996-7 Turbo Market Watch

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Curious on the consensus on this… assuming a good driver condition car, what’s the thoughts on a high mile (170k kms) import (UK car) 996 Turbo (Tiptronic) ?? 

Be harsh, really trying to work out what the bottom of the barrel is! 

IMO - Original or mostly, fair service history, usual maintenance, import 10 years back ...

Coupe - sell $85k, buy $70k, so the answer lays within.

Conv - sell 75k, buy $65K, = 70k ... depends who wants/needs to sell/buy in what timeframe.

Bottom of the barrel but helluva car!

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

IMO - Original or mostly, fair service history, usual maintenance, import 10 years back ...

Coupe - sell $85k, buy $70k, so the answer lays within.

Conv - sell 75k, buy $65K, = 70k ... depends who wants/needs to sell/buy in what timeframe.

Bottom of the barrel but helluva car!

Thank you! 

I’ve not had one yet, but there is some opportunities to buy in well (I think) and enjoy it elsewhere before importing. 

On 21/07/2024 at 19:15, edgy said:

Thank you! 

I’ve not had one yet, but there is some opportunities to buy in well (I think) and enjoy it elsewhere before importing. 

On 21/07/2024 at 19:15, edgy said:

Thank you! 

A tipper and stock, why bother.  So much performance and smile per mile to be had with a third pedal, at least one bar of boost on tap and a much better flowing exhaust.  A third gear pull is a standout and much  better than a third gear pull in your gt3rs me thinks and much more addictive.  Even get the jekyl and hyde thing going on.  Above 5500, very  gt3 ish engine note wise  free

If you have a itch to scratch, scratch it properly.

For me, a  stock  tipper in a boosted 996 is just like having a stock r tronic in a v10 r8.  Last century tech and so much performance and smiles per mile left behind compared to those that go for a 6 speed box, piss off the factory exhaust and get more area under the curve on a dyno graph ( who gives a toss about peak tq or hp). A  Free flowing exhaust from a mezger or 5.2l v10  is a  much more momentus driving experience when combined with rowing gears with a left pedal. 

20 hours ago, smit2100 said:

A tipper and stock, why bother.  So much performance and smile per mile to be had with a third pedal, at least one bar of boost on tap and a much better flowing exhaust.  A third gear pull is a standout and much  better than a third gear pull in your gt3rs me thinks and much more addictive.  Even get the jekyl and hyde thing going on.  Above 5500, very  gt3 ish engine note wise  free

If you have a itch to scratch, scratch it properly.

For me, a  stock  tipper in a boosted 996 is just like having a stock r tronic in a v10 r8.  Last century tech and so much performance and smiles per mile left behind compared to those that go for a 6 speed box, piss off the factory exhaust and get more area under the curve on a dyno graph ( who gives a toss about peak tq or hp). A  Free flowing exhaust from a mezger or 5.2l v10  is a  much more momentus driving experience when combined with rowing gears with a left pedal. 

I liked my tiptronic Carrera for its intended use, so the way I see it, it’s more of a fast GT/mile eater I’m looking at… plus something to drive in traffic. 

If I’m not feeling the 996 RS for 3 pedal action, there’s always the saltry Italian with 3 pedals, a gated shifter and a V12 in the garage

11 hours ago, edgy said:

I liked my tiptronic Carrera for its intended use, so the way I see it, it’s more of a fast GT/mile eater I’m looking at… plus something to drive in traffic. 

Yep 👍

If I’m not feeling the 996 RS for 3 pedal action, there’s always the saltry Italian with 3 pedals, a gated shifter and a V12 in the garage

Blasphemer 😉

17 hours ago, edgy said:

there’s always the saltry Italian with 3 pedals, a gated shifter and a V12 in the garage

Ohh. Any pictures posted on the forum? Missed this news!

