Air to water. Pros and cons

LeeM

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

....I have a couple of small things to do on the car before I'd sell. Not to make any extra cash, but just for my peace of mind that I'd be selling a car that people would be happy with.....

There’s always something to fiddle with and IME next owner will have their own list 

just stop the handwringing and save the pained face for when you’re too hard into a corner in your new tippie , but realising  it’s not as perilous as the old air cooled .

just give it a wash and vacuum and put it on the market 

plenty of plus 30 degree days left in the year . Might as well get more seat time in your 996 

P.S ain’t no pros n cons - all upside 

5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Coastr said it 👍 ... Bluey as single men we don't have to justify anything, you want a 5th, get a 5th. Do what you want.

That's the reason I'm single and will never go back to "the darkside' :cool07: :Beer:  :Laughter: :Evil: :CoolDance:

halle - f*@king - lujah.........Take me with you ......please.

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

@PhilH You know only too well what I think of your car. It's the car that is always at the forefront of my mind when I think about a 996. "Handles pretty well"? Well theres an understatement if I've ever read one! 😁

@PhilH what about a little thread detailing your car & it's mods as inspiration for us newbie 996ers please.  I'd like to see what improvements I can make along the way.

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

I've taken my missus out in the SC once in nearly 5 years, so that kinda says what she thinks of it

With you there Lee. Mine has been in the SC once in 2 years but has been in the 996 5 times in 4 weeks 🙄. Take up Phil’s offer and take the mrs for lunch somewhere 

I've spent 3 or 4 grand on air conditioning - and it's not even anywhere near the car yet lol.  It's the one thing holding me back from driving more so that's where I'm putting the money.  It's a good investment I think most of the value you put into good AC come back in increased value.  I just hope it works well after all the effort that is coming up.

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

halle - f*@king - lujah.........Take me with you ......please.

@PhilH what about a little thread detailing your car & it's mods as inspiration for us newbie 996ers please.  I'd like to see what improvements I can make along the way.

It's the closest I can get to freedom Jason (and financial freedom:EvilSmile:) ....

Great easy mods that'll enhance/transform the car without breaking the bank - better brake fluid, Pagid pads, adjustable coilovers, 295 rears if your rims are wide enough, 10 mm spacers, a good exhaust, short shifter

5 hours ago, firstone said:

Slide left, it may be worth investing in the air-conditioning? No real down side for future value. I imagine it'd appeal to heaps of buyers.

Only fkn around putting it in would put me off. 

Having put a/c into an air cooled car I think it was a good investment.  It made the car far easier to live with, I never thought about not driving it due to heat.  

I've sold two water cooled cars (996c4s & 997S series 1) and three air cooled cars (993 tipper, 1977C3.0 & 1976 912 bastard) in the last 4 years.  I don't think about either of the water cooled cars....but do consider buying similar air cooled cars again (I only need/want 1 road Porsche for fun so probably a 993 to get the best of both).  My 2c....997 perfect for everything but not exciting until bum tightening moments.  996 a bit more raw but more squeaks & rattles.  993 still got that great sound & look but a little refined than other aircooled and is suited to long runs at the expense of 'a bit boring' for early morning punts.  G series fun & raw but sucks on a hot day.  Longhood more fun & more raw & equally sucks on a hotly.  Air cooled = more thrills at a lower speed (and to be honest...that's my attraction..in my local area lots of 50 - 100km/hr roads & the water-cooled stuff gets north of those speeds very quickly).  An all rounder for me is a 993 (more involving than a 997 or 996 imo).  

And a 2.7 boxster is more fun than a water cooled 911 up to about 130km/hr and for the price can be added to a backdate/bastard.  And it has perfect aircon.  And it has a roof down option.  And you can laugh at all the tools who tell you that a 911 is the only really Porsche.  @LeeM - add a boxster to your aircooled when the time is right & you can't go wrong.

Edit - gt3/2 & track cars excluded from above considerations.

5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

It's the closest I can get to freedom Jason (and financial freedom:EvilSmile:) ....

Great easy mods that'll enhance/transform the car without breaking the bank - better brake fluid, Pagid pads, adjustable coilovers, 295 rears if your rims are wide enough, 10 mm spacers, a good exhaust, short shifter

Just be advised wheel spacers unless factory model specific are not road legal in some states (eg VIC).

@Gavin (CliffToCoast) Yeah, I can't do a Boxster mate, and not for any other reasons than A. Not a convertible fan...at all. B. I'm too tall for one and feel cramped in them and Cayman's being over 6 foot. Never driven a Boxster, but have a couple of Caymans both manual and auto which are great cars, but again, they're too cramped for my liking

thought this was about intercoolers for a second..

i went from 996 GT3 to 964 turbo and 3.6L longhood etc

the GT3 did mostly the same job as both those cars combined, but those two cars excelled at what they did, so were better in their respective niche than the GT3.
so if you have a smaller garage for example the water cooled car makes more sense as an all rounder.
i have an R32 GTR as an all rounder now as well as the aircooled stuff.

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Gavin (CliffToCoast) Yeah, I can't do a Boxster mate, and not for any other reasons than A. Not a convertible fan...at all. B. I'm too tall for one and feel cramped in them and Cayman's being over 6 foot. Never driven a Boxster, but have a couple of Caymans both manual and auto which are great cars, but again, they're too cramped for my liking

I get you mate - I also find the Caymans a bit tight (not in a real sense but more of a 'feel').  For whatever reason, the boxsters don't give me the same feeling (roof down I guess) but they're definitely a convertible so if that's not your flavour then 911's it is!  

Our 996C4s had a few little mods (suspension, wheels & exhaust) and definitely felt a lot more alive than the stock 997.  Having now had a track 997 that's had a lot of modification (resulting in a lively car) I get the feeling that you can dial a lot of liveliness back in to the water-cooled cars...without losing aircon or modern engine management/fuel systems that make them easier to live with.  I guess we'll see more of this type of thing as time goes on rather than everything being stock.  From an everyday and budget perspective, it's easier to dial attitude back into a modern 911 than it is to make an air-cooled more comfy/soft.

21 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Gavin (CliffToCoast)

. It really is a familiar feeling going from my car to his, yet has the mod cons 👍

🙄😊time to lock the thread @LeeM and start a new one, where we all can contribute to the sale copy .. can I include an homage to Barry white ?