Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

22 hours ago, Dalai said:

Interesting to see a km/hr speedo. Don't UK cars usually have the km/hr sticker over the original MPH speedo?

True.  But its only a 10 minute job to swap speedo's in these cars so you would want to check that the service records and any other work invoices plausibly support the current odometer reading to check if it's original or not.  

Evening all. New member - first post.

I’ve  previously gone through several more modern Pcars but always ALWAYS wanted to scratch the 3.2 itch. As a boy, I grew up in regional Qld. Quite possibly the only 911 within 200 km was in the garage next door, and 40 years later that has been a very expensive (yet enjoyable) memory.

Have just bought an M491 SuperSport coupe. 85 build, 86 MY. G15 car. Absolutely stock and mint. Still has factory delivery stickers on the dash.

It’s a UK car but for the last circa 20 years in Melbourne. White over blue leather and pin striped fabric. Have probably paid far too much - although it was less than the red 3.2 (still) for sale in Brisbane, however that reflects the mileage, which is 40,000.

I bought it through a well known Sydney dealer but it didn’t make it to the website because he knew i was actively searching. Until it clears the PPI later this week I won’t share any photos.

My question is not so much about the perceived value - although that is of course a function of what the market (me) will pay - but does anyone know the car? The Turbo-Look registry didn’t have records of it so I wonder if it has been hiding in a temperature controlled garage for a very long time. Porsche Centre Melbourne history and prior to that, Corkills Porsche on the Isle of Man.

Would very much appreciate any knowledge about the known Australian history - if anyone knows the car.

Cheers.

Thank you Tomo - agreed, it should but that is where it gets unusual. The history is all there in terms of the manuals and the service books being consistently stamped but the dealer has no paperwork/receipts other than that. For a car which has clearly been extremely well cared for and utterly cherished i would have expected a file of paperwork an inch thick. The registry has confirmed from the sticker that is is an original M491 but other than that it’s to some extent a ghost car - hence the question trying to find some more history. 

1 hour ago, GDC010 said:

Thank you Tomo - agreed, it should but that is where it gets unusual. The history is all there in terms of the manuals and the service books being consistently stamped but the dealer has no paperwork/receipts other than that. For a car which has clearly been extremely well cared for and utterly cherished i would have expected a file of paperwork an inch thick. The registry has confirmed from the sticker that is is an original M491 but other than that it’s to some extent a ghost car - hence the question trying to find some more history. 

Arrh understand ,Good luck with your search.

Cheers, spoke with them today. They do have records but only going back 5 years - and it’s been in the country for much longer than that. Once registration is done and the car technically belongs to me later this week they should be able to release that information.

At least it’s a start!

10 minutes ago, symsy said:

I have a complete 3.8 if you want a slightly slower weapon ;)   I think our engines might peel those glass panels off @reggiegums

And probably the paint ....

Hahaha...... true.

3.8 NA? from 964/993?? I'd much rather your engine. Can't beat a 3.8 NA engine.

7 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

Hahaha...... true.

3.8 NA? from 964/993?? I'd much rather your engine. Can't beat a 3.8 NA engine.

NA 993

Talking of glass panels , you could use it as a spare for this https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/porsche-917-596253

This is in your neck of the woods isnt it and still for sale ;) 

917.jpeg

18 hours ago, symsy said:

I have a complete 3.8 if you want a slightly slower weapon ;)   I think our engines might peel those glass panels off @reggiegums

How much do engines like this run? Am not in the market this minute, but will be soon... 

3 minutes ago, BRU said:

How much do engines like this run? Am not in the market this minute, but will be soon... 

Probably a big discussion.. starters 25 for any decent motor and then depending on build, rods , pistons, cams and more and then distributors, finishes, tin wear , if they have induction and perhaps exhausts  thru to 60 maybe more. Really depends on their status..   Both of these motors would be quite rare.. not many 993 3.8S AND turbo motors kicking around. Sorry its a bit of a how long is a bit of string question.  @Mike D'Silva  has been doing some great work in the area of builds lately  and might be able to give a general comment for a  starter donor motor needing work and  an of example where costs addd up..in getting them to a decent spec,  perhaps in a side thread. My last top end overhaul on a 3.2 $10k plus on a 20k motor .

5 minutes ago, symsy said:

Probably a big discussion.. starters 25 for any decent motor and then depending on build, rods , pistons, cams and more and then distributors, finishes, tin wear , if they have induction and perhaps exhausts  thru to 60 maybe more. Really depends on their status..   Both of these motors would be quite rare.. not many 993 3.8S AND turbo motors kicking around. Sorry its a bit of a how long is a bit of string question.  @Mike D'Silva  has been doing some great work in the area of builds lately  and might be able to give a general comment for a  starter donor motor needing work and  an of example where costs addd up..in getting them to a decent spec,  perhaps in a side thread. My last top end overhaul on a 3.2 $10k plus on a 20k motor .

Awesome, this gives me a good guide. Thank you.  

On 17/03/2021 at 14:33, symsy said:

ah, @symsy I'd be all over this 3.8 other than: (i) it'll cost more than I can afford particularly with your legendary haggling skills; and perhaps more importantly, (ii) I'm keen to do as much as possible of the building of such an engine myself.