To spoil or not to spoil?

Merv

The '88 Carrera that I have bought comes without a rear spoiler. It does have a front spoiler, however.  While I have never been a real fan of the rear deck spoiler, except on Turbos, the options seems to be to remove the front lip spoiler, or add a rear deck spoiler, or leave it as is? 

I could live with a rear deck but don't see them around for sale for that model.  Alternatively, I like the clean lines of the cars without the rear spoiler.

I know having one on the front can generate more rear lift in the absence of rear spoiler. What to do?

windmill porka.jpg

Ahhh, so it was you who got that 3.2 in adelaide, good to see it landed with a PFAer.  How has the car been so far?

In regards to the spoiler, depends if you want to keep it original or not - Whats on the original build sheet?

Opinions are like butt holes .... everybody has one! ... so here's mine.

A "G" series 911 isn't a "G" series without a rear spoiler ... it's what makes the car look so classic 911 ... I do however see the draw towards the clean line look, it's just not for me.

You are correct though regarding the front spoiler ... I've read many reports about odd behaviour and noises when it's there without the rear one ...

Hahaha.... Looks like we've all been looking at the same cars. From memory, this one wasn't cheap.

Mine (84 model) is the same. It has the front spoiler but no rear spoiler. I prefer the clean rear end as it gives it a more classic/retro look. Don't mind the lower front spoiler on mine and will probably leave the car as is.

Rear End.PNG

Congrats on the purchase! Looks great!

If you do decide to get a whale tail try to get one that comes with the lid too and then keep the original lid currently on the car so any change is easily reversible. I have just done this (but going from a carrera tail to a clean lid) on my near identical looking SC. I will be keeping the additional tail/lid though so i can change the look up again in the future if i decide to...

In regards to the lift, i also have the same setup now and i can't say i notice any difference at 100, however I don't track my car so it could make a difference at higher speeds. 

23 minutes ago, bwright_11 said:

In regards to the lift, i also have the same setup now and i can't say i notice any difference at 100, however I don't track my car so it could make a difference at higher speeds. 

I track a car with same set-up and I can say I've ever felt any issues at high speed. 

Thanks everyone.  Very helpful as always.  I am not sure that I have a 'build sheet", but PCM (Harry et al.) gave me the C23 delivery info from its original sale in WA.  I didn't notice anything about a front spoiler on that.  Is there another way to check? The car has just arrived in Brisbane and I hope to collect it tomorrow.  There are many docs with it and the owners manual may have more details of original fitment items. Front spoiler (add or delete) isn't on the options list that I have from PCM.

This car is not going on the track at any stage so I might leave the (perhaps) original front spoiler on for the time being. I like the large rear spoiler, but the simple look evokes the original design to my eyes.

8 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Going by my vehicle details document from Harry at PCM,

Perhaps this link can assist --> https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/

Thanks @P-Kay great link. Where is the options code sticker on your 1979? I can’t see one on my 1980 although it’s had a repaint. Is it in the log book?

awesome looking coupe @Merv I love a white car with no tail. Although if you do want one This ruf rear spoiler was just listed not sure if it’s legit or what you would want.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2392899784326079/

Just now, Tips said:

Where is the options code sticker on your 1979?

No appearance your worship. I sent an email request (with my chasis #) to Harry at PCM and he sent me the details of my car.

Delivery location, date, colour, options etc.

They won't tell you what the original engine # is, but if you supply a number to them, they can confirm whether the number matches their records. Go Figure?!!

10 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

No appearance your worship. I sent an email request (with my chasis #) to Harry at PCM and he sent me the details of my car.

Delivery location, date, colour, options etc.

They won't tell you what the original engine # is, but if you supply a number to them, they can confirm whether the number matches their records. Go Figure?!!

Thanks I will send the details off. I have the log book and engine matches the number in the book but always want to be sure. Good they can provide the option codes I’m keen to find out about as the PO’s have added items and like Merv’s comment it has front and rear spoiler etc I don’t know if they were factory, so good to confirm either way.

5 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Ahhh, so it was you who got that 3.2 in adelaide, good to see it landed with a PFAer.  How has the car been so far?

Having driven it on Merv's behalf, I can say it is probably the best air cooled I've driven yet. Very tidy and tight to drive, and remarkably quiet. Great car in my opinion 

4 hours ago, hugh said:

I track a car with same set-up and I can say I've ever felt any issues at high speed. 

Yeah, but you're mad! 😉

Both lovely cars & very envious of you both.

+1 on the removal of the tail, I felt no difference with the C3 but never drove it at 10/10ths.

In the UK I recall that 3.2 cars fitted with F&R spoilers were known as "Sport Package" & changed to "Sport Equipment" in 1987. Also (I just read this) included Bilstein Shocks plus 6" & 7" black centred 16" wheels.

If its the original engine lid I think there were holes that will now be filled where the tail fitted to the lid.

Well done Merv. Nice looking car.

There should be an option sticker with codes on it somewhere to tell you if front spoiler original.

Leave the tail off. At the speeds you'll drive on the road you wont notice the difference. Track might be different story.

@hugh You need to go faster mate and see how it feels when it gets loose in the rear. 😀

Whale no whale... I had a 89 3.2 way back in dem good olde days...and it had a tail. For me that’s the classic 80s look. The clean line, no tail is yes, nice n clean but for me, it looks more 70s.

being an 88, I’d go the whale if the budget allows and you have a fetish I mean passion for it - it’s a personal choice really!

i can’t comment on performance with front lip, leave that for the others but seeing you say ‘ no track’ then it’s not an issue really.

Yes Philbee I agree.  The iconic look of the late "G" series cars is the tail.  However my Porsche heritage is the 60s cars and the clean narrow look. So a challenge.  I did see the one on Gumtree with some interest.  Not sure yet.

I am also thinking that my options list does not show spoilers at all, so the front one that seems to be there may have been added at some stage.  Unless of course Australian cars had them (only) (I had noticed that the UK cars had the Sports Package with both)?  The car arrives tomorrow so I can investigate further.  My first thought was to remove the front spoiler if that was  not original.  It may have another use however around kerbs in car parks?

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8291.jpeg

Very simple really.  My car was delivered new without either spoiler, and for many years that is how it was.  Gradually I changed things and added the front spoiler and then eventually the Tea Tray.  In my opinion, there are 2 main aspects to your consideration. 

Firstly, how and where you'll drive.  If you are sane and on public roads in Oz there's no place that you can go hard enough that the spoilers are going to make any difference, without your being in danger of immediate arrest.  I added the front spoiler to help understeer on the track, then found that the back was loose and eventually added the whale tale.  The car was still loose, but that was 'cos I was going faster.  It really only made a big and noticeable difference on high speed corners like turn 1 at Eastern Creek, or the big sweepers at Phillip Island.

So the second consideration is that if you're not going hard on the race track, the question becomes "Which look do YOU like?"

I think if you’re used to the 60s look it’s time to 80’s it up for a change and TAIL

I don’t mind the front - no - back look - it’s unlikely anyone optioned a car with only a front.  Probably had both fitted at some time and a PO deletes the tail.