Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

I'm sorry this is OT but I had such a fun day, thought I'd tell my old porsche buddies about it.

First run with the clubmini people - really nice bunch of folk, lots of different MINIs.. fun roads out to mt donna buang, on to marysville and back via maroondah hwy

Here I am!  You know, as much as I enjoy the MINI - I've still got the Porsche bug bad :(  still nearly get whiplash everytime I see one. I was hoping it might wear off, but we'll see eh....

10453053_10152192598477918_5482338336689

We went for a day out to the Barossa Valley. Took my wife hot air ballooning. Then we had breakfast and a little wine tasting at Langmeil Winery in Tanunda. Had to leave home at 4.30am. I didn't know there was a 4.30 in the morning.

The drive there was awesome. No traffic on the country roads, and lots of high speed sweeping corners. Great driving.

Should have borrowed my son'a GoPro for the day. Would have been great in the balloon.

Jumped in the car Saturday morning at 7.30 am with the rain coming down. Proceeded to drive the 550km to Narrabri with my 6 yo in tow to deliver him to his cousin's zombie sleep over birthday party in Narrabri.

Of course it was basicaly wet the whole way up, and a 2 km stretch of roadworks had turned into mud.

Sunday morning, did the opposite trip, although this time in pretty blustery conditions, but not too much rain.

Given I have managed about 2,000 km on the car in 12 months, was great to get some decent km's under the belt. I was surprised by how comfortable the car was (some road noise aside) and how fresh I felt at the end of the trip, despite some pretty poor NSW roads.

Damage count:

- 1 decent stone chip in the front bumper

- a few small marks in the bonnet (no great concern)

- about 3 hours (next weekend) to get the car clean again

- 1 McDonalds lunch

Guest Harold

Drove to Church Point this afternoon for a cup of tea on the boat. Was quite pleasant. Gave it some through the bends and it still amazes me how flat and controlled it is on tight bends when under power.

Jumped in the car Saturday morning at 7.30 am with the rain coming down. Proceeded to drive the 550km to Narrabri with my 6 yo in tow to deliver him to his cousin's zombie sleep over birthday party in Narrabri.

Of course it was basicaly wet the whole way up, and a 2 km stretch of roadworks had turned into mud.

Sunday morning, did the opposite trip, although this time in pretty blustery conditions, but not too much rain.

Given I have managed about 2,000 km on the car in 12 months, was great to get some decent km's under the belt. I was surprised by how comfortable the car was (some road noise aside) and how fresh I felt at the end of the trip, despite some pretty poor NSW roads.

Damage count:

- 1 decent stone chip in the front bumper

- a few small marks in the bonnet (no great concern)

- about 3 hours (next weekend) to get the car clean again

- 1 McDonalds lunch

The weather was pretty ordinary over the weekend………wish I'd known, could have stopped in Quirindi for a coffee break.

Nice day, so a quick blast from Officer down to Bittern, and back. Not ideal roads ( pretty straight) but the ability to combine a must do chore with a drive was good.......looks like I'm back to weekend drives now as after 2 years of full time unemployment I start a new role on Tuesday.....going to miss the mid week blasts..!,

Nice day, so a quick blast from Officer down to Bittern, and back. Not ideal roads ( pretty straight) but the ability to combine a must do chore with a drive was good.......looks like I'm back to weekend drives now as after 2 years of full time unemployment I start a new role on Tuesday.....going to miss the mid week blasts..!,

Congratulations Peter. Hope it all works out....

Best wishes

C

Caught up with some of last year's Tassie crew and mates, covered 530km today.

Had breaky at Mirboo, it really was great day out with lots of twisties.

Victoria is such a beautiful place, especially this time of the year with lots of greenery.

What really surprised me was that the new standard HSV Clubsport station wagon kept up with the series 2 GT3 3.8L through the twisties, he was nudging his bumper......... until he started having brake fade but to be fair he had a lot more track experience.

GT3 had full shark works sports exhaust system, the sound was just to die for.

2014-06-22185229_resized_zps649a4c80.jpg

2014-06-22184900_resized_zpsa7895fe2.jpg

th_2014-06-22185640_resized_zps269e7158.

2014-06-22190603_resized_zps5023868a.jpg

The Clubsport has the std 4 caliper brakes, GTS has 6. Would have been a good 30 min.
GT3 driver had some track experience but hsv had way more but it was his wife's car !!

GT3 was just gorgeous, especially with that full exhaust. When l say full, l mean full exhaust.... headers and all.