On 23/07/2024 at 17:40, edgy said:

Fair enough on the fast GT/ mile eater plus something to drive in traffic.  I'm more on the bang for buck performance ratio.   Is sultry on the lambo or ferrari side and front engined vs mid.  Can't say I've driven a saltry italian with 3 pedals and gated shifter,   but have recently  racked up 50kms on  moving permits on a 5.2 l v10 gated manual mid engined example which doesn't come with the raging bull tax which is parked up in the garage pending rego so  not getting any action.  My short experience to date is its far   from being  sultry  and more jekyl and hide (what a difference the  wired in special secret sauce button in lieu of a cigarette lighter makes). But with a bit less hp/ tq, the 996 turbo requires a fair bit more effort to tame. Once a boost junky always a boost junky.   How good would a gated manual mated to a rear  mezger ( boosted of cause) be.  Perhaps  Jeff's next home build project

On 25/07/2024 at 01:22, smit2100 said:

Fair enough on the fast GT/ mile eater plus something to drive in traffic.  I'm more on the bang for buck performance ratio.   Is sultry on the lambo or ferrari side and front engined vs mid.  Can't say I've driven a saltry italian with 3 pedals and gated shifter,   but have recently  racked up 50kms on  moving permits on a 5.2 l v10 gated manual mid engined example which doesn't come with the raging bull tax which is parked up in the garage pending rego so  not getting any action.  My short experience to date is its far   from being  sultry  and more jekyl and hide (what a difference the  wired in special secret sauce button in lieu of a cigarette lighter makes). But with a bit less hp/ tq, the 996 turbo requires a fair bit more effort to tame. Once a boost junky always a boost junky.   How good would a gated manual mated to a rear  mezger ( boosted of cause) be.  Perhaps  Jeff's next home build project

Cool, I think those early Gallardo are somewhat of a bargain for what you’re getting, Shame the Super leg opener didn’t come manual here (at least not seen one) otherwise that would seriously tempt me! 

My Italian is of the maranello DOCG 😆 

On 24/07/2024 at 12:51, Dalai said:

Ohh. Any pictures posted on the forum? Missed this news!

I hadn’t posted any, wasn’t sure it was of interest to readers here… but long & short a factory white 456 GT (manual) a delightful car when all is well! 

37 minutes ago, edgy said:

I hadn’t posted any, wasn’t sure it was of interest to readers here… but long & short a factory white 456 GT (manual) a delightful car when all is well! 

I can't speak for the others, but I'm a fan of most ICE powered vehicles on 2 and 4 wheels regardless the marquee... Sounds great!

23 hours ago, edgy said:

Cool, I think those early Gallardo are somewhat of a bargain for what you’re getting, 

Prefer the 5.2l v10 vs the 1st gen 5l so the gated audi v10 R8 slots in the middle. Basically same drive train thats in the lambo but detuned.  Nothing a 2k tune and  aftermarket exhaust doesn't sort out.

Been a long  patient  waiting game to land one on a budget.  Started pre covid and only came across 6 up for grabs across the usual public channels that weren't overly tweaked.  Even lowered my expectations at one stage and resigned to chasing the lesser variant with the 4.2l.  But some of those minty ones have owners who are speculator and very stubborn and pricing in future classic premiums who are into their 2 to 3 year carsales campaigns. Happy to land a  NA gated  V10  6MT  example with an after  market valved exhaust that  livens up the driving experience and compliments a tweaked boosted 996 mezger if your restricted to two garage sports and into last century type tech and bang for buck performance if your budget contrained.

Each to their own, but cannot comprehend how you could own a mezger or 5.2l v10 in stock guise and  not swap out the factory exhaust and bang on a tune.  Tranforms  the driving experience and easy to go back to stock for a sale if you think that helps with a sale after your watch. 

That also applies to inferior mezger tippers /v10 rtronic boxes.

10 minutes ago, edgy said:

currently showing as 'provisionally sold' 

I was watching something else that ended with this status, and it’s now back on the “coming soon” page, so not actually sure what it means? My guess was maybe: “close enough to reserve we might convince the buyer and seller to do a deal”

On 31/07/2024 at 18:40, T435 said:

This was just pre covid , don’t know if they will get back down to that but current stock is not really moving. 

IMG_4158.jpeg

Always important to compare cars in correct context. 

The black tiptronic (automatic) above was a grey import (Hong Kong iirc). It also had some mods and not all original parts included (again from memory). 

If allowing a ~20% difference to Aus delivered, brings it to not far off this recent CC sale. 

Whilst I agree with ALL of the above - Jeepers... a 996TT for $80K???? - no matter which way you slice it - the most the buy could ever lose is $80K.....

Thats a cheap entry into P-Car ownership..... Mezger + TT no less.....

An S1 sequential conversion, big snails + intercoolers, a tune, some suspension and you'd have a weapon!!

YMMV