981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

42 minutes ago, 7smurfs said:

Really? I'm not seeing it in my search - lowest price manual Cayman is 140k 

Can you shoot me the link please :)

Here you go @7smurfs, it is a Boxster though...

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/OAG-AD-16321130/?Cr=6

If it wasn't in WA we'd be tempted, as wife prefers manual, but I reckon I'd be a PDK convert.  Much nicer to use than the Tip in my 996.2.....

I don't believe that manuals command a premium, although you could say that they do given that PDK was a $7K option and both ask about the same price now.  Maybe in years to come when the cars become cheaper they might to the enthusiast driver.  My GTS was as hard to sell as a PDK IMO.

It is a bit like 991 GT3s (which I am chasing), clubsports are hard to find when near new as most are comfort spec, yet as they age clubsports are more in demand.  New car buyers seem to differ from used car buyers years down the line.

2 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I don't believe that manuals command a premium, although you could say that they do given that PDK was a $7K option and both ask about the same price now.  Maybe in years to come when the cars become cheaper they might to the enthusiast driver.  My GTS was as hard to sell as a PDK IMO.

It is a bit like 991 GT3s (which I am chasing), clubsports are hard to find when near new as most are comfort spec, yet as they age clubsports are more in demand.  New car buyers seem to differ from used car buyers years down the line.

I think there will be significantly less difference in value between PDK and manuals in 981 / 991 than there is in 996 manual / Tip.  Clearly there is a performance and drivability differential  between manual and Tiptronic, whereas there is probably a performance differential in PDK's favour in the later cars.  Certainly manuals command a $5 - $10k premium in 996's but I certainly suspect not in 981 / 991 now and into the future, and that any price differential will come down to condition and specs / options

13 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I think there will be significantly less difference in value between PDK and manuals in 981 / 991 than there is in 996 manual / Tip.  Clearly there is a performance and drivability differential  between manual and Tiptronic, whereas there is probably a performance differential in PDK's favour in the later cars.  Certainly manuals command a $5 - $10k premium in 996's but I certainly suspect not in 981 / 991 now and into the future, and that any price differential will come down to condition and specs / options

I agree, but as I was talking about the 981.

I've got a pristine 987.2  2011 Manual Cayman in Basalt. 42,000 km. Has Porsche Factory warranty for another 12 months. N Spec tyres etc etc. 

Thinking of putting it on the market. Can anyone give me some advice on what $ I could expect for it.

On 11/09/2018 at 19:15, NBTBRV8 said:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this, or has it been on the market for a while?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2013/SSE-AD-5654876/?Cr=0

It went online yesterday I believe ? 

On 06/09/2018 at 10:22, Oldknees said:

I've got a pristine 987.2  2011 Manual Cayman in Basalt. 42,000 km. Has Porsche Factory warranty for another 12 months. N Spec tyres etc etc. 

Thinking of putting it on the market. Can anyone give me some advice on what $ I could expect for it.

This year I've seen these advertised between $70k - $80k, similar year and kms. Most were auto. 

Just catching up on this thread, I owe some of you guys some PMs! My apologies for the slow reply. I have been busy with my new non-P car this year.

Looking to get some insight - is 60,000kms on a 981 base cayman considered very high and something to be concerned about?

I would, of course, be extending the warranty to ensure that no major costs will arise.
However, I am currently juggling whether to pay $75-80k for a high km (60,000) 981 or $85-90k for a low km (30,000) 981.

At this side of the market it gets really hard... as it is becomes a 15k extra spend for each iteration:
base high km > base low km > 981 S

My intention with going base model is that I am wishing to turn my 981 into a daily workhorse with ~400km trips per week.
And I do not wish to be scared of driving it!

Thanks!!

24 minutes ago, 7smurfs said:

Looking to get some insight - is 60,000kms on a 981 base cayman considered very high and something to be concerned about?

I would, of course, be extending the warranty to ensure that no major costs will arise.
However, I am currently juggling whether to pay $75-80k for a high km (60,000) 981 or $85-90k for a low km (30,000) 981.

At this side of the market it gets really hard... as it is becomes a 15k extra spend for each iteration:

My intention with going base model is that I am wishing to turn my 981 into a daily workhorse with ~400km trips per week.

Thanks!!

I wouldn’t be concerned buying a 60,000km car under warranty. If you are driving it 400km’s a week you are going to be clocking up 21,000 km’s a year so whether you buy a 30,000km or 60,000km car it’s going to be a ‘high mileage’ car in no time and since you are getting the warranty I’d just buy the higher mileage one and keep the warranty up since it lasts until 200,000km’s.

Just so you know the sweet spot for max km’s and the same servicing as a garage queen is 15,000km’s a year since you need to do the annual oil change every year/15,000km’s, Intermediate every 2 years/30,000km’s and major every 4 years 60,000km’s.

Also I’d buy the S as the price difference is minimal and in my opinion the fun factor is amplified, if you are thinking to buy the base make sure you at least take a test drive in an S to make sure you don’t regret it later.

hey @7smurfs I can't really help with the kms question - but I recently bought the 981S Boxster with advice from this forum

I have not driven a base model but I do know that I can turn off my Sports mode and exhaust if I want a more gentle driving experience.
If you buy the base model you can't really turn it up if that makes sense?

I'm sure it is still a great vehicle but for a few extra dollars you will get something next level with the 'S' and a few options.

Then it just comes down to how often you want to use that little bit extra...which will be always ;) 

1 hour ago, 7smurfs said:

Thanks!!

