1 hour ago, sjm said:

That's partly the reason I'm letting the 997 go. Can't see me doing roofing and guttering for another 8 years till I'm 67, maybe a handful of hours a week from now on as we're debt free. The extra in super will help take the pressure off.

I'm similar with selling my GT3 6 months back.  Bought a cheaper car, put original GT3 purchase price in the bank to give me some more flexibility, particularly as my super has taken a hit since Dec 21 when I decided to semi-retire.  Feel as if I'm in a good place now 🙂 

Your mental and physical health seems to so undervalued, even by me who owned the business.

Nearly killed me, I was fried. Not sure if anyone here is or has been in the hospitality game, but it took me decades to grow a brain and get out .

Now ten years on I have a much better work life balance . Finally! At 60 and a bit.

So these days I like a laugh more than most things, we’ll if you hadn’t noticed 😊

4 hours ago, sjm said:

That's partly the reason I'm letting the 997 go. Can't see me doing roofing and guttering for another 8 years till I'm 67, maybe a handful of hours a week from now on as we're debt free. The extra in super will help take the pressure off.

Our mortgage is pretty low compared to others, and I could knock most of it out if I sold the air cooled, yet with her indoors getting the sooks on every time I mention it, that's out of the question...for now, as I'm not that bothered with owning the car these days. Handy that our house value has more than doubled this past coupla years, so at least I know the missus will have something after I'm gone.

We did some roofing recently (mate is a roof plumber/chippy by trade) on a hot day, so I know what a pain that is mate. I don't envy you at all with that one! 

@Joz Mate, if there's one industry I'd never want to be in, it's hospitality! Being a muso in various pubs over the years, you really do get to see how crap people can be after a few sherbets. I really don't miss that part of doing gigs.

S'pose at my age now I just need a bit of a break, or at least to be able to slow down and look after meself a bit better as I don't have the drive anymore, as how long do I have left on this planet? Who fkn knows, so I may as well enjoy it

On 13/01/2023 at 19:50, LeeM said:

S'pose at my age now I just need a bit of a break, or at least to be able to slow down and look after meself a bit better as I don't have the drive anymore, as how long do I have left on this planet? Who fkn knows, so I may as well enjoy it

You do need to do what's best for you now, as no guarantees we will be around tomorrow! 

I would retire now if I could afford it as work is just a means to an end for me. Unfortunately I still need to work as I was a professional athlete out of uni and unlike golf or tennis the sport had no money so I lived a dirtbag life for a number of years and subsequently have little Super.

I am though now mortgage free and being so is a huge burden gone.  As a widower with no dependants and therefore no financial responsibilities I took a pay cut and went to a 9 day fortnight. A small step but having a long weekend every fortnight really helps recover mentally.

Annoyingly I know I will be made redundant in the next year or two so dreading having to find another job when that happens...

@tomo I should bail now and a few longtimers have. Though the thought of making them pay me ~70 weeks redundancy payout makes staying and putting up with the crap palitable.

With that plus my 26 weeks or so LSL I've always saved as my find another job fund, I was thinking I'd head to Europe for a few months. There I'd look at buying a motorbike and touring around taking in events like the Le Man's Classic, Isle of Man TT, Goodwood etc before returning and looking for work. Risk I see there is me extending the holiday instead of applying for jobs!

32 minutes ago, Dalai said:

@tomo I should bail now and a few longtimers have. Though the thought of making them pay me ~70 weeks redundancy payout makes staying and putting up with the crap palitable.

With that plus my 26 weeks or so LSL I've always saved as my find another job fund, I was thinking I'd head to Europe for a few months. There I'd look at buying a motorbike and touring around taking in events like the Le Man's Classic, Isle of Man TT, Goodwood etc before returning and looking for work. Risk I see there is me extending the holiday instead of applying for jobs!

26 weeks of accrued long service leave. So I gather not many actual job interviews. Assuming that find a job fund is  a bit like a term deposit.  2 to  3 %pa over the journey  depending on  your annual salary increases and  a  circa 500% plus  increase in accrued  lsl from  your first payslip to your current .  If you do find yourself in a redundancy position do you have any sway to getting it on the right side of June 30 for a bit more free kick petrol money for your trip.

5 hours ago, tomo said:

Jump ship first,  You seem to be able to get a another job easier while you are employed than when your not, I do not know why, But my employment up and down journey over the last 45 years is the evidence. ; )

I agree that finding a job before you leave is a much safer bet, yet from past experience with myself, I feel taking the risk of doing the opposite will be more beneficial to one's mental health, due to being able to reasses what you 'want' to do whilst having a break.

