Air to water. Pros and cons

LeeM

I toyed with selling the SC and getting a 996C4S or a 997s manual. I decided it was time to experience some more cars. Deliberated for ages but couldn’t bring myself to do it as I still love the SC and Mrs was also concerned I would be unbearable. A very well priced 996.1 manual cab came up so fortunately I was able to pull the trigger and add it. 
As u expect just very different drives. The Sc gets out for twisty mountain runs and the 996 for daily and coffee cruise. 
One thing this has made me realise is I need to sell both of them later this year and get a turbo or GT3 and broaden the experience.
I know u have sat on the fence with this decision ur self Lee. I think life is to short not to add more P car experiences.

@LeeM, I'll paste my thoughts into this thread for context too...

The single biggest thing moving from an old A/C 911 to a newish wasser pumper (996) is the confidence of just getting in the car, turning the key, and driving away.  No pre-drive inspections, cajoling, caressing, or begging the car to play nice :D 

Air conditioning is a revelation!!!

With the old blue car (911 2.7 carbed hotrod), I do miss its 'presence', the overall character.  And that engine noise!  To a certain extent I also miss the involvement in keeping it performing at its best - tuning carbs, adjusting suspension and general tinkering.  But with kids, and "life" and all that other stuff, I just lost the luxury of time that I once had... 

In all honesty, I wouldn't go back now.  Hope that's helpful?

8 minutes ago, tomo said:

996 water pumper, Its still an old Porsche ,

Good point. One comment I heard a lot was a 996 is still has an analog feel. I agree, while more modern than the SC, it’s still a drivers car, cable throttle, heavyish clutch engaging shifter, it’s a different kind of fun. 

27 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Air conditioning is a revelation!!!

what he said 😃🙏

Have both, 911 SC, and 987.1 S & 997.1 C2S. SC tugs at heart strings every time I drive it or even look at it, and 997 is just a lot faster, more comfortable, but definitely lacks the raw sensory experience of air-cooled cars. My 987.1 S is my daily and while it is the cheapest, it is the most fun car. Its tiny, drives like a go-kart, and I throw it around corners and it defies all laws of physics. Love all 3, but if I had to sell, I would sell the C2S first, then Boxster & then SC.

I miss the admiration that came with the SC .. people would appreciate it for the classic machine that it is ... now I’m just another stuck up Porsche owner (to people that don’t realise that its almost 20 years old)

Loved my SC to bits .. washing it, driving it and turning around to check it out after I parked it.

Love the C4S .. washing it, driving it and turning around to check it out after I park it.

Air conditioning and a wide ass are a welcome bonus! ...

4 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

997 is just a lot faster, more comfortable, but definitely lacks the raw sensory experience

This is where the 996 steps in. 

I agree the 997 is a well rounded, almost complete car. Quite refined and a very fun drive. 

The 996 is a different experience. Many more characteristics closer to the aircooled cars for me.

@LeeM ... now I did offer  to do this for you only mere days ago 😅

personally not regretted selling my 71T that I had owned, tinkered extensively with, improved and made some enduring friendships through and  over about a 10 year period. it was fun .

I’m still having fun, just in a different car. 

25 minutes ago, michel said:

@LeeM ... now I did offer  to do this for you only mere days ago 😅

I did think of your comment the other day when posting this thread up 😁🙄

1 hour ago, Tips said:

Deliberated for ages but couldn’t bring myself to do it as I still love the SC and Mrs was also concerned I would be unbearable. 

I know u have sat on the fence with this decision ur self Lee. I think life is to short not to add more P car experiences.

Every time I bring it up with the missus, I get the very same response as yours offers. Usually with a roll of the eyes 😁  And yes, I'm stuck on that fence mate. 

1 hour ago, Tips said:

Good point. One comment I heard a lot was a 996 is still has an analog feel. 

Exactly how I've described an earlier 996. Having driven @PhilH amazing car back to back with my '78, they're not that different. Just a lot...better

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Spent some 9 hrs of driving over the weekend, Got home as good as I left just happier.

Driving my thing into the hills 5 mins from home is ok and the twisties are fun, yet I'm usually over it within 50km's. The drive home afterwards is mind numbing and I can't wait to get out of it...especially when it's a warm day

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Driving my thing into the hills 5 mins from home is ok and the twisties are fun, yet I'm usually over it within 50km's. The drive home afterwards is mind numbing and I can't wait to get out of it...especially when it's a warm day

Man, that's got to tell you something.  I sold my S2 because I just wasn't loving it anymore (for different reasons).  I need a car with Air Con & modern comforts, especially in Australia.  Different if your driving in the Alps & being all Apre Cool but summer here, sweatin' your nuts off - no thanks.....

