Sell or hold?

Stu

16 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I get out pretty much at least weekly.  Huge run through west head and down around Akuna bay and back out at sunset last Saturday. Was awesome….it’s even better in rain as road is empty  

doing old road at dawn this Sunday.  

it’s surely not that hard guys!  

Do you go solo mate? Or have a good reliable crew to join you? 

I've got a few Sydney folks that are solid for drives, but I am more often invited to groups that do little more than bench racing (shit talking) lol it seems to be a Sydney syndrome! 

2 hours ago, reedminor said:

For context I’m a former Sydney sider now living in Melbourne. I lived in the Hills District and the Rozelle prior to moving south, and I managed to get out

mc968cs has given you 2 drives already .

I’ll add a couplemore in close proximity to sydney. Wiseman’s Ferry, across the punt, turn right. Head towards Gosford. Home.

Camden- razorback mountain and the back way to Mittagong then home to Sydney.

Bells line of road to Mount Victoria. Stop for scones and coffee and home.

theres 5 drives. 2-5 hour time investment.

now get out and drive and enjoy your cars.

Justin

Oh - I wasn't saying I don't drive - I was more explaining why the social runs don't seem to happen that often in Sydney compared to elsewhere.

I live on the blue mountains door step, i'm not short of runs, I just do them by myself mostly. One run years ago used one of my local cafes as a waypoint.

49 minutes ago, edgy said:

I've got a few Sydney folks that are solid for drives, but I am more often invited to groups that do little more than bench racing (shit talking) lol it seems to be a Sydney syndrome! 

Sounds about right :Chuckle2:

14 hours ago, sleazius said:

It is definitely the size of Sydney and how difficult it is to traverse that limits local drives. Personally I'm not going to make the effort to join an almost suburban run that frankly is a procession because of heavy handed policing. You have to get out to the boonies, and for most Sydney-siders, that could take 90 mins or more to get to the start point, even on the weekend.

I'm an extreme case but the quickest route by road to get to Sydney CBD is 76km. Bondi is 83km. Narrabeen is 87km. My suburb is within the city boundary.

tldr: Sydney is huge and poorly designed. So car runs are infrequent.

I concur and am in a similar boat albeit I'm northwest and I think you're west(ish) - my first traffic light is 20+kms away and I can drive in a loop of first left then first right for the next few turns and it's 65kms all without a roundabout or traffic light.  Great curves etc but the roads right now are Unimog only with pot holes, centre ridges (sump removal devices) and enormous crater like edge subsidence.

But even before all of this current weather, there have only been a few drives I've become aware of (or perhaps better interpreted as 'invited to') that were in Sydney in the past 5 years.

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Gets me fired up, then I typically more onto some Celine Dion to keep me in the zone. 

As you sip your mocha choi decaf latte with cinnamon sprinkles? 😎

I'm more into Motley Crue' 'Kick-start my Heart' to fire me up with some Metallica 'zone' music, but each to their own I s'pose 😉

Geez, takes me nearly an hour to meet up for one of Arnie's drives. Time spent on the drive and anything up to two hours home again.

The time spent getting there is worth the thrill and camaraderie .

Though I do feel like Melbourne guys are more willing to travel for enthusiast events (IMO)

You poor sods.  I don't like to brag (but I will) - I've got a former Targa Tas stage pretty much 5 minutes from my garage door, and I live on the edge of suburbia.  In about 1 1/4 hours I can do a loop that includes 3 TT stages and a heap of great driving roads....... 

That's why all you mainland buggers keep on coming over here 🙂 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

As you sip your mocha choi decaf latte with cinnamon sprinkles? 😎

espresso = a 'shot' (single dose = 30ml) of coffee

chai = spiced milk powder used to flavour water or more commonly milk.  Can be added to an espresso.

decaf = decaffeinated coffee

latte = the way the milk is silked and stretched and then ultimately poured in to drinking vessel

mocha = chocolate powder added to a shot of espresso and then milk is added to that mix

cinnamon is rarely used as sprinkles given it's over powering flavour and fragrance. 

