Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

The answer is "because they can".

And this is the best lick cartoon I have found ; it's on my fridge as a "note to all dog lovers"

65d4d57c6a2d06c3bfa95c931b0f63e6.jpg 

If you're suggesting that the owner of that car can lick his nuts and date and that if he were to kiss me after licking said nuts and date I would tell him I love him and forgive him for that paint job--I'm afraid that's not how the situation would play out:) 

Why do dogs lick their whatsits?

dunno, but i do know that someone handed over 20 big one for that paint job...a dog can lick it's nuts and date for free. 

Edited by Blue964

30 cars all below estimate - not just Porsches.

Just sounds like Bonhams etc are shit at estimating.

Not just Bonhams when you do your research.

Doesn't matter if you are keeping the car to actually drive.

The market is getting over many old 911s as they did with E types after the 50th anniversary hype.

People still fight over old Ford Cortinas though. 

Like most auction 'experts'. 

Really, why is every car brand's value determined by auction results? 

So a basic Beetle that might be worth $20,000 TOPS (more likely 10 to 15k max) if it was a mega nice car, was expected to sell for less than $50k, even with Seinfelds name attached to it, yet it goes for $110k. Does that make every mega nice 60 beetle worth upwards of $50k? No, it just means there was an idiot in the crowd with a big paddle and a fat wallet.

People THINK that if a car sells for $ XXXXXX at an auction, that automatically sets the global value of ALL of that model. Bollocks

People THINK that if a car sells for $ XXXXXX at an auction, that automatically sets the global value of ALL of that model. Bollocks

Auction results over time might indicate a trend for certain makes and models. Or not. At the top of the market it is as with most things in the burbs , social competition for status. And the odd astute careful collector , a curator of a personal museum.

My rule of thumb , halve the auction estimate and add no more than a 1/4. Be prepared to walk away with an expressionless face and careless heart. Even rich people like Trump and Fat Clive aren't clever enough to keep their fortunes. Keep ego in wallet , boys & girls!

Not just Bonhams when you do your research.

Doesn't matter if you are keeping the car to actually drive.

The market is getting over many old 911s as they did with E types after the 50th anniversary hype.

People still fight over old Ford Cortinas though. 

$411,000 for a left to right converted 356A in wrong colours doesn't sound like people are getting over old Porsches.

If that isn't a record price in this country, it's pretty close.

Ah sorry - re read your post ... you said old 911's. 

Let me guess, 928s are about to go gang busters tho ;)

Edited by ELSPORTO

Like most auction 'experts'. 

Really, why is every car brand's value determined by auction results? 

So a basic Beetle that might be worth $20,000 TOPS (more likely 10 to 15k max) if it was a mega nice car, was expected to sell for less than $50k, even with Seinfelds name attached to it, yet it goes for $110k. Does that make every mega nice 60 beetle worth upwards of $50k? No, it just means there was an idiot in the crowd with a big paddle and a fat wallet.

for a man trying to sell a car you sure know how to hype the market mate.

Go get the punters excited about their Beetle purchases. You might get them to upgrade to a 912 ;) 

Let me guess, 928s are about to go gang busters tho ;)

Many reasons for 911 prices to be high , not the least is a racing heritage and long model production. the racing heritage pulls in the wannabe racers who like to trick their cars up in every way shape and form. 928 prices are unreasonably low for what the car delivers. But without a racing heritage it will not be in the same price league - too many made , say compared to a Ferrari Daytona (which has a racing heritage).
But like the Jensen Interceptor with its plain Chevy Chrysler lump , the 928 is the go to retro GT car with real sporting ability. The 996/7 of its day. 

Most of us hanging on to our 928s don't care if the prices go up or not. Neither do we need to go nuts modding what is an already resolved and capable car! 

I've got an original matching numbers uncrashed low km AC911 if I feel the need to get the angle grinder out. A sunroof would be cool, and ...

Edited by tazzieman
Senior moment

for a man trying to sell a car you sure know how to hype the market mate.

Go get the punters excited about their Beetle purchases. You might get them to upgrade to a 912 ;) 

I have a fair bit of interest in my car the past coupla days guvna, both here and the UK. I'm trying not to come across as being a smartass know it all, far from it, yet I don't really need an auction 'expert' telling me what he thinks it might sell for when quoting past, or current auction results. To me, walk up buyers dictate the market, not an auctioneers estimates ;)

To me, walk up buyers dictate the market, not an auctioneers estimates ;)

Indeed , it should be like on Wheeler Dealers for the average transaction , should take about 2 minutes max and the buyer should front with cash in the back pocket.

Not too dissimilar to how the average auction works.

Due diligence on both sides enables a quick interaction with a happy ending.

Many reasons for 911 prices to be high , not the least is a racing heritage and long model production. the racing heritage pulls in the wannabe racers who like to trick their cars up in every way shape and form. 928 prices are unreasonably low for what the car delivers. But without a racing heritage it will not be in the same price league - too many made , say compared to a Ferrari Daytona (which has a racing heritage).But like the Jensen Interceptor with its plain Chevy lump , the 928 is the go to retro GT car with real sporting ability. The 996/7 of its day. 

Most of us hanging on to our 928s don't care if the prices go up or not. Neither do we need to go nuts modding what is an already resolved and capable car! 

I've got an original matching numbers uncrashed low km AC911 if I feel the need to get the angle grinder out. A sunroof would be cool, and ...

Sorry Taz, my OCD just kicked in, Jensen Interceptors have a Chrysler lump up front, but it doesn't change your point.

Definitely similar to an auction, though an auction sometimes has its benefits. It can, and has been a better alternative if a particular car is the latest, greatest must have item with buyers getting sucked into a bidding war. I had thought about it with mine as a last resort, though at the moment, it has received more interest than I had thought it would

Do you consider this exceptionally low KMS's ?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-12489113&Cr=82

I wonder if the price will come down…going to have to for it to ever get in my garage ..maybe need a GFC even ..

Hows about the green decal?

GT2 or GT3 RS.. is the question 

I wonder if the price will come down…gonna have to to get in my garage ..maybe need a GFC even ..

Or maybe this; http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2001/OAG-AD-12538506/?Cr=6

Not for the faint hearted though! ;):D

I completely agree...

Anyone for an 86 Targa in WA for $40K personal import, looks ok... I'm sure it will sell quick at that price http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alkimos/cars-vans-utes/1986-porsche-911-coupe/1107212734

This certainly is an interesting proposition. Assume it is a LHD convert at that price but either way, certainly a good $15-$20k to what they have been selling for.

This certainly is an interesting proposition. Assume it is a LHD convert at that price but either way, certainly a good $15-$20k to what they have been selling for.

Its a RHD UK car, if it has no rust & runs ok it's a good price i think

Looks like a pommie car… the red piping and the normal bumpers…..just a guess

Bargain… Just buy it , cheap car at that price..

I wonder if the price will come down…going to have to for it to ever get in my garage ..maybe need a GFC even ..

Not really, I've just clocked over 10k in my 997 GT2 and I know of another 2 that have 12 and 15 on them, one's an import though but sold recently for very high 400s.  

It has a 300 kmh speedo in it .... it is from a 930.

Quite a rare speedo, quite valuable also, but definitely been swapped with the original if it is a UK car ....

makes sense in a metric world. Though wasn't it  a requirement for rego in some states for km/h speedos?