1967 912/6 - time to bite the bullet SOLD

Price Adjustment

Hi everyone,

I’m putting my ‘67 Tangerine Dream on the market.  As it happens, the Krautrock band of the same name was also founded that year.  Fun fact.

So, what’s the car got that makes it possibly the rarest 912 I’ve seen for a while?

Well, for a car that I’m sure is factory stock, it’s got loads of features that only saw the light of day many years later.  Trust me here, I’m a lawyer ...

The following is not definitive but what I can remember:-

Body

Australian delivered 912.  Later rear quarters as it’s had the longer wheelbase upgrade.  GRP rear and front bar.  I have the metal bits for the rear.

Paint in good order but not perfect as you’d expect from a factory test mule.  Not a 20 footer but will have some Skunkwerks love before the new test pilot takes delivery.  Rust?  NFI but probably some somewhere.  It’s an old 912/911 ...

Has rare yellow fog lamps.  Off the Kombi they must have used back in the day to tow it around. The pics have it fitted with the roof rack. It’s a later Rennline version but apparently made in the same factory by the grandson of the original designer using tools salvaged from a Soviet era MiG factory.  Worth buying the car just for that.  

Engine

It has a 2.7 on genuine Weber’s with an MSD control unit.  Strong, smooth and well built. A little like it’s current owner only better.  OK, I’m not like that at all but the engine is a cracker. Not sure of the type of cams it runs but the engine delivers around 245 BHP according to my ArseDyno 2020.  OK, I have a sheet on file that I remember shows that.  Has headers and twin pea shooter exhaust. No heater.  But see below under “interior” for the solution.

Gearbox

Stock 915 from an 84 3.2.  Standard ratios. New clutch and pressure plate.

Brakes 

The brakes are 2.7 Carrera.  Calipers all recently rebuilt with new pads (Pagid).  It has has braided lines. Discs are ventilated. 

Cooling

Front oil cooler.  Looks like it’s from a 3.2.  Does the job.  Exposed oil lines. Naturally.  

Interior

GTS classic hounds tooth RS style front seats.  Heated.  Yes, heated.  And they work.  No rear seats but I have them if you want to talk to the Team Manager about the prospect of taking the kids for a skid on the weekends. Just say you’ll fit them.  It’s enough. Worked for me.

RS door cards.  Carpet in really good condition.  Momo Prototypo. 10000 rpm tacho.  Don’t try it kids.

Suspension

Koni’s all round, Turbo tie rod ends, 73 RS style raised stub axle.  Longer steel rear arms. Strut brace. Your choice of wheels and tyres.  The 7” all round Fuchs with near new tyres or some trick 944 spare wheel jobbies with Avon R rubber.

General

It would be a really weekender or could be a daily commuter.  It’s that nice.  The Koni’s are not valved  to “Teeth Rattling”.  All very R Gruppe. I’m pretty sure it was built as either a club car or Group S as it once had a cage and the mods fit that theory. It could double as a club car.  If the buyer wants, I have a set of really trick Supashock dampers that I had made for my old 2.7 Carrera Group S that I’d be happy to negotiate into the deal if you want to get serious on track.  I wouldn’t though as the car is far too nice as it stands.  

I have a fair bit of paperwork about the work that it has done over the years.  It made even me admire the dedication of various owners in the pursuit of The Spend.

So, why am I selling?  Well, it’s a car I really didn’t need but really wanted.  Was part of a deal with another car and I’ve enjoyed it now.  Fixed the things that bugged me,  fitted the seats, gave it the major service and drove it.  I’ve got another project that I’m going to put the cash towards.

My 14 year old will not be happy as he’s got his eye on it as his first car (as if) but it’s either that or the 73E that seems to be more important to the family than me so, it’s the 912.

What price The Dream?  Well, that’s the tricky bit but I’m looking for $99,500.00 OBO.  Yep, it’s not cheap but really, for a factory original development mule reputedly driven by Ferry to his first Tangerine Dream concert, the history alone makes it worth it.

Like I said, trust me ...

Pics.  Yes they’re crappy but I only had 3.3 mb left.  And no, I can’t work out how to put the the right away around.  Screen lock works for me ... I can send higher quality ones By email  if anyone wants.

4854EC5B-17AC-4249-B3FF-84A7FE2EEC65.jpeg

DD3118C4-CC43-480C-A4D8-D61DA305A458.jpeg

5BF80988-860A-435B-8EF2-103C0C0F2470.jpeg

91C731BD-CDC4-4B5A-9A7E-A22C89D449FA.jpeg

2E935E00-78A2-41BB-9F8A-C75265E76899.jpeg

9FCEDC6B-395F-4289-B95F-F3DFF7607FFD.jpeg

952FA57A-6499-40AB-AAFE-C6CDC1752C43.jpeg

2FAE87C7-EC47-4C71-B1BF-A73224A6713E.jpeg

9E667662-A81A-44EB-BB21-D3396497AE51.jpeg

6 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Like I said, trust me ...

Pics.  Yes they’re crappy but I only had 3.3 mb left.  And no, I can’t work out how to put the the right away around.  Screen lock works for me ... 

4854EC5B-17AC-4249-B3FF-84A7FE2EEC65.jpeg

DD3118C4-CC43-480C-A4D8-D61DA305A458.jpeg

5BF80988-860A-435B-8EF2-103C0C0F2470.jpeg

91C731BD-CDC4-4B5A-9A7E-A22C89D449FA.jpeg

2E935E00-78A2-41BB-9F8A-C75265E76899.jpeg

9FCEDC6B-395F-4289-B95F-F3DFF7607FFD.jpeg

952FA57A-6499-40AB-AAFE-C6CDC1752C43.jpeg

2FAE87C7-EC47-4C71-B1BF-A73224A6713E.jpeg

9E667662-A81A-44EB-BB21-D3396497AE51.jpeg

Nice sir ..

a question what potato do you prefer for your art  photography?

copy Is great almost on par with my Barry White inspired ad.

All these replies , if only I had money.. Money is cheap go get some..

Horny Hacked Hotrod awaits someone .. Don't ask your wife , just grab your testicles 

Ring the man make him an offer ..   I love it when these kinda cars come up , its the epitome of the romantic mind build that gets talked about here and on other forums. Its just you putting value on it . 

GLWS , but stop taking bits off it, leave it alone 

On 21/12/2020 at 11:16, symsy said:

Horny Hacked Hotrod awaits someone .. Don't ask your wife , just grab your testicles 

Ring the man make him an offer ..   I love it when these kinda cars come up , its the epitome of the romantic mind build that gets talked about here and on other forums. Its just you putting value on it . 

Good news Skidmarks you don’t need to sell the car just read this . 
Go get some money 

On 21/12/2020 at 11:46, symsy said:

If someone wants it as is, I’m good with that ...

I can attest that it is a super fun little car. Sounds like you have sorted the last few bits on it, as it had a 901 gearbox when Gav had it and the brakes were the only thing that really let it down at the time. The engine in it is very sweet.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I can attest that it is a super fun little car. Sounds like you have sorted the last few bits on it, as it had a 901 gearbox when Gav had it and the brakes were the only thing that really let it down at the time. The engine in it is very sweet.

Brakes 👌