Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

If it's any consolation, I too would have walked away ....

The "books" thing rings alarm bells for me .... anyone with such a collectors car would guard them with their life knowing how it would affect not only the value, but the history needed to show said services. Is it possible it hasn't been serviced for the past 7 - 10, or even more years?

The finance thing is sounds too complicated not knowing who even owns the car .... I know exactly which cars I own as does almost car owner in the country ....

Bullet dodged me thinks ....

^^ run don't walk!  Wow what a mess. 

an expensive car with low kms just doesn't have a complicated story.  Someone bought it and cherished it and knows every thing got hat ever happened and only drives it on special occasions.  It does not have missing books and obscure owners and stuck in a factory where it can't be taken out of.  The end.

cars with mystery meat ownership and history are sold by people with shady stories are never low mileage pristine examples.  The end.

Which is why I am trying not to advertise the 912 on any sales websites. I just can't deal with lowballers or morons (same thing really).

There is no honour anymore, and for someone like me that will be 300% honest with a potential buyer regarding it's condition, or the asking price, it tars everyone selling a car with the same brush.

If someone rolled up with a deposit in hand and prepared to pay the advertised asking price, it would be a pretty shitty thing to do to the buyer to say I had been offered more over the phone, so cough up some extra cash! Thats my opinion anyway

re 996t s  owner Qld car in Melb story. I have zero connection. 

who wants to compare the difference in personality traits (particularly risk tolerance ) between lets say the first buyer of a P car and the 3rd 4th or 5th owner in order to be reminded of why maybe sale negotiations   go astray according to one side? Guys that can afford a new or near new or genuine rare classic don't in my experience over fuss and over analyse (even analytical medical types just go and buy the bloody car )  may drive a hard deal and often have complicated circumstances but they don't have the time or inclination to stuff around with detail that often is banged on about on enthusiast forums, for they may not actually be true enthusiasts (exception rare old classic) . When you have an entreprenial type dealing with a technical type expect some friction, generally the entrep will better adapt to the situation than the technician who rigidly runs on safe railway lines.

No one is right or wrong or better or worse just a transaction that creates a forum for a collision of differences and turbo that if it is a sellers market.

Regarding your middle 2 paragraphs Tony, I have to correct you on a few things. Re the Turbo S with the Boxster Red interior...Your "facts" and "forensic googling" and "price surmises" are incorrect. My friend brought the car. The car went on car sales at $137,500  and was taken off a day or 2 later -correct.
You mention "Track Times" and "Over revs count figures"....That's incorrect, and an extensive PPI from Melbourne proved that and no tracking. He paid well north of $160,000 but under $200,000 and it took him a month of patiently chasing and backing off with an owner who has plenty of $$$$ and numerous Porsches and was extremely busy with business to pin down to actually see the car, and who didn't seem too fussed when it would be sold. The owner who was selling it lives in QLD and works in Melbourne, back n forth on and off, and the car was in Melbourne. In conversation with the owner the price grew to $160,000 at the 2nd week ....Took him 3 weeks to actually get the first bit of evidence that the car actually even existed ....a photo of the Sticker in the books, and a photo of the windscreen VIN, along with a price rise again....and then a week later when he actually got to see the car and a test drive with it the price had risen again and he negotiated, walked away, another phonecall and discussion of details an hour later and he brought it. Anyways, hope the 996TT you were chasing, you PM'd me about, is as it was supposed to be now that you've seen it, and it's in your garage...

Great news to hear you are now in the market and able to actively chase.  Very well played on that. 996 TT S and I enjoyed the longish post (off car sales does not mean sold and / or may be recycled and popup again.   Any thoughts on looking at a 997 tt.   I have a 996 TT collecting dust in my garage, haven't seen it yet  and counting the days down before I get to see it and drive it

In relation to paragraph 2, yes you have the actual mail on the pricing and based on your posts have your view on what they are worth and have essentially put your money on the table accordingly.  I didn't get past go and its hard to get data on actual transacted pricing.  In relation to tracking, I may have got that wrong, BUT a Chris X (surname withheld) currently sits at 80th place (1.25ish) on Queensland raceway time attack hall of fame in a 911 TTS on the national track and other times on other circuits.  A Chris X is selling a Queensland 996 TTS car in Melbourne and the reason for selling is disclosed  as upgrading to a 996 GT3.  After a 996 TT S is taken car off car sales, shortly thereafter, a Chris X does a 1.20 ish in a 911 GT3 RS.  The records reflect a 911 TTS and 911 GT3 RS and does not state 996 (someone owning two 996 TT S's or two different 911 TT S's with one doing time attacks did not cross my mind). 