It's a dilemma, although there's few very low km Caymans for less than 85k on carsales currently. Not much is selling though, seen a few ads put on hold not sold.

I'd love an S also but paying northside of $100k puts me squarely into basically new 718 Cayman territory. There are a few Boxster and Boxster S bargains currently but hearts set on Cayman.

Thanks for all the replies @rego @Trentw @Daz7

I do believe the sports mode/exhaust is only applicable with buying one with PSE in terms of sound as they come with an exhaust flap.
If I purchase the one without PSE I'd be ordering a Borla exhaust on so I do not mind the not so gentle driving experience :)

Personally, I'm only going for the base model so that I don't feel so bad driving it around a lot (depreciation terms)! It's just something in my own mindset.

In terms of power/handling, I currently own a 300rwkw BMW and a track-oriented S2000 - so you could say they are extremes of both and I see the cayman as the comfortable inbetweener / perfect daily!

I have test driven my friend's Cayman S manual a handful of times and it was amazing! However yet to test a base + PDK (i've given up my search for a manual!)

2 hours ago, 7smurfs said:

Thanks!!

I'd find an S that's been sitting a while for sale with high (60 /80 etc) ks and pay the discounted price for "high" ks and a hard to sell car accordingly.... S is the go! In no time you'll have added 50ks .... thoroughly enjoyable ks! If PDK find one with sports...

S and non S will depreciate the same percentage imo...

6 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

I'd find an S that's been sitting a while for sale with high (60 /80 etc) ks and pay the discounted price for "high" ks and a hard to sell car accordingly.... S is the go! In no time you'll have added 50ks .... thoroughly enjoyable ks! If PDK find one with sports...

S and non S will depreciate the same percentage imo...

Yep, my non-negotiables assuming i'm getting PDK are 

- Sports chrono 
- Sports steering wheel (i want the flaps!)

Would like to have...

- Manual (will settle for PDK)
- PSE (will change to aftermarket if not)

On 9/18/2018 at 4:20 PM, 7smurfs said:

Yep, my non-negotiables assuming i'm getting PDK are 

- Sports chrono 
- Sports steering wheel (i want the flaps!)

Would like to have...

- Manual (will settle for PDK)
- PSE (will change to aftermarket if not)

Just remember if you want to extend the warranty (which you said you did) you can't go with an aftermarket exhaust.

If you buy from a dealer try to negotiate to have the dealer include it into the sale as part of the deal as it's expensive to retrofit a genuine PSE.

21 minutes ago, rego said:

Just remember if you want to extend the warranty (which you said you did) you can't go with an aftermarket exhaust.

If you buy from a dealer try to negotiate to have the dealer include it into the sale as part of the deal as it's expensive to retrofit a genuine PSE.

Oh no! Did not know an aftermarket exhaust would void the warranty!

That is concerning to hear... do you know the ballpark figure to retrofit a PSE?

10 minutes ago, 7smurfs said:

Oh no! Did not know an aftermarket exhaust would void the warranty!

That is concerning to hear... do you know the ballpark figure to retrofit a PSE?

Approx. $6,000 fitted is what I was quoted from my dealer as well as anouther I called.

I called Autohaus for an alternative quote from a non-dealer but they never got back to me.

7 minutes ago, rego said:

Approx. $6,000 fitted is what I was quoted from my dealer as well as anouther I called.

I called Autohaus for an alternative quote from a non-dealer but they never got back to me.

I see.. thanks for that! While at it, any idea how much it would be for the performance steering wheel? :)

7 minutes ago, 7smurfs said:

I see.. thanks for that! While at it, any idea how much it would be for the performance steering wheel? :)

This company sell the steering wheel for $1.1k USD https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991SD.html

What you need is to add an extra stalk to control the multifunction display along with the wheel/paddles.

My car had it retrofitted by the previous owner for what I was told from the sales guy when I brought the car was approx. 3k but that was a claim by a sales guy..

2 minutes ago, rego said:

Thid company selld the steering wheel for $1.1k USD https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991SD.html

What you need is to add an extra stalk to control the multifunction display along with the wheel/paddles.

My car had it retrofitted by the previous owner for what I was told from the sales guy when I brought the car was approx. 3k but that was a claim by a sales guy..

Thanks, @rego, so it seems the ruling is as long as it's OEM and installed by Porsche it won't avoid warranty? 

Nevertheless, I'll be sure to give Porsche a call tomorrow to confirm!

1 hour ago, 7smurfs said:

Thanks, @rego, so it seems the ruling is as long as it's OEM and installed by Porsche it won't avoid warranty? 

Nevertheless, I'll be sure to give Porsche a call tomorrow to confirm!

I don't know if it has to be installed by them but they say the car needs to have 100% factory parts to get a warranty extension.

Okay confirmed the following:

PSE = $6k fitted 

Sports Steering = $2.5k fitted

If you purchase parts with a Porsche model number from overseas and get it fitted, it will not void warranty.
Aftermarket exhaust will not void warranty entirely but is treated case by case i.e. if the exhaust caused engine failure 
You cannot extend your warranty once the aftermarket part is installed, however. Soo.... loophole would be to extend it first and then buy the aftermarket exhaust.

One addition (not 100% sure as I didn’t do it but based on when asked Porsche) that price for the sports wheel seems like the “worst case”. It’s less if you already have a wheel with a “round airbag” setup in your car. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, NBTBRV8 said:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this, or has it been on the market for a while?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2013/SSE-AD-5654876/?Cr=0

I was lucky enough to snap this example up very, very quickly. I'm loving it and have just made an introduction thread about it here !

DSCF5842-NO-PLATE.jpg