Power - kWh per day

So for the first time in a long time I've paid a power bill and got total bill shock. My last power bill was insane. I'm installing a massive solar jobby to offset it but I was wondering:

How much power a day do you guys use?

Don't need any $ figures, just kWh / day. I'm interested to see how we all compare. I think my bill is at the extreme end of things though.

haha just remember you're saving the planet buying all that expensive and unreliable power!  And the worst is yet to come because more power stations are going offline and the hard greens clap and cheer every time one is turned to dust with explosives.

I was tipping the scales in summer at about 56 kwh per day.  12 kw ducted AC, elec hot water, stove and pool pump, plus beverage chilling.  

I am in Sydney also my daily usage is 31 kwh for last bill,,,,,we have a new home and all the modern energy efficient appliances and lighting etc ,,,I didn,t do solar panels at the time of the build as I believe they will get better and cheaper in time ,,,and my bills are reasonable at the moment ...

My neighbor just installed a large solar system that took his bill from $1200 a quarter down to $300 ,,,,,,he does have a pool and spa ,,they use a lot of power ..

22kw per day, pool, domestic water pump, dam water pump, 4 bed plus house, 3 residents, no gas, all electric. Solar is coming though, had a 5.4kw system on the last house & didn't pay a bill from the time it was installed, this was under the old 60c/kwh buy back scheme & I averaged $2K p.a. in rebates, house with pool & 4 adults.

Our last bill was approx 13 kwh per day.  Previous year was <12, and the past 7+ years it's been about the same (10-14 kwh).

No air con or pool, we do run 3 floor fans when it's hot (and wear jumpers when it's cold), we have a commercially available heat pump system for hot water with no quick heat backup option, we have our own waste system which has a pump and a constantly running air pump, we have our own water supply which needs a pump, all appliances are electrical.  Someone is home most days so a few things like TV, radios or appliances are running during the day.

The house has approx 110 down lights but not all are running at any one time and most are on dimming switches, about 80 are still 35w halogen but we have a number of hi tech LED (dimmable, commercial grade, lovely light colour - expensive but very very energy efficient).  House is about 10 years old and we insulated the ceiling and every external and internal wall to about an R4.5 - 5.5.  We face west and have about 140sqm of glass which is great for the views but horrendous for energy gain and loss.  Internal air temp ranges between 15 in dead of winter to 30 in summer (0-45 external temps) but is mostly 18-25 throughout the year ie very comfortable.

Down lights may be fashionable but they are poor light emitters as they sit, at best, flush with the ceiling but can't cast light up for it to bounce and reflect down from the ceiling, they aren't really directional and the end result is a lot of them are needed to provide useful light in a room.  An old 45w incandescent lamp on the ceiling has been replaced by 4-6 35w lamps for the same area......

Woo Hoo, looks like I'm going to be winning so far..... last bill....6.09KWh per day.  ($40.00 per month approx)B)

9 Solar panels on the roof.   I think I am on 11c rebate through AGL for the panels.

No pool or any of that stuff just a couple of reverse cycle aircons, used during the day and Evap Cooler at night.

plus all the normal electrical stuff.

I am a frugal old bastard, by turning lights off when not in the room etc.

Solar panels great for during the day, (when there is sun) but the buyback was a rip off when the govt cut all that back from whatever we were on to the 11c now.:angry:

But...

Mrs NIKO loves her garden and the last water bill indicated we had 9 people living in the house, so what we save on the Electricity we lose on the water....:o

Bring back the     SEC.   MMBW.  & the GAS & FUEL.

5 minutes ago, Niko said:

Woo Hoo, looks like I'm going to be winning so far..... last bill....6.09KWh per day.  ($40.00 per month approx)B)

9 Solar panels on the roof.   I think I am on 11c rebate through AGL for the panels.

No pool or any of that stuff just a couple of reverse cycle aircons, used during the day and Evap Cooler at night.

Solar panels great for during the day, (when there is sun) but the buyback was a rip off when the govt cut all that back from whatever we were on to the 11c now.:angry:

But...

Mrs NIKO loves her garden and the last water bill indicated we had 9 people living in the house, so what we save on the Electricity we lose on the water....:o

(but....that's ok......HAPPY WIFE ....HAPPY LIFE)

Jeeze, we're at 22kW per day for the last bill and there is only two of us, gas for cooking and nothing fancy like a cement pond, only two split system AC's.  

25kW per day for the same period last year.

I thought we lived like nuns so that myth is blown.  House is about 100 years old so probably not thermally efficient.

Surely those 5 trickle chargers can't be that bad.....

9 minutes ago, Niko said:

But...

Niko,

living in the dark with a miners light does not count.

35 minutes ago, Niko said:

Woo Hoo, looks like I'm going to be winning so far..... last bill....6.09KWh per day.  ($40.00 per month approx)

What's the gross kw/h use Niko? I presume the 6kw/h is net use given you have solar panels.

32 minutes ago, jakroo said:

What's the gross kw/h use Niko? I presume the 6kw/h is net use given you have solar panels.

Not sure what you call gross unfortunately, but the house comparison for the month is ....

our home. 188kWh.  

compared with 1 person home. 201kWh

compared with 2 person house 282kWh  

There was a $25.00 feed in tariff refund for the month, plus a 35% pay on time etc. (also pay monthly)

I probably am a bit of a scrooge, I turn off standby lights etc when I go to bed.

