996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

12 hours ago, xitsurf said:

hey guys

I am looking at 996 base model coupe,  average km ok. 3.4 or 3.6 , 35 to 45,000 man or auto

any members selling.

cheers

Here you go.

There's two manuals in your price range.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5426153/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5448169/?Cr=1

17 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

No, think the colour is right.  Looks like most of the interior is a pale gray except for the seats, which look to be black, or at least dark gray??  Bit hard to tell as the photos are a bit washed out, but @Mike737 or @simonk might be able to comment more.

Seems cheap compared to the C4S Targa I saw advertised for around $120k ?

More than likely there is more than meets the eye here.

As far as hard tops go I've seen them been given away for free right up to $3500.

Thanks for your help.

Auto or manual does not really matter,  i would like a manual but in fairness to my wife she would enjoy driving it ,  an auto is required for that.

So if a good buy auto was around that would be ok, looks like a bit less in price as well.

We live in Tassie so it will more likely be find the right car, get a  ppi ( maybe no ppi if from dealer/right source), fly over to Mainland, hand over cash and drive home??

Perhaps thats why i was thinking a car from here on forum member or reputable dealer.

With the two vehicles you pointed out Disco, thankyou,  the first one has new motor with upgrade size  , perhaps later on when these cares are more collectable this could be a turn off for some.

Second one ,  does anyone know anymore of this car?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5448169/?Cr=1

or there is a blue 1998 Auto Coupe  in South Australia that has been on cs for a while as well

regards .

It's highly unlikely that an auto 996 will become collectible one day, I guess this is shown by the fact that the SA one is under $40k and has been on for quite some time. Buy what you want now, not on what you think might be collectible one day

22 hours ago, Taffy said:

But possible lack of history could be a worry. No hardtop.

These are so old now a thorough PPI is probably a safer bet all round than relying on a stamped up service book.  Although I admit having both is best.  So I wouldn't dismiss it without having a look. 

1 hour ago, JLD said:

It's highly unlikely that an auto 996 will become collectible one day, I guess this is shown by the fact that the SA one is under $40k and has been on for quite some time. Buy what you want now, not on what you think might be collectible one day

Got to disagree with this one history would suggest that most 911’s become collectible over time it’s just manuals command a higher price

1 hour ago, xitsurf said:

or there is a blue 1998 Auto Coupe  in South Australia that has been on cs for a while as well

regards .

Dont know any more about the car but that is the one i would be looking at first.

Auto's are not that bad, i recently ran mine over the alpine regions of Vic and was plenty to keep you honest. Drive one in manual mode using 1st as its a different car.

5 hours ago, xitsurf said:

Thanks for your help.

Auto or manual does not really matter,  i would like a manual but in fairness to my wife she would enjoy driving it ,  an auto is required for that.

So if a good buy auto was around that would be ok, looks like a bit less in price as well.

We live in Tassie so it will more likely be find the right car, get a  ppi ( maybe no ppi if from dealer/right source), fly over to Mainland, hand over cash and drive home??

Perhaps thats why i was thinking a car from here on forum member or reputable dealer.

With the two vehicles you pointed out Disco, thankyou,  the first one has new motor with upgrade size  , perhaps later on when these cares are more collectable this could be a turn off for some.

regards .

xit, we're also in Tassie, and whilst I also had a preference for a manual, we ended up with a Tip as there weren't any manuals at a reasonable price at the time.  It's probably taken a bit of time, but I think I'm coming to grips with the Tip after 4-5 months, and a really good bit of road like Lake Leake Hwy and Frankford Highway helps to make it all come together.    I'm in Lonnie, so if you're up this way we can get together and you can have a drive.  As a comparison you can also drive our manual Boxster.  PM me...

