Sell the SC for a 997 S?

Greg 2

Hi All,
        I can see a lot of SCs hitting carsales now for 90-100k+. Not sure what they are actually selling for.

Got me thinking I could change over my '83 and get into a 997 S manual coupe perhaps and just about break even? 997 would become a daily driver!

Anyone else contemplating the same or should I give myself an uppercut for thinking such a thing?

thanks

Greg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to to sell and go for a 997,s ,,,,make sure it has The sports  chrono option fitted ,it does make a difference and sharpens the 997,s up ,,,Chassis , steering , engine response etc ,,a must have option that changes the cars personality at a press of a button ...

Depends what you really want in a car mate

I've often thought of selling my SC import, though I'd have to aim lower with a 996 or a Cayman S. 

I could have done with some comfort/air cond yesterday, as I took the missus for a fang, yet it was 35 degrees and it was bloody hot in the car, but the look, sound and smell of the old pig made me think there's no way I could sell it.

A more modern Porsche is a great car no doubt, though weigh up what you love and hate about the SC, then see if a 997 would make you happy. My personal opinion on 996/997/Caymans etc is that they do everything very well, comfortable, air conditioned, go like the clappers etc, yet to me they lack a bit of soul (I'm talking stock cars here, not GT3's etc) 

I would imagine an SC would be a pain I the bot bot as a daily, as I can't stand driving mine in traffic, yet a 997 would be a peach. Again, it depends what you want in a car. Classic or plastic? ( no offence to those who own them) 

Some SC sellers are ASKING big bucks, yet it remains to be seen as to whether most are selling for 997 money. See of you can take one for a spin if you haven't already, then weigh it all up

For a daily, the 997 wins hands down!

As it has been said, why did you buy the SC in the first place? Does it still make you feel the same - if not more?

Have no fear, you will have the same sensations and feelings in the 997 (especially if you go the chrono - love that button!)

Old school where everyone turns to have a look or new school where you blend into the crowd......decisions, decisions.....

I think this is a question only YOU as the owner can answer! Everyones needs and requirements are different to the next guys. 

997's are easy to live with on a daily basis, but I think when you drive a car day in, day out, you cannot help but lose some of that "glow"... Personally I drive a 2003 Corolla or ride a BMX every day.

Every time I get in one of the Porsches, its an event and I like it that way. Plus I cannot stand the thought of having to park amongst idiots that will swing doors open on your pride and joy. :( Risk mitigation if you will?

It's really a good first world problem to have though isn't it? :lol: 

I agree totally with you Lee the new cars are too good and lack the charm and soul of the air cooled 911,s ,,,,,I ultimately want both because they are so different ,,the new can not offer what the old can and like wise ,,,big technology gap as you would expect ,the older cars are small ,,,move around more and are just good old fashion fun ,,you don,t even notice the weight in the rear on a new 911 at normal speeds,,,to achieve that sensation in a 997 you are going to loss your licence for 10 years and have the law makers crushing the car for your efforts ...the grip and performance levels are very high in a 997 and you have to be careful when you get on the loud pedal 200kph plus is a breeze in one even on poor Australia back roads they are designed to go very fast and be driven very fast with relative ease  ...

I think this is a question only YOU as the owner can answer! Everyones needs and requirements are different to the next guys. 

997's are easy to live with on a daily basis, but I think when you drive a car day in, day out, you cannot help but lose some of that "glow"... Personally I drive a 2003 Corolla or ride a BMX every day.

Every time I get in one of the Porsches, its an event and I like it that way. Plus I cannot stand the thought of having to park amongst idiots that will swing doors open on your pride and joy. :( Risk mitigation if you will?

I drove my SC as a daily for the first 3 years.  It lost the "special" feeling through driving it every day.  I'd love a 997 but for all the reasons above I'm sticking with my antique weekend ride.

It is funny in life how we always crave what we don,t have I miss and want to experience the joys and sensations of the earlier cars ,,,, but at the same time still don,t want to give away the benefits of the latter cars ...Its a cruel world we live in when you can,t have both ,,,this is my first world problem :P:P:D

A Mercedes ML is my "daily", I work from home so that term is loosely used.... my 928 is my fun/ weekend car.

I find that I drive the 928 much more than the ML and I find excuses to drive it every day, it is just old enough to have that special feel but is also quite modern, plus I don't drive in traffic. Hmmm, not really much help am I :P.

Keep your SC and buy a 928! Or something equally as inexpensive......

I drove my SC as a daily for the first 3 years.  It lost the "special" feeling through driving it every day.  I'd love a 997 but for all the reasons above I'm sticking with my antique weekend ride.

Same here , though I have 6 old rides to rotate now! Every single trip is fun,  but I suppose I'm easily satisfied.

If you can get silly money for the SC, take and and taste something else.  I've got the luxury of both and there no chance I'd use the 70's cars regularly. Love the ride, noise smell etc etc but boy do I like getting back into air conditioned PDK comfort. "Character" doesn't do daily driver.  If you want more "soul' in your 997, drop the ride height, buy a nastier sounding exhaust and drive the knackers off it. 

'Otherwise I can't argue with any of the comments made above. 