Not meaning too, but just the way I was brought up.

We do have gas for the hot water and stove top.

There's also only the two of us. 

I've been with AGL for as long as I can remember, (gas and electricity) and have done comparisons each year and they always come out on top.  

Any way you look at it the solar panels clearly make a difference its just the initial cost of of the solar system and how large you wish to go that you would have to factor in eg how many years is it going to take to pay it of and the savings you get ...

There are certainly some good set ups available at a reasonable cost and I would expect the cost of the panels to go down in the future and the efficiency of them to increase substantially also ,,,,there is also the wall mounted battery option available that allows you to store the energy you collect ,currently this set up is very pricey but again I am certain these will become cheaper and something  all house holds will have in the coming years as the greens such down more and more fossil fuel power stations ...

If the tree hugers want me to go green then they have to make this technology finacially viable other wise they are not going to get the radical change that they want ..

4 Bedroom house on 10 acres with pool, all electric (no gas), ducted AC plus two smaller split systems for heating and cooling, electric hot water, fish pond with pump and UV clarifier, heated towel rails, heated bathroom floor, etc etc etc 

For us winters are cold so we used around 70-80 kwh per day in June and July.  Normally around 50kwh in the warmer months,

We have done some renovations starting November and have had the big ducted AC unit disconnected since then and solar hot water installed.  Usage for Feb so far is 28 kwh per day.

Big AC units and plain old electric hot water obviously have a big impact 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Any way you look at it the solar panels clearly make a difference its just the initial cost of of the solar system and how large you wish to go that you would have to factor in eg how many years is it going to take to pay it of and the savings you get ...

There are certainly some good set ups available at a reasonable cost and I would expect the cost of the panels to go down in the future and the efficiency of them to increase substantially also ,,,,there is also the wall mounted battery option available that allows you to store the energy you collect ,currently this set up is very pricey but again I am certain these will become cheaper and something  all house holds will have in the coming years as the greens such down more and more fossil fuel power stations ...

If the tree hugers want me to go green then they have to make this technology finacially viable other wise they are not going to get the radical change that they want ..

It may have been until most of the energy suppliers cut the feed back tariff to 5 eighths of 3 quarters of stuff all......!!

We have a big (800sqm) house, family of 4, house is 5 years old, 6 star energy rated, double glazed, elec heating (rarely used) and elec cooling (6 separate zones so usually one zone only running), 11W LED down lights.  That's the good.  The bad - tennis court lights and 3 pool pumps (filter, in floor cleaning and solar heating).  

Average use 27.8kWh per day.  We have 8kW solar PV which generates about 20kWh per day.  Because usage is charged at 2.5 times feed in rate, we still pay just over $300 per quarter.

I will install batteries at some stage - why pay 29c for power but sell back my generated power at 11c.  I'm better off storing what I generate to draw on during peak periods.  I reckon that should wipe out my bill altogether. And I can charge my Mission E for free....

Question is when is the right time to invest in batteries.  Our solar PV system was around $12k for 8kW in 2013.  The last house we built in 2009 I paid $12k for 1.4kW so the cost has fallen ~80% in 4 years and still falling.

i do find it bizarre how clients talk about payback period on solar & batteries to justify the investment yet they don't question their $30k CBUS automation and $5k TV in every living room.  

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Ok - so our usage is pretty excessive then. Only one of you close.

194.12 kWh / day this last bill.

Super excessive, you need to turn off the hydroponic lights or rig up a meter bypass system!  that's crazy crazy usage.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Been chatting with friends about this, we concluded over a few beers that when batteries get down to maybe $10k ( not that far off), that's probably a tipping point where a lot of households will seriously consider it.  Maybe $15-$20k for a decent PV system with batteries would see most people wipe out say $1500-$2000 annual power bills resulting in a 10 year payback (shorter if elec charges keep rising).  

My last bill was for 28kWh per day. 4 person household in Syndey with a swimming pool.

How the heck do you do 194? Maybe a massive house with open plan, ducted air con running 24/7, and the kids leave the doors open all the time?

Or maybe an outdoor heated pool?

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Ok - so our usage is pretty excessive then. Only one of you close.

194.12 kWh / day this last bill.

Double check you don't have a mysterious property nearby with the curtains always drawn stealing your power to grow some green stuff 24/7 ;)

5 hours ago, tazzieman said:

The day I start worrying about power bills will be the day I start worrying about fuel prices!

You live in luxury , you pay the price one way or another.

The point is that the power price hikes are completely unnecessary. There is no reason st all why the cost of everything else would fall but power doubled and tripled in some places.  It’s entirely government policy to make it expensive and they have succeeded, and then pretend it was some other mysterious thing.

People without a lot of cash get hit  much harder and don’t have a ducted AC to switch off, or a solar system to buy.

The Project examined it.

Generator and supply companies have been given the green light by the AEMC to upgrade their systems and pass on the total cost directly to the consumer with no limits. Assets and Infrastructure improved on you. Not surprisingly some companies were found to be over estimating costs.

Probably a tax deductible as well.

Call it rape. 

I'm all for storing what you generate

5kw system 16 x 320 panels with micro-inverters and 2 x 1.12Kw hour batteries totalling just under $14K

My average daily usage is 5.5Kwh (Depending on the usage of central refrigerated cooling) I don't zone, I want the whole house cool 

Each bill averages between 0 to $20 per month

MUST store for optimal benefit