Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

A two owner 993 auto for $75k and low k’s, it looks like a clean car and chances are that if it were a manual, it’d be sold by now!
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1995/SSE-AD-3162571/?Cr=0

Another ’83 convertible 911 from the UK, $37,500.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-3348941/?Cr=0

I'm sure there are plenty of good cars out there, just none hitting the market or being exchanged behind closed doors! Shame if you're not in the 'circle'.

Anyone tempted by UK cars would do well to flick through the May 2015 edition to see what sort of rust can lurk beneath shiny paintwork.

Once seen never forgotten. 

btw it has some great stories , and the controversial Top 25 Porsches. 

The magazine looks collectible , so I bought 25 of them ;)

911%20&%20Porsche%20World%202015-05_0000

Call me a speculator but PM me with your best offer! :lol:

In a box under the bed and drag them out in 25 years for ebay : "mint , unused"

Actually some of those mag editions sell out and collectors will pay to complete the set. I am still after 1 very early edition of Classic Porsche mag , now I sub.

Anyone tempted by UK cars would do well to flick through the May 2015 edition to see what sort of rust can lurk beneath shiny paintwork.

Once seen never forgotten. 

btw it has some great stories , and the controversial Top 25 Porsches. 

The magazine looks collectible , so I bought 25 of them ;)

911%20&%20Porsche%20World%202015-05_0000

Like all generalizations there are usually exceptions, so a blanket statement should not deter those inclined to look outside the Australian Market for value.

I have had a UK delivered car for over 15 years and the 'all UK cars are rust buckets' implication doesn't resonate with me. I have never had a problem with rust full-stop. So if in 5yrs time some rust shows up I am probably going to have to blame the Aussie climate not its UK delivery.  All cars rust if they are continually exposed to adverse elements and conditions. But if they are not or they are well cared for, they will not.

There is also the bonus that UK cars come from the factory how Porsche intended for that model. They are not de-tuned and a tad sluggish because of Australian needs at the time. E.g a G50 with a 930/20 motor is a lot of fun which unfortunately for the Australian market was not available to them. We got shortchanged.  Do your homework today and you might get value.

I wasn't knocking imports ; I've got one myself. I thoroughly cleaned the wheel wells and emptied 2 cans of fish oil into each kidney bowl area before I used in in the wet.

Because even "Australian delivered" cars rust. And paying for rust repair is sort of starting behind the 8 ball of the fun you're supposed to be treating yourself to.

Like all generalizations there are usually exceptions, so a blanket statement should not deter those inclined to look outside the Australian Market for value.

I have had a UK delivered car for over 15 years and the 'all UK cars are rust buckets' implication doesn't resonate with me. I have never had a problem with rust full-stop. So if in 5yrs time some rust shows up I am probably going to have to blame the Aussie climate not its UK delivery.  All cars rust if they are continually exposed to adverse elements and conditions. But if they are not or they are well cared for, they will not.

There is also the bonus that UK cars come from the factory how Porsche intended for that model. They are not de-tuned and a tad sluggish because of Australian needs at the time. E.g a G50 with a 930/20 motor is a lot of fun which unfortunately for the Australian market was not available to them. We got shortchanged.  Do your homework today and you might get value.

+1

The constant comments about UK cars are getting a bit wearisome.  With every car purchase it is up to the buyer to understand the potential pitfalls and do their due diligence.

I chose to go to huge expense to bring my car from the UK to Australia as I knew it was a good one and it was the only car I could guarantee had no rot.  I would not be able to say that about an Aussie delivered P car or any other car that I did not know.

Btw, not a go at you Tazzieman

Btw, not a go at you Tazzieman

Ta , but never offended if anyone wants to fire arrows at me :D I just duck and weave , or take it on the chin!

It does pay for people to get down on their knees with a magnet and be very critical looking for rust in any classic car...and be prepared to walk away if they detect structural corrosion.

You just have to read about the cost of repairing wings and sills in classic car mags to put this at the top of "do not want" features.

Old Porsches are expensive enough.

Ta , but never offended if anyone wants to fire arrows at me :D I just duck and weave , or take it on the chin!

It does pay for people to get down on their knees with a magnet and be very critical looking for rust in any classic car...and be prepared to walk away if they detect structural corrosion.

You just have to read about the cost of repairing wings and sills in classic car mags to put this at the top of "do not want" features.

Fair enough Tazzieman. 

My commentary was generated because I have always been intrigued by the dismissive attitude in some quarters if a car is not oz delivered. Note that I am not referring to anything you have posted.?

If the car checks out, it is what it is regardless of where it was delivered. 

If it comes from HK for example why would that make it a lesser car than a oz delivered one if the providence and history were in order?

And this apparent bias disappears from some of the commentary if it's a rarer example .....say a 930 or a C3 or a pre 74 etc.

They are all indivigal cars with their own story and deserved to be treated on their merits. 

Rant over and I will get back in my box.

The "Aussie delivered" is an attempt to introduce artificial value to the car.

It may allay some fears about salted roads , but plenty of Aussies live in humid , maritime climates and park their cars in the elements (the sun is far worse than England). And plenty of Aussie delivered cars have little or no provenance.

A "good condition: imported car is just as good as "good condition + locally delivered" as you have alluded, barring fear or prejudice against LHD in some cases.

Better advice is to read the "Used 911 Story" book by Pete Zimmerman,  as there are plenty of mechanical issues which beset the various years ; issues which need to be understood as potential moneytraps - and to guide purchase negotiations..

Rant over and I will get back in my box.

ranting is common. You are among friends.

i used to live near Bondi where I kept one of those outdoor heaters on the balcony. Within about 8 months it had rusted to the point it was unusable. Got me thinking at the time that I should avoid cars kept near the ocean. They all must by rusty in tassie, as they are surrounded by the stuff.

still searching for my Dubbo barn find ;)

I wrote something on this in another post a little while back.

I personally wouldn't buy a non Oz delivered 911. Not that there's anything specifically wrong with an import, just a personal preference.

If it's from a LHD country, there's the stigma of the conversion .... have the right parts been used, did they know what they were doing, etc.

If it's from say the UK .... it has the unfortunate stigma of salty roads and rainy climate.

I certainly don't want to get into who's right and who's wrong, but it just boils down to personal preference. The same goes with matching numbers ... some will, some won't.

Everyone has an opinion on what they desire in a car ... coupe, targa, convertible .... import, Oz delivered, left hand drive, right hand drive .... who really cares as long as the owner / driver is happy.

Assess the condition & buy/pay accordingly.

If it's the same car from the same factory in the same condition, then the only thing the UK stigma really does is provide an opportunity to get one of these gems.

Sounds like we're all basically on the same page however I'll go one step further and suggest that even structural corrosion is not such a big deal and as long you understand what you're looking at and price in the repair (proper repair from a reputable Porsche body shop) when you purchase the vehicle.  With rising values more and more cars will be considered to be worth saving rather than being turned into parts bins.

We all have our own little personal 'filters' in whatever it is we care to discuss, brand name appliances, bedside slippers, local or Imported 911's.... To brand all UK cars as rusting hulks is folly in the same way as declaring all Aus cars to be beyond reproach can be equally daft. Ultimately they all come from the same factory unless there was a secret factory bulletin saying certain markets only got the rubbish ones! :P 

Could this be true????

More importantly however, I now understand 928's are suddenly splendid?!?!