• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tomo said:

All the so called Leaders of the " Free World" are hanging out for a good war  ,So every one will forget all the mistakes the Fuckers have made over the last 20 odd years. 

I didn’t wanna call it, but I choked on my drink and simply had to do a double take when I heard Kamala Harris on the telly the other night, saying straight faced that “Russia was going to invade Ukraine based on a false pretext”… wasn’t that the same logic or lack thereof for the Iraqi invasion? And where are the supposed WMDs that are still nowhere to be found? 

Now, I’m not making excuses in the least for the atrocities that dictator Putin and his generals are in the process of committing, but geez, America needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and start realising that it’s a case of the pot calling the kettle black. 

Sometimes I wish we didn’t have our heads shoved so tightly up America”s arse…. doesn’t make for a pretty picture. We could learn a bit of finesse and tact from our Antipodean cousins, I reckon.

/end Rant

28 minutes ago, P0RKY said:

“Russia was going to invade Ukraine based on a false pretext”… wasn’t that the same logic or lack thereof for the Iraqi invasion? And where are the supposed WMDs that are still nowhere to be found? 

so, russia has all the rights to attack Ukraine because the USA did so with Iraq?

13 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

so, russia has all the rights to attack Ukraine because the USA did so with Iraq?

Of course not... two wrongs don't make a right. It's just a tad hypocritical for the world's policeman to "police" when her hands are similarly stained with the blood of innocents.

Sigh. There's nothing right in all of this. Just a bunch of wrongs that gets from bad to worse.

1 minute ago, P0RKY said:

Of course not... two wrongs don't make a right. It's just a tad hypocritical for the world's policeman to "police" when her hands are similarly stained with the blood of innocents.

Sigh. There's nothing right in all of this. Just a bunch of wrongs that gets from bad to worse.

I have a clue why you guys don`t really like the US, but hear me out - russia is MUCH worse tha the US. MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

Wanna get the difference? Russia made North Korea, the US - South Korea. If you think they are the same - think again. 

And yes, I`m ukrainian, the kind one that speaks russian as native or better. Just in case. 

52 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

I have a clue why you guys don`t really like the US, but hear me out - russia is MUCH worse tha the US. MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

Wanna get the difference? Russia made North Korea, the US - South Korea. If you think they are the same - think again. 

And yes, I`m ukrainian, the kind one that speaks russian as native or better. Just in case. 

Mate, I’m sorry about the shitstorm that’s happening to your beautiful home country, and I can definitely see where you’re coming from. I hear you loud and clear on how you feel about the Russians.

All I’m saying is that an Iraqi, or a Libyan or an Afghan may hold the same point of view as you do, except their disgust is directed towards the self proclaimed leader of the free world. 

Which brings me back to my original point - these “superpowers” (and I’ll have to include China in there for good measure) only ever have their own selfish, self-serving interests front and centre, and they’d be damned if anyone  dares to get in their way. Yesterday was the Middle East, today - sadly - is Ukraine. What’s tomorrow going to bring? Taiwan?

No, I’m not Middle Eastern - I’m just livid that big countries walk all over, and impose their will on smaller ones. 

I have a theory:

Russia and China are buddies.

Russia invades Ukraine to draw the US and allies in to help defend

US cannot defend on two fronts

China invades and takes Taiwan then proceeds to take the Pacific region.

The old divide and conquer tactic.

Far fetched? I hope so...

Putin, Biden, Obama, Bush, Canadian twat etc , they're all tarred with the same brush, just at different levels, and what does it all come down to? Power...ultimate power to groom their self inflated ego's. I hope they all get a terminal, long suffering disease

Hey @OZ930 the same thought came to me as well. Definitely not as far fetched as you think.

As for the Americans going into Iraq. At least they had an excuse. Two towers and over 3000 dead is a pretty good excuse HOWEVER I will concede that they went in under false information about the WMD's.

Putin, I won't say Russians as I'm sure most Russians are ashamed of this act is going in to satisfy his misguided patriotism.

I seem to remember my history lessons that a certain German leader invaded Poland for very similar reasons.

1 hour ago, 3legs said:

Hey @OZ930 the same thought came to me as well. Definitely not as far fetched as you think.

As for the Americans going into Iraq. At least they had an excuse. Two towers and over 3000 dead is a pretty good excuse HOWEVER I will concede that they went in under false information about the WMD's.

Putin, I won't say Russians as I'm sure most Russians are ashamed of this act is going in to satisfy his misguided patriotism.

I seem to remember my history lessons that a certain German leader invaded Poland for very similar reasons.

Did they? From Wiki:

The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with the militant Islamist group al-Qaeda. They hailed from four countries; fifteen of them were citizens of Saudi Arabia, two were from the United Arab Emirates, one was from Lebanon, and one from Egypt.