4 hours ago, MARTY said:

Got to disagree with this one history would suggest that most 911’s become collectible over time it’s just manuals command a higher price

It may have a swing in price following a manual 996, but I don’t see a tip 996 sitting in a museum or pride of place in a car collection. The fact that they’re not being snapped up by enthusiasts who are snapping up good 996 manuals shows that collectors won’t be interested in chasing one, much like cabs

6 hours ago, JLD said:

It may have a swing in price following a manual 996, but I don’t see a tip 996 sitting in a museum or pride of place in a car collection. The fact that they’re not being snapped up by enthusiasts who are snapping up good 996 manuals shows that collectors won’t be interested in chasing one, much like cabs

The same things used to get said about 964’s only time will tell.As most owners will testify the 996 is the best bang for buck at the moment a great car to drive in any form be it cab/coupe manual or tip

2 hours ago, MARTY said:

The same things used to get said about 964’s only time will tell.As most owners will testify the 996 is the best bang for buck at the moment a great car to drive in any form be it cab/coupe manual or tip

The same thing is happening with 964s. You get manual coupes selling for $125-$150k, yet there has been a tip cab sitting at $72k for months. The manual coupes are the in demand cars, the rest languish

1 hour ago, JLD said:

The same thing is happening with 964s. You get manual coupes selling for $125-$150k, yet there has been a tip cab sitting at $72k for months. The manual coupes are the in demand cars, the rest languish

My old one sold for $110k i guess it comes down to condition that was a tip and a cab.like ive said before only time will tell on values ,all i know is I'll be driving mine this weekend and will love every minute of it 

I'll check back in on the price achievements/comparisons of the 996/997 auto cabs, autos, man cabs and man coupes and GT cars and turbos in 25 years and I think you'll find them spread across the field with a ratio not dissimilar to the G series. We are seeing the commencement of it across the board now 

Lets hope strange green CAB TIP with replacement engines going totally crazy in value ?. They are only a few years off hitting the club plate requirement which will mean keeping them around as a part time driver will become dirt cheap so holding onto it for that long might become more feasible.

Thinking a 986 Boxster Manual and a 996 Tip might the best way to get both options ticked on a budget. Lots of common parts to keep spares needed down.

Well the way values and scarcity of C2 manual coupes are going I think I may hang onto mine for a little while longer. Since purchasing almost a year ago, I haven't see any factory Cup Aerokit manuals for sale. Actually any factory XAA car for that.

Mine has just over 55000kms I thought knocking back $68K from a wholesaler a couple weeks ago was possibly a bad move. Maybe not in hindsight!

Cheers,

Dave.

47 minutes ago, D2000 said:

A C4 coupe in manual with IMS done. $31k spent in last 10,000km - yikes!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2000/SSE-AD-5476966?id=SSE-AD-5476966

Noticed the nice leather interior then realised it is an import - C18

Ah I saw that this morning and didn’t realise it was an import.

To be honest when I saw that’s what he’d spent on getting it in order I’m starting to question my intentions of buying a 996... I’d expect to spend something but if $30k is par for the course that’s enough to make me skip the idea all together and just buy a new M2...

1 minute ago, JWM said:

To be honest when I saw that’s what he’d spent on getting it in order I’m starting to question my intentions of buying a 996... I’d expect to spend something but if $30k is par for the course that’s enough to make me skip the idea all together and just buy a new M2...

It's not an apples for apples comparison but I know what you mean.

These are 20 year old exotics with 20 year old exotic problems.

You can always get a 997 for M2 money. Might be harder to finance on account of it being older

Just now, JWM said:

30k is on the very extreme side, also being an import it may have had a hard life already. 

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

30k is on the very extreme side, also being an import it may have had a hard life already. 

Also its hard to know whats actually been done to it from those photos - the first bill is reasonable, then the 16k one there are no details?? 

20 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Well that's a bit of a relief ?

20 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

It's not an apples for apples comparison but I know what you mean.

These are 20 year old exotics with 20 year old exotic problems.

You can always get a 997 for M2 money. Might be harder to finance on account of it being older

Yeah, probably sounds like an odd comparison but one I've thought about in terms of all being somewhere in the price range. I should have been clearer too - I've been thinking about a 997 or 996 C4S. With the new M2 Competition on the way you can get a "run out" M2 very cheap right now, all very much in the same ball park.

I'd prefer the 911 for a number of reasons but the M2 certainly seems like the "no hassle" option - and as you say, could be financed, which is a tempting option when rates are so low.

Anyway, totally off topic, apologies for derailing!

On 5/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

No, think the colour is right.  Looks like most of the interior is a pale gray except for the seats, which look to be black, or at least dark gray??  Bit hard to tell as the photos are a bit washed out, but @Mike737 or @simonk might be able to comment more.

Seems cheap compared to the C4S Targa I saw advertised for around $120k ?

Bit late to the party, but looks like ocean blue external paint, graphite grey mixed with black interior