this… assuming a good driver condition car, what’s the thoughts on a high mile (170k kms) import (UK car) 996 Turbo (Tiptronic) ?? 

Be harsh, really trying to work out what the bottom of the barrel is!