Sounded like a pretty flimsy excuse to me... about on par with Putin's repeated lies and pissweak justifications.

Same tactics... cook up an imagined scenario (in Putin's case, something about some Russian lives in danger, in America's case, something about WMDs in Iraq), publicize the propaganda until the people buy it lock, stock & barrel, and then, despite the absence of any UN mandate, march right into a sovereign nation and do as you please.

Again, from Wiki:

Professor Ferencz quoted the British deputy legal adviser to the Foreign Ministry who resigned suddenly before the Iraq war started, stating in her resignation letter:

I regret that I cannot agree that it is lawful to use force against Iraq without a second Security Council resolution. [A]n unlawful use of force on such a scale amounts to the crime of aggression; nor can I agree with such action in circumstances that are so detrimental to the international order and the rule of law.[62]

The invasion of Iraq was neither in self-defense against armed attack nor sanctioned by UN Security Council resolution authorizing the use of force by member states and thus constituted the crime of war of aggression, according to the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) in Geneva.[63][64] A "war waged without a clear mandate from the United Nations Security Council would constitute a flagrant violation of the prohibition of the use of force". We note with "deep dismay that a small number of states are poised to launch an outright illegal invasion of Iraq, which amounts to a war of aggression".[64][65]

Just to make things clear: My original statement was made in response to Kamala Harris' shameless declaration of Russia's false pretenses - conveniently forgetting that her government did the same thing 20 years ago with another sovereign nation. In no way am I trying to justify ANYTHING Putin's doing - in fact, I strongly condemn it. I just call it like I see it - and right now, I am really struggling to see the difference between what Putin's currently doing, and what America did 20 years ago.

Neither do I condone what America did, and what Russia is doing right now, just pointing out that USA at least had some justification for going to war.

Not saying it was the right decision ( actually I agree it was the wrong decision and things could have been done to the same effect without the deaths ).

As an ex soldier, me and my fellow soldiers were the last people who wanted to go to war but unfortunately we don't have a say in it.

Anyway that's enough from me. We are all friends on this website and I'd hate to think that differing opinions would change that.

5 hours ago, 3legs said:

Neither do I condone what America did, and what Russia is doing right now, just pointing out that USA at least had some justification for going to war.

Not saying it was the right decision ( actually I agree it was the wrong decision and things could have been done to the same effect without the deaths ).

As an ex soldier, me and my fellow soldiers were the last people who wanted to go to war but unfortunately we don't have a say in it.

Anyway that's enough from me. We are all friends on this website and I'd hate to think that differing opinions would change that.

Mate, we can certainly agree to disagree (although we're not really disagreeing here), and still get along famously - this is the way a democracy works. And, don't get me started on how the Collegiate Electoral Voting system is NOT a fair representation of the will of the people... :Chuckle2:

Honestly, give me Australia's Representative Voting System any day! 

2 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Would anyone be interested in any Ukraine-Russia war updates from non payed and hopefully sensible source, me?

Absolutely Cheshy. I hardly believe anything said any more by mainstream media, corporate media, legacy media, fake news media call 'em what you like.

Fire away!(excuse the pun)....

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Absolutely Cheshy. I hardly believe anything said any more by mainstream media, corporate media, legacy media, fake news media call 'em what you like.

Fire away!(excuse the pun)....

Love the pun mate.

In advance, forgive my language cos I`m neither a speaker nor a writer and, well, English is not my native language. Hence the weird stuff (if so).

Here we go, roughly:

22.02.2022. Supposed attack of russia (not the capital letter intentionally) on Ukraine. No one gave a crap in the world (Old Joe is old, you know). Ukraine has this peace of crap called pootin`s (pootin is intentional) russia as it`s "best" for 8 years. Ukraine get the chance to stock up weapons etc.

23.02.2022. Pootin and his bitches (no exaggerations here, bloody oath) claim a some part of Ukraine are recognised. And, which is purely a coincidence, they have a paperwork for friendship etc ready to sign. Ukraine get the chance to stock up weapons etc. Reloads mags, got troops ready etc.

24.02.2022. Russia attacks Ukraine. At 4 am in the morning. Like the best - Hitler.  Russia claims - that`s not a WAR, that is just an special operation of "saving" Ukrainian peops from "Nazi regime" controlled by a Jew Zelensky. Yes, the president of my homeland is a Jew. Properly elected by the majority. 

I`ve lost my mind, got stressed, cried like a baby. All this stuff.

24.02.2022. The idea of russian regime is to take over Ukraine within hours. Literally hours. No kidding. 

24.02.2022. Biggest Ukrainian cities are attacked with missiles. Russians tried to destroy military\infrastructure\important objects at once, some sort of wannabe "awe and shock" by the good ol` United States of lovely America. 