If you were keeping up with the HSV that was keeping up with the GT3 that means you too were keeping up with the GT3 that was not getting away from the HSV or your 996TT!

I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am.

When l was leading through the damp/green moss twisty roads with out bragging l was leaving them both for dead, that's the advantage of all wheel drive and all weather tyres.

Did a club economy run today ; 1.5 hrs to the start , mostly in fog , then it cleared and we hit the east coast for lunch in glorious winter sun. I took youngest son in the type 928 and oldest lad drove the type 944. Rules were to keep above 80km/hr for the 70km stage.

And an index of performance award so going too slow would be a penalty.

FWIW the 928's "economy" (choke on those two words together , it's an early 80s V8!) was 12.7L/100km@84km/hr (choke again)

Which I reckon is pretty good given it's an old auto V8 and I didn't turn the engine off or drop into neutral on the downhill bits  ^_^ I've never ever bought a car for its economy btw. Winner did 6.6L/100km in a 1981 911SC...

I had the temp gauge flicking up and down all day (just below the red in the really misty damp bits) but I know this is the flaky engine harness. How do I know I'm not running hot? Well I've checked with an IR gauge , as it's scientific! Plus it's got a new radiator , WP and T'stat. Plus when I open the bonnet it feels cool and there's no steam, haha. But still , you don't drive these old cars without keeping an eye on the gauges.

Tonight as a temporary fix I chased the rotten insulation back , hit the green wires with some contact cleaner , wound some healthy starnds around and applied liquid cable shield. Engine harness will be rebuilt when I get a free evening or two.

Oh and a couple of my quick snaps at the start

ER1.jpg

ER2.jpg

All in all a good run , a great drive back down the east coast .

Plus I took a turbo petrol Macan for a quick blat up the road , without really paying attention to economy  :D They go OK , that's for sure.

When l was leading through the damp/green moss twisty roads with out bragging l was leaving them both for dead, that's the advantage of all wheel drive and all weather tyres.

and you girls didn`t see me because I was pulling away from you in my wifes Pajero towing a trailer pulling six wheel slides on bald tyres 

Did a club economy run today ; 1.5 hrs to the start , mostly in fog , then it cleared and we hit the east coast for lunch in glorious winter sun. I took youngest son in the type 928 and oldest lad drove the type 944. Rules were to keep above 80km/hr for the 70km stage.

And an index of performance award so going too slow would be a penalty.

FWIW the 928's "economy" (choke on those two words together , it's an early 80s V8!) was 12.7L/100km@84km/hr (choke again)

Which I reckon is pretty good given it's an old auto V8 and I didn't turn the engine off or drop into neutral on the downhill bits  ^_^ I've never ever bought a car for its economy btw. Winner did 6.6L/100km in a 1981 911SC...

I had the temp gauge flicking up and down all day (just below the red in the really misty damp bits) but I know this is the flaky engine harness. How do I know I'm not running hot? Well I've checked with an IR gauge , as it's scientific! Plus it's got a new radiator , WP and T'stat. Plus when I open the bonnet it feels cool and there's no steam, haha. But still , you don't drive these old cars without keeping an eye on the gauges.

Tonight as a temporary fix I chased the rotten insulation back , hit the green wires with some contact cleaner , wound some healthy starnds around and applied liquid cable shield. Engine harness will be rebuilt when I get a free evening or two.

Oh and a couple of my quick snaps at the start

ER1.jpg

All in all a good run , a great drive back down the east coast .

Plus I took a turbo petrol Macan for a quick blat up the road , without really paying attention to economy  :D They go OK , that's for sure.

I see a yellow targa back there!  whats the deal tazzieman?

I see a yellow targa back there!  whats the deal tazzieman?

Thought you might spot that. I told you that targa was for sale back when you were looking!

It was bought by a dentist who loved it for a year ; now it's gone to a long time club member.

Houndstooth upholstery and all  ;)

Nowhere. One's broken and the other's at the beautician getting The World's Smallest Ding repaired from the rear bumper. 

But this is my 500th post so, go me.

you did drive 3/4ths of a SMT so it wasn't that bad!

you did drive 3/4ths of a SMT so it wasn't that bad!

Car is back from T&D, would you believe a new set of points fixed it?

Bonus is that I now have some history on the vehicle as they had been looking after it for the previous owner and gave me a print out of the work done. Quite an extensive list.

Good info like the fact that it has a 915 LSD and was previously a Sporto. New clutch not so long ago. New brake lines, front calipers etc etc.

And my Wevo short shift arrived in the post today so project for the weekend.