Yet another 3.0 Engine Rebuild

Mike D'Silva

Thought I'd post a few pics of an engine I am currently refreshing... not sure if many are interested in this stuff... ??

Pics will basically form a timeline.. Had a few delays waiting for parts but we are on the final stretch now. 

Engine ran well, but was leaking a fair amount of oil. We are replacing the stock 8.5:1 pistons for 9.8:1 and also upgrading camshafts with a custom grind sourced through William Knight in the USA, who has designed these and has them manufactured by Webcamshafts.com. It will be interesting to see how this motor performs, as the cam is "more" than a 964 or 20/21 that is commonly used, but the claim is that it will outperform them, even using the CIS. Time will tell.

Check out the before pics...!

47RhmvK.jpg

szLCxvV.jpg

E5tSMAb.jpg

WRzmolm.jpg

th3FILW.jpg

n8JYYcG.jpg

yummy!!

2gFh7Vs.jpg

vMzESlK.jpg?1

See how far the plunger in the chain tensioner is extended? 

1 minute ago, James P said:

Very interested keep the photos & info coming...

thanks for the interest!

Some interesting efforts to curb the rocker shafts from leaking... see the "home made rsr seals"????!!

VNMJiET.jpg

XC9yIoX.jpg

qibMFbi.jpg

1lQar7I.jpg

gDukyXw.jpg

YpbPgdI.jpg

vHi6pq4.jpg

CZnaykS.jpg

I1HyNS2.jpg

ZIeSqzD.jpg

MFKyPhM.jpg

LciydNE.jpg

Someone made this spacer for the chain tensioner upgrade.. I guess it worked... SV0oLQf.jpg

just a tad grimy in there...

5DzBfdF.jpg

iMIWWp5.jpg

VzF8TsI.jpg

2 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

How many broken Headstuds?

None.

It looked like a couple had been replaced though.. I'm guessing that a previous owner might have had some bandaid work done to replace a couple studs (only the broken ones). The top end had been off before, but I don't think the case had been apart before. They marked the cylinder positions incorrectly too.. 

19 minutes ago, drmurugti said:

did someone use silicone to plug leaks?

The silicone was used during assembly last time around. Is it wrong??

Well, it is not something I would do. 

14 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Thought I'd post a few pics of an engine I am currently refreshing... not sure if many are interested in this stuff... ??

I think you will find most PFA members are interested in what you are posting.  I've watched several of your original time lapse threads and enjoyed seeing how things come apart and go back together.  If I needed an engine rebuild and you were down our way I'd be dropping in for a coffee and a chat, keep up the good work and options for our local Porsche lovers!

On 09/09/2020 at 02:11, Coastr said:

What’s the engine type?  Big port or small port?  Interested to know how lively it is after higher compression and cams.

Cannot remember the engine type, but it is a big port

From this

iMIWWp5.jpg

TO this

UswBobT.jpg

IBFuUmn.jpg

S5wjxu1.jpg

New Headstuds installedwyY19Qh.jpg

Upgrade to 9.8:1 CIS pistons...

Cylinders recoated to suit.

DmIP8dw.jpg

KJwhCG5.jpg

XguqHlU.jpg

EAUvlya.jpgkwxTeeJ.jpg

FVZVlpB.jpg

Time to set cam timing!

bp516Cg.jpg

Bah.. I didn't take any photos of the cam timing process.. it's pretty boring and there are tonnes of cool videos on youtube showing how.

but, it is done.

ypbLeOs.jpg

Here is something interesting to examine... notice how far the chain tensioner is extended in this pre-disassembly photo... 

And then compare to how far it is extended in the bottom, new chain photo.

vMzESlK.jpg?1

efvygu5.jpg

So today I spent a long time double checking cam timing, valve clearances, then fitting valve covers etc..

And those bloody SSi's.. I hate them! What a pain to have to refit them (I now remember the joys of taking them off!!) At least now they are clean. If you scroll up, you can see the state they were in with so much crud baking on them. Hoping these will last a little longer this time around  ;)

n4WhCA4.jpg

6LFGkLl.jpg

5M3gHhD.jpg

So while this one is done, I feel this one has turned out really well. I have not driven one of these with a 964 cam or a 20/21 (both common go to options for a stockish motor) but with this custom camshaft, it really does feel good. Bottom end is possibly just a little softer, but from 3500 it really wants to keep going. Obviously, we have not done many kms yet so don't want to rev it too hard but initial impressions are VERY good. Would love to get it on a dyno when it has done some kms. 

This motor runs very very smooth. It is fitted with a set of SSi heat exchangers and a Dansk sport muffler.. exhaust note is very sweet.. not obnoxious. Definately has a deeper growl to it which I believe is due to the extra duration of the camshafts. Blipping the throttle has the tacho needle swinging VERY quickly :)

16 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

So while this one is done, I feel this one has turned out really well. I have not driven one of these with a 964 cam or a 20/21 (both common go to options for a stockish motor) but with this custom camshaft, it really does feel good. Bottom end is possibly just a little softer, but from 3500 it really wants to keep going. Obviously, we have not done many kms yet so don't want to rev it too hard but initial impressions are VERY good. Would love to get it on a dyno when it has done some kms. 

This motor runs very very smooth. It is fitted with a set of SSi heat exchangers and a Dansk sport muffler.. exhaust note is very sweet.. not obnoxious. Definately has a deeper growl to it which I believe is due to the extra duration of the camshafts. Blipping the throttle has the tacho needle swinging VERY quickly :)

Sounds like a great combo. Congrats.