Farken ell, what a story! 😡

Then of course those assholes just want him to shut up with that moron talking to him after his speech. Typical 🙄

I'm with you Alex. There's no way in a fit I'd be calm if these clowns did that to me, as there'd be some biff going on! 

Just goes to show what we own is not what we 'own'. We're merely just caretakers until the government's decide they want it. Have you seen South Road from Anzac hwy heading south? So many buildings have been forcibly acquired by the state government for the expressway project, and loads of businesses have had to move elsewhere and set up at their own cost. I get it, that's progress, yet some of these people have been paid well below market value for their properties that they and their families before them have lived in for decades, not to mention the business owners who will lose a lot of trade from not having good exposure on a main road! 

I fucken hate politicians and councils with a passion

3 hours ago, 3legs said:

Yeah I thought of of you when that councilman starting talking to the bloke at the end. I was fully expecting him to punch the shit out of him. I dare say you would have not taken that shit :) 

Jeez, am I that predictable? 🤔😅

Think of me as a mix between a few movies. Falling Down, The Gentleman and Groundhog day 😁

• 2 months later...

Correct @tomo

Same as politicians really.

In Adelaide we have the arty farty Fringe every year in the parklands in the CBD that the organisers have to rent from the Adelaide city council at $108,000 for the event. This year they had a record attendance of million people pouring money into the economy (allegedly...I'm not buying it personally), yet just yesterday the organisers have been told by the council that will now be $218,000, and they're also raising the CBD parking fees

Now I'm no fan of the Fringe at all...AT ALL, and I avoid the CBD like the plague and refuse to work in there, yet these council members and local government are pushing so hard to get people into the cbd, yet at the same time insist on making sure people don't want to attend the cbd by raising fees of practically everything. Where's the logic in that? 

They say "Oh well, if you think the parking fees are so high, catch a bus or train..." Why, so you have to pay for unreliable sub par public transport, allow more travel time and maybe even get bashed and robbed by some entitled, dole bludging dropkick? And let's not forget the never ending rental increases that local traders have to absorb.

All its doing is pushing people further away from the CBD and into the suburban shops etc. 

Maybe I'm just that much older that I really don't care about much at all if it doesn't affect me, and yell at clouds now and then, yet if there's one or two things I absolutely despise in life, and that's councils and politicians.

I'm off to go yell at the rain clouds hovering above 🙄

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Correct @tomo

In Adelaide we have the arty farty Fringe every year in the parklands in the CBD that the organisers have to rent from the Adelaide city council at $108,000 for the event. This year they had a record attendance of million people pouring money into the economy (allegedly...I'm not buying it personally), yet just yesterday the organisers have been told by the council that will now be $218,000, and they're also raising the CBD parking fees

Now I'm no fan of the Fringe at all...AT ALL, and I avoid the CBD like the plague and refuse to work in there, yet these council members and local government are pushing so hard to get people into the cbd, yet at the same time insist on making sure people don't want to attend the cbd by raising fees of practically everything. Where's the logic in that? 

They say "Oh well, if you think the parking fees are so high, catch a bus or train..." Why, so you have to pay for unreliable sub par public transport, allow more travel time and maybe even get bashed and robbed by some entitled, dole bludging dropkick? And let's not forget the never ending rental increases that local traders have to absorb.

All its doing is pushing people further away from the CBD and into the suburban shops etc. 

Maybe I'm just that much older that I really don't care about much at all if it doesn't affect me, and yell at clouds now and then, yet if there's one or two things I absolutely despise in life, and that's councils and politicians.

You Mars well, As you get fxck all reaction either way !

23 hours ago, LeeM said:

Correct @tomo

Sounds exactly like Melbourne and possibly every other CBD council I'm guessing.

And they are wondering why the CBD is dying!

7 minutes ago, Joz said:

With Australia set to receive 700thou+ immigrants over the next two years amid a housing shortage crises, amid a builders shortage (at least in Melbourne anyhow) will be interesting to say the least.

I know for a fact that there's at least 350 vacant social housing properties here in Adelaide, and some of them I boarded up over 2 years ago.