In relation to overevs in a PPI, I laughed at mine when it came through with nothing (I had sighted a video on 6 speedonline where a female buyer talked about huge numbers on overrevs on her PPI and tried to explain some of it when her car was being reviewed in a canyon drive in Malibu.  I can't  believe on my car, with 60k plus on the odometer, the previous owners never recorded an over rev event.  (I assumed they can be reset either via durametric software  or porsche workshop if well connected).

I have a view, but one for the guru's, if you had a 996 TTS with PCCB's and 22k on the odometer,  and if the tyres were replaced for the sale, could a PPI inspection defintely say it has not seen a track and if so, what are the tell tale signs to be able tell its seen the track a few times for a low km car that is well maintained

Edited by smit2100

^^ if you have to look that hard to figure out if it has been on track or not, it's a moot point.  Driving a car on track a few times in its life is a very different thing from regular hard track driving which would be clearly evident via stone chips, brakes, suspension components and probably modifications to improve track ability.  The idea that if you track a car once or twice it is forever ruined or worth substantially less is bizarre.  I've seen plenty of cars that have done the odd track day that are better maintained and in better condition than a road only car.  Buy on condition.

Which is why I am trying not to advertise the 912 on any sales websites. I just can't deal with lowballers or morons (same thing really).

There is no honour anymore, and for someone like me that will be 300% honest with a potential buyer regarding it's condition, or the asking price, it tars everyone selling a car with the same brush.

If someone rolled up with a deposit in hand and prepared to pay the advertised asking price, it would be a pretty shitty thing to do to the buyer to say I had been offered more over the phone, so cough up some extra cash! Thats my opinion anyway

A man of honour Lee! I don't know if I could stomach the tactics of advertising low and then dodging and weaving the price up with the punters stuffing them around re inspections, stories, scenarios, deposits, refunds, abuse and discomfort on all sides to achieve the highest price. I think I would do the tried and true method of starting a bit higher and coming down.

Scenario - A $150,000 collector sought after vehicle - 

In a total sellers market, car is listed at $130,000 and the seller plays the entire hold out game and plays buyer against buyer whose money and circumstances are similar and gets $160,000. In a total buyers market, car is listed at $170,000 and the buyer plays the entire hold out game and plays seller against seller whose cars and circumstances are similar and pays $140,000. In a neutral market car is listed at $165,000 and the buyer offers $145,000, seller says $155,000, buyer says $150,000 - sold 150 to 155 .... sorta all the same result overall really

Great news to hear you are now in the market and able to actively chase.  Very well played on that. 996 TT S and I enjoyed the longish post (off car sales does not mean sold and / or may be recycled and popup again.   Any thoughts on looking at a 997 tt.   I have a 996 TT collecting dust in my garage, haven't seen it yet  and counting the days down before I get to see it and drive it

In relation to paragraph 2, yes you have the actual mail on the pricing and based on your posts have your view on what they are worth and have essentially put your money on the table accordingly.  I didn't get past go and its hard to get data on actual transacted pricing.  In relation to tracking, I may have got that wrong, BUT a Chris X (surname withheld) currently sits at 80th place (1.25ish) on Queensland raceway time attack hall of fame in a 911 TTS on the national track and other times on other circuits.  A Chris X is selling a Queensland 996 TTS car in Melbourne and the reason for selling is disclosed  as upgrading to a 996 GT3.  After a 996 TT S is taken car off car sales, shortly thereafter, a Chris X does a 1.20 ish in a 911 GT3 RS.  The records reflect a 911 TTS and 911 GT3 RS and does not state 996 (someone owning two 996 TT S's or two different 911 TT S's with one doing time attacks did not cross my mind). 

In relation to overevs in a PPI, I laughed at mine when it came through with nothing (I had sighted a video on 6 speedonline where a female buyer talked about huge numbers on overrevs on her PPI and tried to explain some of it when her car was being reviewed in a canyon drive in Malibu.  I can't  believe on my car, with 60k plus on the odometer, the previous owners never recorded an over rev event.  (I assumed they can be reset either via durametric software  or porsche workshop if well connected).