What you have expressed there Lee is utter nonsense 🙂  This short video will give you the various options....(Steve Martin's request is also nonsensical and it's what makes is such a good scene)

28 minutes ago, LeeM said:

What I exspresso'd there @jakroo, is what I call a 'pisstake', and also commonly known as 'taking the piss' 😁

You could have only made it more of a piss take with “pumpkin spiced” but it’s not halloween and we’re not in America.. but I’d still get a solid giggle if you did… 🤗

4 hours ago, jakroo said:

I concur and am in a similar boat albeit I'm northwest and I think you're west(ish) - my first traffic light is 20+kms away and I can drive in a loop of first left then first right for the next few turns and it's 65kms all without a roundabout or traffic light.  Great curves etc but the roads right now are Unimog only with pot holes, centre ridges (sump removal devices) and enormous crater like edge subsidence.

But even before all of this current weather, there have only been a few drives I've become aware of (or perhaps better interpreted as 'invited to') that were in Sydney in the past 5 years.

Yep - 12kms from Penrith in a southerly direction. The thing is most Sydneysiders don't even realise how big our city is - part of the reason that anyone West of Annandale hearing themselves described as "Western Sydney" rolls their eyes. It'd be the same as me calling Gosford "Northern Sydney".

Anyway - I'll make you a deal. I'm happy to organise a run or two provided no-one minds if I turn up in my WRX :Chuckle2:

Need the all paw action for the goat tracks our roads have devolved into.

The Sydney scene has always been quiet, at least for me, and for some strange reason I find myself going on drives with Melbourne guys far more than any local to me. I find it is more that most of us are just sitting back waiting for someone else to organise something. 

5 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

You poor sods.  I don't like to brag (but I will) - I've got a former Targa Tas stage pretty much 5 minutes from my garage door, and I live on the edge of suburbia.  In about 1 1/4 hours I can do a loop that includes 3 TT stages and a heap of great driving roads....... 

That's why all you mainland buggers keep on coming over here 🙂 

Where in bleak Van Diemen’s Land do you reside?

Yes the roads down there are magnificent fun.

On 27/05/2022 at 18:41, LeeM said:

What I exspresso'd there @jakroo, is what I call a 'pisstake', and also commonly known as 'taking the piss' 😁

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that at all 🤣

On 27/05/2022 at 19:51, sleazius said:

Yep - 12kms from Penrith in a southerly direction. The thing is most Sydneysiders don't even realise how big our city is - part of the reason that anyone West of Annandale hearing themselves described as "Western Sydney" rolls their eyes. It'd be the same as me calling Gosford "Northern Sydney".

Anyway - I'll make you a deal. I'm happy to organise a run or two provided no-one minds if I turn up in my WRX :Chuckle2:

Yes, the Sydney basin is a large one. Lots of large tracts of green space (thousands of acres at a time) as well and the road network doesn't distribute us quickly anymore.

The issue you'll have is the clearance of undercarriage to road crown. You really need a SUV. Low powered is fine cos at any real speed you'll not be able to avoid all obstacles 😳

I can drive the Evo and we can drive in convoy, us vs them 🤣🤣

14 hours ago, sleazius said:

Yep this is my dilemma.  On the plus side, I've got four paws - but need to look at renewing suspension (20 years old now) and no lowering for me!

On 27/05/2022 at 08:57, hugh said:

My typical public road run kicks off around 1.5 hours from home but I still enjoy the commute - as it's my downtime (Porsche time). Few tunes and ease into the mental rush that's about to unfold....................

Phillip Island is approx. 75 min away

Sandown 20min 

Winton 3 hours 

Haunted Hills 90min 

They are all worth it. Weekend after next I will be hill climbing in Ararat approx. 3-4 hours drive...............all seat time, savour it. No excuses here gents, just make it happen. ;)

Love it!

On 27/05/2022 at 07:11, LeeM said:

We own Porsches mate...we're all wankers apparently 😁

I've even got the tshirt a mate made for me 😁👍

And I whinge about driving my air cooled for 8 minutes and 3 sets of lights to get to the Adelaide Hills 🙄

Sorry, I'll shut up now 

Hahaha classic!

On 27/05/2022 at 11:29, hugh said:

The delicate balance of life, working hard enough to buy said toy vs being able to afford the time to use it. 

This is sooooo true!

Coming from Northern Sydney, sorry "Gosford" I have a few options around here that get me a 100-120km loop and only a few taffic lights and minimal freeway cooling off periods.

One thing is I can get from home to Canberra and see 2-3 sets of traffic lights as long as I do not mind paying for the priviledge.

Noticed a lack of NSW based runs so have taken off on a few from here to Canberra and back via Batemans Bay etc for a full weekend run. Have seriously thought of a trip down south to join one of the drives down there. Haven't managed it yet, but 2022 isn;t over.