There's also an area I used to do a lot of social housing maintenance at not far from me that is earmarked for the demolition of probably 300 homes, and developers, who have already been chosen, to build smaller properties, yet 25% of those must be allocated to social housing and the rest provided as 'affordable housing'. Would you want to buy a property with a potential junkie or parolee living next to you? Thought not.

In that area, I recently saw there are now a few properties on a footprint of 60sqm (sixty!) that are between $485-525k, and you don't even have a driveway. When people are struggling to even save for a deposit, I'm not sure they can be labelled 'affordable' by those who bust their arses every day just to survive, yet I'm pretty sure most of them will be snapped up by investors who will be charging pretty high rents for what they are. 

We all know immigrants are given priority when it comes to housing, and I've seen it first hand, and they also pay f..k all in rent. E:g A recent arrival 2 years ago with 3 kids was whinging to me that they deserve a new kitchen, blinds and a paint job throughout (I was there to see if it all was that bad), as he was paying the high rent of $90 per week for a 3 bedroom house. I rejected their request on the spot, as the place was fine and I'd live in it, but he went off at me, yet as most know here that I don't mince my words, so I let him have it and blackballed the property address. 

Or how about the immigrant family that had arrived from Syria only 3 months prior who were running a day care facility for their mates in a social housing house that I counted 23 kids at charging $30 cash per kid per day...every day! They told me that to my face and were laughing to me at how easy it is to rort the system, so I personally dobbed them in to immigration, the cops and Housing SA. Not the first time I've seen that too!

Some may think I'm too harsh with reference to immigrants, and yes there are some very grateful immigrants who are definitely welcome here because they work, or at least try to, but I really don't care at all about those who don't, as a LOT of these people are costing YOU and everyone else a lot of money to house, feed and provide nearly everything else they need when they work out how to exploit it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it's probably 50% of them that are lapping it up with being handed cash and whatnot for doing absolutely nothing. Yeah theres a lot of Aussies that are also rorting the system, and I've also reported them too, as that was part of my job to do so, yet there's also thousands of genuine Aussie residents who are struggling big time, be it from unemployment through no fault if their own, domestic violence issues, bankruptcy etc, but they're overlooked?  I have zero compassion for anyone who doesn't get off their arse and just takes everything they think they're entitled to, and believe me I've seen that a lot when most bleeding hearts supporting the so called underprivileged are blind as a bat and just welcome these people with open arms. Ok then, how about YOU take them in at your place, YOU feed and clothe them without claiming any financial assistance and see how long that lasts! Would anyone here be happy to do that? Yep, thought so, so why should the tax payer fund another 700,000 people? 

We don't have the housing, we don't have enough hospitals and we don't have all the other infrastructure to support an influx of that many people who probably won't have a very good grasp on the English language, so how can they possibly be in a job that requires it? My missus works with the intellectually disabled, and most of those who work in the houses hardly speak English and often give the disabled the incorrect medication doses, as they can't fkn read English! 

I'm sick of it...I'm sick of our federal government, and especially that stupid little puppet twerp Albanese just throwing open the doors to these people at our cost, yet we're supposed to just be happy with that? 

F..k off 🖕

End of rant...for now

As a retired Centrelink worker of over 30 years I can confirm everything Lee has said except he is being a little conservative as the figures I saw would be well over 50%.

The child care rort was the most used. I caught out so many people and as soon as I challenged them they all of sudden wanted to withdraw their claim. Still sent their claim to the Fraud section and the ATO and guess what every single one of them were foreigners.

The really stupid thing about the child care rort is that anyone with half a brain and access to google maps could catch them out but it seems to have taken the government 30 years to figure that out.

I could go on about the amount of fraud that goes on with Centrelink payments from both immigrants and Aussies but I would be typing all week and still not be finished that is the scale of abuse of our welfare system.

Everything Lee has said is true and if you think he is being racist, which he is not,  then you are part of the problem as it's fact not racism.

Sorry I had to rant as well because what I had to put up with and seeing them get away with it because of our useless appeals tribunals was part of the reason I retired early.

