Rennsport Reunion

Hi all

If I was able to get the planets to align, what’s the appetite for a Rennsport Reunion (US style) 2022?

3 days - Friday - Sunday   

Phiilip Island as the track

... and other stuff for those who aren’t into flogging their rigs on track

Another lockdown inspired dream ... 

32 minutes ago, vin said:

Sounds awesome… how about doing it at Tailem Bend? On-site accomodation, catering and track… just a thought 😋

someone said dream big right? 😛

Also a great option.  

1 hour ago, James P said:

Im up for that 100% will bring along another 5 or so mates in various Porsches, also good chance i could get some very fine & very rare toys to come along 

Can I help you organise it?

That’d be terrific.  

1 hour ago, James P said:

Im up for that 100% will bring along another 5 or so mates in various Porsches, also good chance i could get some very fine & very rare toys to come along 

Can I help you organise it?

Ok, I'll drive one if I have to 🙄

30 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Also a great option.  

As many know, Tailem Bend is an awesome venue. Helped organise a trip over there with over 40 cars- mostly Porsches and we had a ball over 2 days plus half of us took the long way there through the Grampians. But it is sort of in the middle of no where so everyone gets stuck on site as opposed to PI where there are different places to hang out on the Island. It’s a bit six of one or half dozen of another…  one general comment that seemed to resonate was that the track was better but not so much better than PI that it justified the effort coming from Melbourne.  For an event like this, it’s probably a bit more about the cars and people than the track so PI probably better from a Melbourne based perspective. Winton if from a Melbourne AND Sydney perspective. I could probably reach out to some guys to represent some of the more recent editions if that is of interest. I’d be keen to come with my 991 👍

9 hours ago, vin said:

As many know, Tailem Bend is an awesome venue. Helped organise a trip over there with over 40 cars- mostly Porsches and we had a ball over 2 days plus half of us took the long way there through the Grampians. But it is sort of in the middle of no where so everyone gets stuck on site as opposed to PI where there are different places to hang out on the Island. It’s a bit six of one or half dozen of another…  one general comment that seemed to resonate was that the track was better but not so much better than PI that it justified the effort coming from Melbourne.  For an event like this, it’s probably a bit more about the cars and people than the track so PI probably better from a Melbourne based perspective. Winton if from a Melbourne AND Sydney perspective. I could probably reach out to some guys to represent some of the more recent editions if that is of interest. I’d be keen to come with my 991 👍

I imagine this would get a lot of interest on a National level, so that is how I would think of it rather than a Melbourne event. Particularly if it is over 3 days, so it really would be a destination event to stay nearby for the full experience. So in my opinion that is how the location should be selected. Either way, I will be travelling to where ever it is (although WA would be a really long trip ;) ) .

12 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Hi all

If I was able to get the planets to align, what’s the appetite for a Rennsport Reunion (US style) 2022?

3 days - Friday - Sunday   

Phiilip Island as the track

... and other stuff for those who aren’t into flogging their rigs on track

Another lockdown inspired dream ... 

I think it would be a winner with many !! Had a great time at both Rennsport events at Eastern Creek on & off the track !

Morning all.

I’ve just submitted a form to both PI and the Bend looking for a 3 day slot in January 2022 in the following terms:-

I am looking to put on a 3 day event in the nature of a Rennsport Reunion style Porsche event
Participants would be from all over Australia.
It would be centred s like:-
Show and shine
Concourse 
Trade displays/sales
Showcasing local food/produce
Events for family/kids
Display laps/runs
Sprints
Regularity 
Racing - various categories such as Carrera Cup, Cup Challenge, early Cup cars Historics, Sports and GT cars

The aim is also to have as much fun stuff off track as on but in essence, it’s about the sporting aspect of Porsche. 

Ive also reached out to AASA and Motorsport Australia (MSA) re sanctioning and insurance.  We’ll need the full suite of safety and race control support for on track/racing but  I know some people ...