You'll always want what you don't have. I have a 4S because I couldn't afford the 993 I wanted. Now I have the 4S I would love an outlaw or 930 wide body. If you have the means go both. If you don't then switch around and try some different P cars, a lot of the guys I have met seem to have had more P cars than I have had hot dinners 

So, being one of the guys on PFA that has owned both an SC and a 997 (albeit a 997.2) I'll share my thoughts. The 997 is probably as close to the perfect sports car as I could imagine. It will string a set of corners together and offer ample performance for most of us, while taking everything you ask of it in it's stride. It is probably the most usable/affordable of the modern P-cars and it is still a damn fine looking thing too. Especially the .2 (but I'm biased). Feedback and tactility in the 997 still has links to 911's of the past and yet you will have most of the modern conveniences people look for in a 'newish' car. I'm sure some of the rarer and well looked after models are destined for 'future classic' status. They really blend modern car features with links to the past when 911's were raw and honest driving machines. In short, a great everyday option for someone looking for modern touches and an updated presence on the road, but some of the older 911 driving characteristics. These were the considerations I made when deciding between a 997 and a 991. I like to think I made the right decision.

Over to the SC then... well it's been nearly 7 years since I owned my '78 SC and I think about it nearly every day!!! No other car I've owned (30+ cars and counting) has had that effect on me. I can still remember the smell of leather and fuel as you open the door. Sliding into the optional turbo bucket seat and staring through the steering wheel to 'those' gauges may still be the most evocative view in all of Porsche ownership. Gearlever falling nicely to hand. Even the 'ground from solid stone' feel as the starter motor engages the crank sits there in my mind. It's a beautifully intimate experience too... almost shoulder to shoulder with your passenger, sharing that fantastic view through the 'not so far away' windscreen out past the front guards, bum nearly on the ground. Out on the road, air-cooled 911's are just, well... special. Non-Porsche people look and think... "Wow that's nice". Porsche-o-philes just stare and reminisce about how they should have laid down their hard-earned a decade ago when they had the chance. It's a rare and honoured experience indeed.

A tough choice, no doubt, for someone wondering what lies on the other side of the fence. My advice is, think long and hard about what experience you need from your 911 when you get behind the wheel. Is it performance, lap times, SatNav, SportChrono and cruise control... or that feeling of being part of the history that made Porsches so sought after in the first place? They are very different driving and ownership experiences.

They only saving grace I can offer is that there really isn't a 'bad' 911, so whatever you choose will be amazing.

Decisions, decisions...FMBC8955_zpsns9ffsnp.jpg

Haven't driven either so my comments are general in nature.  my view is NO!

I've tried several times to find a fast road car, daily driver that i can do a handful of track days in.  But inevitably they are too soft and under braked for the track.  If you fix that then they become too uncomfortable for the road.  

I know you're not talking track driving but my point is every car has a narrow band of what they do well. I've now settled for an SUV for DD and a separate stupidly fast track car.  Boringly capable during the week and adrenaline central on weekends.  Keeps me sensible on the road too.

To me an SC is great for a weekend/occasional car.  Shit DD.  A 997 would be a great DD and while fast and fun, would not match SC for that weekend drive feeling.  

I like edgy's approach, Corolla and pushbike for DD.  Porsche for occasional fun.

DO IT -- 997 and I dont even have  a watercooled car…

But I do have a many axes for diffrent occasions to take DJM's point onboard.. and not a Corolla but a 4WD oil burner for DD in-between like Edgy

Haven't driven either so my comments are general in nature.  my view is NO!

I've tried several times to find a fast road car, daily driver that i can do a handful of track days in.  But inevitably they are too soft and under braked for the track.  If you fix that then they become too uncomfortable for the road.  

I know you're not talking track driving but my point is every car has a narrow band of what they do well. I've now settled for an SUV for DD and a separate stupidly fast track car.  Boringly capable during the week and adrenaline central on weekends.  Keeps me sensible on the road too.

To me an SC is great for a weekend/occasional car.  Shit DD.  A 997 would be a great DD and while fast and fun, would not match SC for that weekend drive feeling.  

I like edgy's approach, Corolla and pushbike for DD.  Porsche for occasional fun.

Re: Settled for a SUV for a DD.  But not all SUV's are a like.   My next door neighbours stock daily SUV is louder than my TT at idle, would blow away the SC in a drag and probably the 997 as well.  Once a boost junky always a boost junky.  Did you land a macan turbo?.  

On the theme of boost junkies, I  don't think you tried hard enough to find a fast road car, even if you needed a fifth door.  Not a P car, but I reckon it can handle the odd track day ok, and could hold its own on any straight with the best of them.  I would love to off load the Mrs's SUV, and trade up to that, but I reckon I wouldn't  get past go as the interior is a tough sell.   I rate MRC highly as well when it comes to messing around with boosted 4 ring variants.

Re: SC vs 997, stick with the SC.  If you want something more modern save pennies and go buy a BMW e46 m3 manual for under 30k (not too far off new corolla pricing) as your daily and the SC for week end duties

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-RS6-2008/SSE-AD-4195931/?Cr=2

What old school BMX are you riding.  Was always a bit partial to SE racing variants.  (Quadangles first and PK rippers second and cruisers third).  Just like SC's they have had a bit of a run of late.  Not much change out of 4k for your run of the mill PK ripper.

Archived