Thanks @3legs 👍

Yep, I'm not a racist at all, yet every time I have said things like I have I am labelled as such...like my 24 hour Facebook ban a day ago on this very topic, but that was not only a racism claim (by an immigrant with not much of grasp of the English language going by her typing skills), but also hate speech...apparently 😅

I've just seen on morning news that an English family who have been living and working here for 8 years are to be deported, as they're apparently "too old" at over 45, even though his skills are as a plasterer (which is on the list of required trades for new immigrants) who runs his own business, and his wife also runs a business with 3 employees. Now imagine if the government did that to a family in the same situation, but were from Sudan, Afghanistan, Syria, India, Pakistan? Instant claims of blatant racism by the bleeding hearts brigade, and the government would bin the idea. 

As Alex has mentioned above about these investigations, they are not enough, as they're rarely, if at all, are prosecuted and dealt with by prison time or deportation as the government had said they will do to any immigrant that commits a serious crime. Imagine you or me running a cashy day care...you'd be locked up straight away and forced to pay a big fine! 

I'm often chastised for my opposition to the social housing/immigrant thing, yet all I'm doing is saying the truth that not many want to hear the same as Alex mentioned above, as it's too controversial in this day and age, and sadly it's usually related to immigrants from the countries I've mentioned. That's racist is it? I think not.

I have many, many other stories I could expose here, as I'm sure Alex could too, but I'd also need a week to do so, but this topic fires me up nearly as much as people hurting animals, so I'll leave it there...probably 🤔🙄

I'm in health care - there is supposed to be a green light to any health care professional wanting to migrate here as we have critical shortages of workers in all fields of health. Albanese has promised processing for most in under 10 days. Stories like the above grind my gears.

It is still challenging (and costly) to get health care professionals approved to come here even on temporary visas (2-4 years). Our latest applications are 3 months old with no word. Now the government opens the flood gates to immigrants when we already have a health care crisis.

The only reason to do this is to keep our unaffordable welfare ponzi scheme going. There are too few working age tax payers to support the boomers as they age out, and without bums on seats to care for them, boomers will be forced to die younger in their homes rather than see the inside of a nursing home.

Immigration is really the only solution, firstly to pay for it, secondly to have the workers to provide care. You have to wonder though, how targeted is the system really when you hear stories like the above, and I have trouble getting health care workers approved?

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

I'm in health care - there is supposed to be a green light to any health care professional wanting to migrate here as we have critical shortages of workers in all fields of health. Albanese has promised processing for most in under 10 days. Stories like the above grind my gears.

It is still challenging (and costly) to get health care professionals approved to come here even on temporary visas (2-4 years). Our latest applications are 3 months old with no word. Now the government opens the flood gates to immigrants when we already have a health care crisis.

The only reason to do this is to keep our unaffordable welfare ponzi scheme going. There are too few working age tax payers to support the boomers as they age out, and without bums on seats to care for them, boomers will be forced to die younger in their homes rather than see the inside of a nursing home.

Immigration is really the only solution, firstly to pay for it, secondly to have the workers to provide care. You have to wonder though, how targeted is the system really when you hear stories like the above, and I have trouble getting health care workers approved?

And the other problem is the knowledge of the health care workers coming into the health system, Having a few reasons of late to need professional medical help, In a regional  area going to a so called "Doctor" is a bit like a lucky dip, They are only helpfull to get a script if you need real help you have to go one of the larger city's which takes months to get a spot, And if you don't have private heath forget it, And I get there quicker than most as the wife is in hospital admin, And comes home a wreck most days from working in a system that is imploding.

3 hours ago, Joz said:

Damn those boomers, another shit they’ve created 😁

This one wasn't their fault at all - its just demographics. We need about 2.5x the beds in nursing homes that we currently have. Without tax dollars, and a motivated work force, that isn't going to happen.

32 minutes ago, tomo said:

And the other problem is the knowledge of the health care workers coming into the health system, Having a few reasons of late to need professional medical help, In a regional  area going to a so called "Doctor" is a bit like a lucky dip, They are only helpfull to get a script if you need real help you have to go one of the larger city's which takes months to get a spot, And if you don't have private heath forget it, And I get there quicker than most as the wife is in hospital admin, And comes home a wreck most days from working in a system that is imploding.

