What's for sale (Internationally) that's interesting Thread

8 hours ago, on_booost said:

^^^^^

F$CK Yeah!!! That look like about the most func you could have with your pants on!!!!!

FLAT at the Oval @160MPH = MASSIVE MASSIVE B@lls!!

And the Deman engine just sounds the BEST!!

Wow sounds like a weapon

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out of the Porsche hunting game for the past 4-5 years, but having now got the kid and the house, I'm ready to continue my journey in achieving my dreams of Porsche ownership, with again my aim to get one before 2027.

Doing some quick maths I'm seeing some early 996.1 options around the 23,000 gbp mark give or take, so let's say I can get agreement at 21k:

£21000 car = $40,000 approx

$500 PPI, $4000 GST, $2000 stamp duty, $3500 shipping, $2000 compliance, $1000 broker, $900 registration and transfer

All up $53,900 AUD and that gets you in typically a manual C2 with around 120,000 km and well maintained with decent history.

Assuming a 20% discount to the Aussie market the car should be comparable to something you could buy here for about $65,000 driveway which doesn't seem like too many options. I feel like comparable cars are pushing 75k to 85k AUD and I doubt they'd bargain down 15k. Other than all the effort and hassle is there anything I'm missing? Rust would be a concern with UK imports and I'm not sure if you need an instrument cluster change or not but I think being able to get one an extra year or more earlier and reach the dream could be well worth it.

What might help too is that my wife has lots of extended family in the UK, where I might be able to store a car a half year etc if necessary to hit that 25 year mark... maybe even go big and buy and store something like a 996 Turbo (say £35,000) for a year or two?

Sounds good @CoSo, yet the old 'what if' always pops up in my head when it comes to people asking about buying from the UK, and you end up with a rust ridden heap of s..t? What's that going to cost you in the long run? 

I hate to be the negative Nigel here, yet it's happened many times before and it will happen again to unsuspecting buyers who end up with a money pit they'll lose a lot of money on,  though if you have a reputable shop inspect a car in the UK, then you'd be right, yet is it really worth the potential headaches to save a few grand by not buying local? 

Yeah you may have a budget to stick to, yet re my comment above, you may need to add a lot more if it does arrive and it's a shed! 

21 hours ago, LeeM said:

Sounds good @CoSo, yet the old 'what if' always pops up in my head when it comes to people asking about buying from the UK, and you end up with a rust ridden heap of s..t? What's that going to cost you in the long run? 

I hate to be the negative Nigel here, yet it's happened many times before and it will happen again to unsuspecting buyers who end up with a money pit they'll lose a lot of money on,  though if you have a reputable shop inspect a car in the UK, then you'd be right, yet is it really worth the potential headaches to save a few grand by not buying local? 

Yeah you may have a budget to stick to, yet re my comment above, you may need to add a lot more if it does arrive and it's a shed! 

Yeah All well and good but if you found the car you want, you can fly over and check it out for a couple of k, So you would know what you are spending your dough on.

5 minutes ago, tomo said:

Yeah All well and good but if you found the car you want, you can fly over and check it out for a couple of k, So you would know what you are spending your dough on.

Well there's also that I s'pose 😅

What if it's a shitter? 🤔 If people have the means to buy a ticket and take the time off, then fair enough, but I think for the sake of a few grand to have peace of mind, buying local would be a better idea. 

Let's not forget he's looking at buying 2 or 3 years down the track, so what will they be worth then? 

Although I could fly over, I'd probably just rely on a combination of PPI and extended family member and/or signing up to Porsche Club UK and seeing if a local member could take a look (or even source one from a member).

It probably only makes sense where there's a good price differential between a UK car and a local one, which seems to apply to 996 and later generations. Less so on the pre 996 classics where there seems a lot more price parity between UK and AU pricing.

It's certainly risky no doubt. Be interesting to see how AU pricing trends relatively to ROW over the next few years.