Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Just went to Bocchinos to adjust my boot lid today and saw this time warp beauty for sale. It is an Aust Delivered 89 3.2 with 65k kms. One owner from new (famous Hobart Dentist) with a Multitude of options. The car is asking 295k...Sat in the car and it smelt like new!

Looks like I would have to keep my targa now 😞🧐 

8BD18760-CF1D-45B6-B10B-BB55D5B5D893.jpeg

89A91487-E5FD-4DAB-B90E-6BFEE506BFB2.jpeg

1F1800CA-7C9C-4FBC-A1A3-E3CC054A4E71.jpeg

0B89453E-995F-4FA1-B22D-CB8114338FD5.jpeg

C2FF1C68-8391-4272-B2E7-0256B0B089D5.jpeg

8D15CD02-D9E3-410A-9A2D-FF0E99E5235B.jpeg

69710B7B-D228-43CE-B3B2-4EA430A5322B.jpeg

2 hours ago, drmurugti said:

Just went to Bocchinos to adjust my boot lid today and saw this time warp beauty for sale. It is an Aust Delivered 89 3.2 with 65k kms. One owner from new (famous Hobart Dentist) with a Multitude of options. The car is asking 295k...Sat in the car and it smelt like new!

I read that incorrectly 295kms for 65k

3 hours ago, drmurugti said:

Muru, wonder if it is the same Hobart dentist who had a Dino and sold that last year?

I don't care how effing good that car is but no 3.2 is worth near on $300k and if he gets his asking price I want the new owner to adopt me and spend his squillians on me.

Having said that I would love one in my shed.

19 minutes ago, 3legs said:

I don't care how effing good that car is but no 3.2 is worth near on $300k and if he gets his asking price I want the new owner to adopt me and spend his squillians on me.

Having said that I would love one in my shed.

Makes a 996 look like the steal of a lifetime.  Could buy at least 4-5 for the same money and tuck 3 away until everyone finally realises just how damn good they are!!!!

51 minutes ago, Jim45 said:

Has anyone inquired regarding the extent of the write-off?

https://tinyurl.com/ajnwndnm

In 10 years no one will care..!

Oh you'll care...

I'd be keener on a well repaired collision write-off than a "weather" related write-off.  Be super sure it's not a flooded car (and there will be dozens of them coming up after the recent rains)  Sure you can clean up putrid estuarine water from a car - but it will fail somewhere as a result of early corrosion. 

IMG_0586.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Oh you'll care...

I'd be keener on a well repaired collision write-off than a "weather" related write-off.  Be super sure it's not a flooded car (and there will be dozens of them coming up after the recent rains)  Sure you can clean up putrid estuarine water from a car - but it will fail somewhere as a result of early corrosion. 

IMG_0586.jpeg

My guess is that it’s a write off from a long while ago .. I was under the impression that there is no more “repairable” write offs and you cannot register them in Oz anymore.

Happy to be corrected ..

@Jim45 ... I reckon people will still care. Its always been a bad stigma and always will be .. probably care more due to the money involved.

57 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

My guess is that it’s a write off from a long while ago .. I was under the impression that there is no more “repairable” write offs and you cannot register them in Oz anymore.

Happy to be corrected ..

@Jim45 ... I reckon people will still care. Its always been a bad stigma and always will be .. probably care more due to the money involved.

I'd stand to be corrected on RWO rules - but I thought it was still an option under some circumstances?  Would be good to know the rules - but caveat emptor no matter what!

3 hours ago, Jim45 said:

Would want to be substantially more discounted compared to other cars to gain my interest. 

And I would still care.

Or, just avoid the whole WOVR drama and for a little extra you could buy a very similar 997C2S from a known PFA member. @wilburforce

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

I'd stand to be corrected on RWO rules - but I thought it was still an option under some circumstances?  Would be good to know the rules - but caveat emptor no matter what!

So .. after a little googling, I came up with this ..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/vehicle-registration/written-off/owning-or-buying.html

In short, they can't be re-registered in NSW (didn't look at other states) if written off. Can be bought and sold but only used for parts.

There are some exemptions in extreme circumstances,  but nothing that will help the average punter.

The reason they started this was to stop the rebirthing of stolen vehicles with the info from the crashed cars .. 

32 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

So .. after a little googling, I came up with this ..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/vehicle-registration/written-off/owning-or-buying.html

In short, they can't be re-registered in NSW (didn't look at other states) if written off. Can be bought and sold but only used for parts.

There are some exemptions in extreme circumstances,  but nothing that will help the average punter.

The reason they started this was to stop the rebirthing of stolen vehicles with the info from the crashed cars .. 

That's good to know.  Had the flooded Cayman been a manual, I'd have been tempted to grab it off the local owner for a track project.  As it is, so long as parts are well cleaned, the wreck will go on to give other Boxter/Caymans some handy parts.  If anyone ends up look at this car at the auctions, it got brackish water up to gauges through it...

It appears that New South Wales is the only doofus state, to not allow repairable write off’s to be registered

remember that many people , If it is in their interests, example, late model & expensive will cash settle with an insurance company

So there are likely many happy self-satisfied Porsche and other drivers banging around in crash damaged but nicely repaired vehicles and none the wiser

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Not quite true Dreamr.  Exemptions can be granted in 'limited' circumstances, not as you state 'extreme' circumstances.

For example, a vehicle that has been significantly hail damaged could be given exemption as would a vehicle keyed on all panels and had the windows busted.  Substantial water inundation while it floated at high speed in to a bridge pier is not one scenario that is likely to allow it to be granted exemption.

My Evo was close to being written off after being keyed on 6 panels, and other than weighing a lot more due to an extra coat of paint, there was nothing wrong with it.

With prices of spare parts and labour at the spectrum indicator level of of 'gouging', it really isn't too hard to 'financially write off' a perfectly functional car.

Note the last 'exempt category'.....of course, once it's been re-registered by the owner at time of repair then it's free to be sold and registered just like any other vehicle.

I would argue that many of the restored but previously rusted out air cooled cars with bits and pieces cobbled together and bolted and welded on, donated from several other vehicles and then repainted with an engine rebuild at the cost of many times the initial purchase price are probably just as 'dodgy' as a more modern car repair.

++++++++

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/vehicle-registration/written-off/re-registering-a-light-vehicle.html#Whichwritten-offvehiclescanbere-registered

Exempt categories (and only once it's been established that there's 2 or fewer non repairable damage areas as per the criteria)

Transport will only consider applications to repair and re-register written-off light vehicles if they fit one of the exempt vehicle categories:

- hail damaged, where you were the registered operator immediately before the vehicle was hail damaged (contact your insurer)

- inherited in a will or letters of administration

- registered in your name for more than 28 days before the damage that caused it to be written-off.

++++++++

The item has already been discounted so like any other issue (such as private import) that seems to afflict Porsche drivers the it's cheap in and cheap out and this is perfectly acceptable. 

So back to the original question - just what made it a write off. 

11 hours ago, Jim45 said:

As mentioned, people will always care, but that doesn't mean you should never buy a vehicle on the WOVR. Firstly, as long as the repairs are done well and the car is good otherwise, you just want to make sure you get it at least 20% below market as you will take at least that much (even in 10 years time) when you go to sell it again. You also need to acknowledge that it is going to be tougher to sell, as many would never consider it no matter the price.

I have owned a few written off vehicles and as long as you go in with your eyes open, you can save yourself some $.