You can blame the University system for this. Universities are motivated to provide education services to foreign students, not Australians. Full fee paying students provide significantly more revenue (about 3 times) than Australian students. Most of the non-Australian citizens finish their degrees and either go home, or move to the US or Europe were there is more money on offer. Which simply means that we're educating less Australian health care professionals as a result.

Successive governments turned Universities into a business, and the crisis in health care is now the (most obvious) outcome.

6 hours ago, sleazius said:

This one wasn't their fault at all - its just demographics. We need about 2.5x the beds in nursing homes that we currently have. Without tax dollars, and a motivated work force, that isn't going to happen.

You can blame the University system for this. Universities are motivated to provide education services to foreign students, not Australians. Full fee paying students provide significantly more revenue (about 3 times) than Australian students. Most of the non-Australian citizens finish their degrees and either go home, or move to the US or Europe were there is more money on offer. Which simply means that we're educating less Australian health care professionals as a result.

Successive governments turned Universities into a business, and the crisis in health care is now the (most obvious) outcome.

Since Howard's election in 1996, $5 billion and 20,000 government-funded places have been cut from the higher education system. HECS fees have increased between 33 and 122 per cent. And next year at eleven universities, fees are due to rise as much as 168 per cent above 1996 levels.

when the rot set in.

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

@sleazius That's why those uni graduates should be forced to stay here for say 10 years at minimum to provide the services they've studied for.

I could say a lot more, yet the main bit is that it just goes to show that Australians really don't matter to the federal government

An alternative view is that because they've paid full fees (and substantial ones at that) and paid locals for accommodation, food, travel and so on, they're entitled to work any place. Our standards are very high which is why people come here to study and it's the same reason why we won't accept many other country's qualified practitioners in medicine (in particular) to just lob up and work, they often need to go through rigorous and expensive testing to gain certification to work here.

From memory, Sydney Uni posted a $1b profit for a year in recent years. If that's correct then, they're doing okay.

The shortage in a nutshell is caused by more people leaving the industry than entering relative to consumer demand for the 'tomorrow and beyond' timeframe (and because it's been happening for decades, we're feeling it now).

Burn out, other opportunities, not enough income to justify the expense of qualification, just too hard....who knows but it's occurring in many industries across the country, and not just medical fields.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Since Howard's election in 1996, $5 billion and 20,000 government-funded places have been cut from the higher education system. HECS fees have increased between 33 and 122 per cent. And next year at eleven universities, fees are due to rise as much as 168 per cent above 1996 levels.

when the rot set in.

From memory, HECS came in about 1985 or 1986. It was almost a token gesture for a qualification but a lot more than the free of fees period of the decades prior to then.

I'm sure that like anything else, as time moves on, fee for service becomes more lucrative and everyone demands a slice of the pie and then everything starts to increase to maintain margins and quality. The cost of infrastructure for the unis must be horrendous. The cost of teachers and technology is continuing to rise.

As the cost goes up and HECS debt accumulates and people deferring work or not meeting the minimum earnings required to stay paying down the debt, the debt owed collectively climbs as does the interest bill on it.

And what was a public sector, public service, country and community improver ie tertiary education, is now seen as private sector money maker that demands a real, market driven return on investment.

I can tell you of a very specific example but it is happening across all universities, and most courses. A specific 4 year health degree has not noticeably increased places since the 90s, however now half the course are foreign students who at most about 1/3 of them stay here.

The population was 18 million in 1996. We now get fewer graduates to stay here than we did back then (just over half), yet our population has increased by 40%. Then people wonder why they can’t get in to see said professional, and if they do why does it cost $250-300 an hour when 5 years ago it was $130.

The rot started in the 80s with HECS, Howard accelerated it, and every government since has done nothing to fix it.

Universities are self licking ice creams. 

They are not responsible or accountable to any government and their sole purpose is to make money, most academics are not promoted based on their ability to teach or impart knowledge but based on their research activities and their published articles.

5 hours ago, jakroo said:

The cost of infrastructure for the unis must be horrendous. The cost of teachers and technology is continuing to rise.

True, yet as you mentioned, Sydney uni still made a one year $1b profit...PROFIT after expenses.

Pretty easy to see what the core focus is there