24.02.2022. Ukraine got intercepted most of the missiles, got into defence (de-fe-nce!)  very hard. President Mr. Zelensky said: I`m in charge, I`m in Kyiv (the capital of Ukraine), f..ck pooting (that`s my short version of the speech). 

24.02.2022 (bloody hell it was a loooong day for me). I`m literally living 2 lives, here in Australia and there in Ukraine. Sorry, that`s me venting.

25.02.2022. By this time, official russians claim no casualties. Or no loss if we talk about troops and tanks etc. Ukraine claims about 4 tanks, 2 attack helicopters, 1 attack jet etc. Russia claims - we go all the objects we planned to take. Ukraine claims - f..ck you, essentially. 

25.02.2022. Island Zmeiniy (the "Island of Snakes", don`t ask me why, just the direct translation) got 13 Ukrainian troops surrounded by, well.. the Black sea on all sides and some russian battleship on the other one. Russian demands them to surrender or they will be destroyed. The response was, and I quote "f//ck of russian battleship". Our troops git killed within 15 mins or so...

So, we on our land and we never give or surrender. 

I know, that sounds a "movie like". That is the REAL life. Literally. 

I have proofs. 
I mean that.

Wanna get some more?

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Aaargh the fog of war. Mainstream media, politics and war, it's a very dirty business and hugely profitable to some, and not just in $$$ terms. The first casualty of war, the truth!

Oh, c`mon everybody lies. 

19 hours ago, Rick V said:

Time for a new thread?

fixed

5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Aaargh the fog of war. Mainstream media, politics and war, it's a very dirty business and hugely profitable to some, and not just in $$$ terms. The first casualty of war, the truth!

not sure what exactly do you mean, but I`d rather stay a stupid optimist believing Ukrainian Military Forces and friends and family and, well, everyone there than russia. 

I apologise if I got you wrong on this. Too much is happening right now.

Ok back on topic.

I have a 928 with a leaking fuel tank and I'm too bloody busy with other projects and too many bikes in the way to move it to get it tranported to Buiks to get it fixed.

The reason I'm venting is I could drive my Boxster but the bikes and projects are in the way of that as well.

I think I need to get my priorities right :)

All the economies in the world are based on annual growth and taking more marketshare. We already now for many years take more resources  from the planet than what is sustainable. It does not look like globally we are capable to change these systems to something that is sustainable and can work well longterm . I have a feeling The Short Term Game for countries is to aggressively take territory and control to secure resources for themselves , on the expense of weaker countries. Dog eat dog . Let’s just assume the Middle East at some point in the future would be the only place on earth to produce oil , maybe 30% of the global needs only , what do you think will happen? USA , China, Russia , etc will come up with a fair plan to share ? Don’t think so . I believe these countries playing a „ long game“, what might look like some aggression based on Ego , probably is only a chess move for now. . 

• 2 weeks later...

A sparky friend recommended me to his very well cashed up client to repair 2 90mm downlight holes in the 3.4m ceiling as a cashy, as some bloke quoted them $800 without painting.

Got the call, and told him $300 without paint. Now it's something I do most days with wall and ceiling repairs, and I know how long it takes etc, yet this bloke says "That's too expensive. How about $100, as you won't be using much gyprock or flushing materials and it will only take 10 minutes..." 

Well when you consider I have to drive to buy gyprock then to site, set up dust covers, cut and fit the gyprock, do one flush coat and wait for it to dry (I use powder and an additive to halve the drying time to about 20 minutes). Do a 2nd coat and wait, then a final top coat and clean up, do you think I would do it for $100? Tell your missus it's $500. Click

I did a cashy coupla weeks ago (same sparky recommedation) to fill a 900 x 700 kitchen servery hole in a besser brick wall. They were quoted $4,800 to fill it. That's four thousand eight hundred dollars! 😳 No rendering or painting included, as one side was to be covered by a splashback, and the other side they wanted the old saloon doors refitted just for looks/nostalgia (its a mid century modern house). I quoted $300 and did the job within 20 minutes, as it didn't need flushing, but I did one coat to seal it all. They were so happy, they gave me $350, and now it sounds like I'm going to do a load more work for them soon with changing skirtings and other small jobs. Have also had calls from their friends.

I hate people getting ripped off, yet I also hate people expecting those experienced in a particular trade to do a job for next to nothing because they're a tight arse. If you needed a lawyer, accountant or drop your Porsche off to be repaired/services do you haggle with them about their hourly rates? Didn't think so.

Moral of the story. You're not just paying for a tradies time, you're paying for their experience, so if you're a tight arse, go buy the materials and tools and do it yourself