I've driven the new car (gently till brakes are done) & it is a very smooth thing.  A/C handles the Qld heat easily.  Get one.

5 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Man, that's got to tell you something.  I sold my S2 because I just wasn't loving it anymore (for different reasons).  I need a car with Air Con & modern comforts, especially in Australia.  Different if your driving in the Alps & being all Apre Cool but summer here, sweatin' your nuts off - no thanks.....

I refuse to drive mine in anything nearing 30° (apart from the 9 hour drive to Hangar Banger 2 in 45° heat...that sucked!). Drove it last Saturday to a mates place 10km away. The drive home @ 27°C in traffic sucked. I even stopped at Supercheap to find a fan you plug into the ciggy lighter socket! Maybe I should fit a misting sprayer from Bunnings 😅 I shoulda taken the van

That awful feeling of guilt when you know you're going to break up with a girl... You still really, really like her; but the spark has gone and frankly you're a bit over her shit. 

You hope for an argument - or a 'trigger' to start one, just so you can get the momentum up.  You even stop caring that she's out late or hanging with some of your mates without you - deep down you even hope she dumps you to save you the angst.  Now some of your mates have recently dumped their girls and are seeing hotter, younger models... Damn it, if they can - why can't you? You're still young, there's still time, you still appreciate nice things.  You deserve to be happy. 

She's in bed.  You're on the internet.  You drift into webpages you know you shouldn't - ones with photos of all angles, some video too.  Colours that once would never have attracted you now tug at you mind.  You're in deep now - trawling online forums full of enablers with kinks like yours.  You ask questions, you're curious.  Anonymous strangers tell you what you want to hear - "Just Do it", and "It feels nice"...

Good luck my friend.

I'm not a fan of the heat either Lee. Hence if I take my car out during Summer it's early mornings which I prefer anyway as it's much quieter on the roads. I can't think of any other car brand apart from Porsche, where you just want to add another model if possible. I'm happy with my 84 Carrera, but would love to "also" be able to afford another more modern Porsche. As much as I'd like a 964, it's probably too similar. A 993 is still probably considered not modern enough, which means if I was able to it would be a C4S, or even a 997S. Given I'm not looking for a daily, I'd still stick with a Manual. Good Luck mate. If it gets you out driving more often, it can only be a good thing right?

@FishcopThat's a classic mate.

Sellers remorse is a bitch, but new car day will help you get over that.  As you probably know I've had my 996 for 4 or 5 years, my first P'car.  I recently got a 76 AC and I absolutely love it, but which do I love more..?  To tough a question to answer, as they both have significant traits that capture what I want.  The classic AC with all its long story and massive following, the feel, sound and smell and the simplicity of the ever so capable 996..?  I do drive the AC more at the moment, windows down in the QLD heat, just cant beat the grin factor but then I get into the 996, back to back and say to myself, damn, this is such a good car.  It just does everything I want, in absolute comfort, with a grin.

Variety is the spice of life - move forward get a 996.  Experience something different, you'll enjoy it regardless.

my 2c

Take out a loan and grab yourself the water cooled car - whichever model floats your boat

Only then will you be able to determine whether you 'have to have' both or whether the more modern is where your heart is at.

With this strategy, by selling the one you don't want, the loan will be removed and you will be back to square one without the anxiety of 'what if'

It's only a couple of months making payments........

As others have mentioned. Life is short and throws some interesting curve balls at times!! Live a little!

Good luck mate ;) 

Edited by P-Kay
Life is short

Enough enough .of this distracting banter save it for tinder   Lee knows what’ he’s done , just needs  to sit in the naughty boy corner nose  pressed awhile 

let’s focus on @Fishcop ‘s next chapter . Dude you got to serialise this

57 minutes ago, michel said:

Enough enough .of this distracting banter save it for tinder   Lee knows what’ he’s done , just needs  to sit in the naughty boy corner nose  pressed awhile 

let’s focus on @Fishcop ‘s next chapter . Dude you got to serialise this

Yep, I got to agree @Fishcop.  I needed to have a lie down after reading that little snippet........but I was left wanting (yearning really) for more...........