I’ve retained the services of one of Australia’s most respected motorsport officials.  She has strong connections into MSA and ASSA, a deep history in Porsche and has been a race and event official right up to national Clerk of Course Level over that last 25 years. In addition, I’ve also roped in one of my best mates who is also very deeply into Porsche. He also happens to be married to the aforementioned person ... some of you will know who I’m talking about ...

MFX is absolutely right, this would be a national event so I would be looking for people on each state to be organisers and event champions in their state, getting together people, making sure they enter and arranging fun stuff up to the event, making sure great cars turn up - which includes the rust riddled right up to the mega cash rare stuff.  It’s a broad, passionate church so elitists can park their ego’s at home and join the rest of us at the party.

The next stop is sponsors and trade support.  I’ll naturally be approaching Porsche for support of some sort but the aim is to make it an event for us so concept and execution will stay with the event organisers and participants.  Even if Porsche is not interested in formally being a part of it, it will still happen. 

The event will not be “corporate”.  I’m thinking Cars and Cabernet on steroids.  Same vibe.  Just  bit more going on ...

Also, making these sorts of commitments won’t be cheap so anyone who is going to enter will need to commit (and be ready to pay $ early) - there will be caps on numbers.

I have no idea what the entry fee will be as that will be dictated by the cost structure and level of any third party support.  I’ll also be looking at whatever grants might be available from a tourism point of view  

Anyway, we’re still at “that’s a good idea” stage ... it’ll be a big commitment so I’ll only be able to press go if I’m comfortable I won’t lose my shirt.

Stay tuned.

You'll probably have to be a bit careful about using the term Rennsport Reunion as it's copyrighted...

I've been to the Aussie version run in Sydney a few years ago (which was really fun) and the real one in the US (which is utterly amazing).  I can't help but think PI is the slightly better option at that time of they year especially if visitors can jack it on to the Australian Open and other Melbourne things?

Kudos to you, I can only imagine how huge an undertaking and commitment it would take to pull something like this together - especially with the current States' penchant to locking-down at a sniffle... We were lucky to get the Luftwasser long weekend in March.

6 hours ago, Fishcop said:

You'll probably have to be a bit careful about using the term Rennsport Reunion as it's copyrighted...

I've been to the Aussie version run in Sydney a few years ago (which was really fun) and the real one in the US (which is utterly amazing).  I can't help but think PI is the slightly better option at that time of they year especially if visitors can jack it on to the Australian Open and other Melbourne things?

Kudos to you, I can only imagine how huge an undertaking and commitment it would take to pull something like this together - especially with the current States' penchant to locking-down at a sniffle... We were lucky to get the Luftwasser long weekend in March.

Thanks  

I’m already doing a Trademark search.  Also, irrespective of that, if it’s owned by or through Porsche, then if they’re on board then should be fine.  If not then I have a contingency just in case. 

RennsportAU

As for the lockdown, any deal to hire a track that I do will have a 100% cancellation refund or at the very least postponement without penalty from the track owner.

I’d try and mirror that with entry fees

As for the event, big yes but I ran the Porsche Australian GT3 Cup Challenge for 3 years for Porsche and was on the board of the series for that time so no great mystery.  The people I’ve got helping have done a few laps as well.

But yes, won’t be a cakewalk ...

45 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Thanks  

I’m already doing a Trademark search.  Also, irrespective of that, if it’s owned by or through Porsche, then if they’re on board then should be fine.  If not then I have a contingency just in case. 

RennsportAU

As for the lockdown, any deal to hire a track that I do will have a 100% cancellation refund or at the very least postponement without penalty from the track owner.

I’d try and mirror that with entry fees

As for the event, big yes but I ran the Porsche Australian GT3 Cup Challenge for 3 years for Porsche and was on the board of the series for that time so no great mystery.  The people I’ve got helping have done a few laps as well.

But yes, won’t be a cakewalk ...

Oh you're that Sven ;)

Seriously, it sounds like a shedload of fun and would be keen to commit if the dates all work!