Yes that's a much riskier option financially, and believe me I know that right now, yet once you create a situation where you're out of your comfort zone, you tend to focus more on yourself with what you want than what others want you to be.

I really have no idea what the future holds for me with earning a crust, and to be honest I feel I'm letting my missus down by not having a regular income, yet fortunately she insists I take it easier at my age and things will work out as we go.

We don't have a nest egg apart from the house and my 911, we don't focus our life on what we could have if we worked harder, we live in the now, because as mentioned above you really can't predict what happens in the future, so you may as well enjoy it whilst you can. 

29 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

26 weeks of accrued long service leave. So I gather not many actual job interviews.

If you do find yourself in a redundancy position do you have any sway to getting it on the right side of June 30 for a bit more free kick petrol money for your trip.

Correct. 21 years at the one place. Not looking forward to the job interviews and acting like it will be the best thing since sliced bread working for them! 

Thanks for the tip. Doubt I'll have much sway but if they start offering them I'll most likely grab it. They plan on possibly needing a skeleton staff to manage interactions with the new platform provider (reason for redundancies) but that work sounds horrible so rather get out with some extra money.

• 1 month later...

Not so much of a vent but WTF, how can someone be so stupid especially as he's not a young fella.

Took this photo this morning at my local supermarket.

What's wrong with this picture. I'm sure most motorcylists amongst us will get it first time.

Now before you guys go all woke on me and give me a hard time, I've been guilty of doing stupid things on bikes many times ( still do ) but not at this level ever and for those that say well it's his life he can do what he wants well tell that to the ambos that have to deal with this form of stupidity ( and no @LeeM it's not me 🤣🤣🤣 ).

IMG_4404 (4).jpg

48 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Not so much of a vent but WTF, how can someone be so stupid especially as he's not a young fella.

What's wrong with this picture. I'm sure most motorcylists amongst us will get it first time.

Now before you guys go all woke on me and give me a hard time, I've been guilty of doing stupid things on bikes many times ( still do ) but not at this level ever and for those that say well it's his life he can do what he wants well tell that to the ambos that have to deal with this form of stupidity ( and no @LeeM it's not me 🤣🤣🤣 ).

IMG_4404 (4).jpg

Incredibly stupid behaviour needs tassels to go with the studs .

2 hours ago, 3legs said:

IMG_4404 (4).jpg

KEEN-Utility-Key-West-steel-toe-flip-flops-2.jpg

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Taiwanese safety boots mate 👍

And no @3legs, I didn't think it was you. 

As funny as it'd be, I can't begin to imagine the pain he'd be in if he tossed it down the road.

It happened  to me many years ago, Had my redwing boots on just kocked of work on  my KZ1000 heading home got centre punched by a shitbox Datsun, Damn near lost my left foot , Only fuck wits ride bikes in bare feet .

50 minutes ago, tomo said:

It happened  to me many years ago, Had my redwing boots on just kocked of work on  my KZ1000 heading home got centre punched by a shitbox Datsun, Damn near lost my left foot , Only fuck wits ride bikes in bare feet .

Not smart at all!

Many years ago I once watched in horror a guy in just shorts n thongs with his bikini clad girlfriend on the back toss his Harley down the main street in Glenelg (popular seaside suburb for those who don't know).

It put me off mince meat for a while I can telya that much! Wasn't pretty 

21 hours ago, 3legs said:

IMG_4404 (4).jpg

What’s the issue? he ,she or it identifies as protected

Have to comment on the profit just reported by Aramco - $USD161B for f***s sake. Thats on top of the Exxon Mobile record profit of USD$56B! What happened to the supposed supply problems and the associated high production price of oil pushing the end cost of petrol up during the Pandemic!

It was obviously just plain straight out price gouging! Bastards all of them. Vent finished!

Oh it's the Ukraine war mate...didn't you know?

Don't forget Shell and their record profits. Qantas and their $1.1b profit, yet received how much from the Australian government with handouts they don't have to pay back, yet dismissed loads of employees? 

It's all been a fkn scam mate

• 3 weeks later...

Driving this morning on a major road in peak hour surrounded by B doubles, and this dropkick on a scooter is doing 45-50 in the right hand lane. Of course I was stuck behind this asshat, so when I had the opportunity to get passed him, he was copping an earfull!

Well...this dickhead had his phone on the handlebars and was sending f...ing text messages! 😳😡

I pulled up at the lights, got out of the van and ripped into him. Of course he could hardly speak English, so my sweary words probably meant nothing to him, yet he got the gist of what I was on about. I was very tempted to rip his phone off and throw it across the road! 

Wanker