I have a view, but one for the guru's, if you had a 996 TTS with PCCB's and 22k on the odometer,  and if the tyres were replaced for the sale, could a PPI inspection defintely say it has not seen a track and if so, what are the tell tale signs to be able tell its seen the track a few times for a low km car that is well maintained

Smit, you must just be hanging to see your new prize, let alone drive the thing! And then the fun of hotting it up - must feel like a little kid a week before Xmas. Maybe the 911TT S recorded was a 993TT S or a 997.2TT S or a 991TT S. Tyres replaced around 20ks would be normal, you'd get around 10ks out of a rear set and 20 ks out of a front set I'd think. I also think that any well experienced Pcar technician worth his salt could tell if an excellently presented car had been "raced" say 50? 100? laps. Some guys in a beautiful condition car that has seen a track 10 times don't necessarily push it either, and they basically are race cars and are built to withstand a bit of a mechanical hiding, so tracking a bit as DJM says, is no big deal. Anyway let's see a photo of your new silver toy....

A man of honour Lee! I don't know if I could stomach the tactics of advertising low and then dodging and weaving the price up with the punters stuffing them around re inspections, stories, scenarios, deposits, refunds, abuse and discomfort on all sides to achieve the highest price. I think I would do the tried and true method of starting a bit higher and coming down.

Fair point

Maybe I should list my car at $140k, then wait for the flood of inquiries, instead of pricing it at a reasonable and more attractive price to attract more buyers!

Not a fan of selling cars

^^ if you have to look that hard to figure out if it has been on track or not, it's a moot point.  Driving a car on track a few times in its life is a very different thing from regular hard track driving which would be clearly evident via stone chips, brakes, suspension components and probably modifications to improve track ability.  The idea that if you track a car once or twice it is forever ruined or worth substantially less is bizarre.  I've seen plenty of cars that have done the odd track day that are better maintained and in better condition than a road only car.  Buy on condition.

Agree 100%.  Track cars are largely better maintained than those that just live on the street.

I've tracked my Turbo for fun, never super sprinted it or the like and its perfect.  It also has an oil and fluid change after each run.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3119982

cp5075865015435368417.jpg?aspect=centere

I know it's a Targa & I know it's a Tip...but I like!!  Has been at this price on Carsales for at least 2 years.  

Yep just keep the roof shut and buy yourself one of those cheap baby stick on window shades and it  makes it a cheap car 

I know of a 996TT that I reckon is available for 80-90k import… The real world….    the sellers ringing me ...

I cant recall does shit float or drop to the bottom of the bowl.. I seem to get varied results, im guessing it just fluctuates like my diet.

Im not quite sure what we are looking at in this current market . a little like the carsales, carpoint market ,  a lot of the hot cars of the last two months are still sitting ..in the bowl

So much doom and mistrust. Must be TRUMP ...

sold my 997tt to a lovely guy who was soon to inherit. Said it was his mothers dying wish that he get himself a turbo. 

A bit of sentimental positivity to take us into Saturday night?

If that doesn't do it for you picture Hughesy and Edgy driving their new purchases, as we speak, back from Melbourne (996c4s/997gt3).

smiling now??

was a great trip too. Only got pulled over by coppers once. 

To be honest , the buying experience I had was nothing short of perfect. Seller was a champion enthusiast, wanting his car to go to a good home. We chatted on phone a few times cementing the deal, it was seamless. Seller then had car delivered to cairns for the IMS upgrade. 

I am smiling. 

Cairns were fantastic. Toby and zig were great 

thumbs up lads. 

Edited by Hughesy
spelling

CTS regrets  

a year ago they were selling them for $200k...

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-12505707&Cr=2

It will be interesting to see if they get near that price ....

There are a number of them for sale at the moment for quite a bit less that have been sitting for weeks / months ....

There are a number of thA em for sale at the moment for quite a bit less that have been sitting for weeks / months ....

At that money ..really starts to get you thinking 997 RS or 993 Turbo ;)

There are a number of them for sale at the moment for quite a bit less that have been sitting for weeks / months ....

if anyone can they can. Unlike their sister company Duttons, CTS seem to be able to move cars along relatively quickly. That said, when they are unsure of themselves they do tend to turn to carsales as a last resort ;) 

could have bought a black on black 993t with 50,000kms for $220k there last February. It did seem like a good deal at the time, but then three months prior to that you could have picked up one for $150k...