Sell or hold?

Stu

I have a 991.1 4S - I obsessed about getting it but now I don’t drive it. I’ve noticed very few come up for sale, I presume not many were made and maybe like my love for Targas I’m the only one who likes them :)

anyone know the real reason? Anyway my problem remains, sell or hold… any words of logic?

Why sell? Got somewhere better to park cash for fun or further uplift or you feel this car was one for such?
Why hold? Will your love and priorities come back to it in the near future? 
Life’s too short to wonder- that’s why you lusted and you bought it, but if you’re lusting for something else go get it!  🚤 

It seems for some it's all in the thrill of the chase. Once obtained, it sits, and without a conscious effort to get out and use it they loose their appeal. I don't know if the local scene in Syd is lacking in efforts to get out for regular drives but I see a lot of cars sitting in NSW (maybe it's their crappy weather?) :rolleyes: 

Seems like a shame to sell it, especially if you haven't had the opportunity and/or company to enjoy it properly. Use the rest of the rubber left before you move it on I say. 

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

No better time to sell it if you plan on flipping it. I've been considering cutting back on the 'fleet' lately myself. Been threatening to sell my 997 for 3 years now. Never happens though.

Sounds familiar 🙄 Not that I have a 'fleet' though...just one 😁

2 hours ago, hugh said:

I don't know if the local scene in Syd is lacking in efforts to get out for regular drives but I see a lot of cars sitting in NSW (maybe it's their crappy weather?) :rolleyes: 

I think it may be a mixture of both!. A drive in Sydney first involves a > 1 hour drive OUT of Sydney. And agree, the weather has been super terrible too - probably should have bought a canoe rather than a 996.... :drown:

PS: If anyone is looking to go for a drive, hit me up!

2 hours ago, hugh said:

It seems for some it's all in the thrill of the chase. Once obtained, it sits, and without a conscious effort to get out and use it they loose their appeal. I don't know if the local scene in Syd is lacking in efforts to get out for regular drives but I see a lot of cars sitting in NSW (maybe it's their crappy weather?) :rolleyes: 

Seems like a shame to sell it, especially if you haven't had the opportunity and/or company to enjoy it properly. Use the rest of the rubber left before you move it on I say. 

7 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

I think it may be a mixture of both!. A drive in Sydney first involves a > 1 hour drive OUT of Sydney. And agree, the weather has been super terrible too - probably should have bought a canoe rather than a 996.... :drown:

PS: If anyone is looking to go for a drive, hit me up!

For me currently it's less the weather and more the condition of our NSW regional roads.  The Oxley Highway is lovely and close to me, however two years of really wet weather has led to land slips and hugely degraded B roads which haven't seen any attention.  I understand there's no point repairing the roads until this weather spell is clearly over, but there will be some serious long-term engineering and spending required.  NSW is already drifting into Victoria's lazy policy of lowering speed limits rather than improving or repairing roads (much better camera return).

I get out pretty much at least weekly.  Huge run through west head and down around Akuna bay and back out at sunset last Saturday. Was awesome….it’s even better in rain as road is empty  

doing old road at dawn this Sunday.  

it’s surely not that hard guys!  

16 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Not driving your Porsche is like not having sex with your girlfriend, why keep the mileage down for the next boyfriend or in the case of a Porsche the next owner 😉

Yeah but you got to remember, If the wife found out I wouldn't be driving anything :)

11 hours ago, 9er said:

In a world of problems, this is the one you want to have.

Hahahah duly noted I feel like a wanker now

8 hours ago, reedminor said:

My sentiments exactly

Yea good solution!!! 😂

8 hours ago, sleazius said:

No better time to sell it if you plan on flipping it. I've been considering cutting back on the 'fleet' lately myself. Been threatening to sell my 997 for 3 years now. Never happens though.

Yes this is what I’m thinking too but I don’t seem to be able to complete the task 🤣

6 hours ago, hugh said:

Yep I think you nailed it!

3 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I get out pretty much at least weekly.  Huge run through west head and down around Akuna bay and back out at sunset last Saturday. Was awesome….it’s even better in rain as road is empty  

doing old road at dawn this Sunday.  

it’s surely not that hard guys!  

Yep you are right - I’m taking this advice

3 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Not driving your Porsche is like not having sex with your girlfriend, why keep the mileage down for the next boyfriend or in the case of a Porsche the next owner 😉

Hahahhahahahahha!!!

7 hours ago, hugh said:

I don't know if the local scene in Syd is lacking in efforts to get out for regular drives but I see a lot of cars sitting in NSW (maybe it's their crappy weather?) :rolleyes: 

It is definitely the size of Sydney and how difficult it is to traverse that limits local drives. Personally I'm not going to make the effort to join an almost suburban run that frankly is a procession because of heavy handed policing. You have to get out to the boonies, and for most Sydney-siders, that could take 90 mins or more to get to the start point, even on the weekend.

I'm an extreme case but the quickest route by road to get to Sydney CBD is 76km. Bondi is 83km. Narrabeen is 87km. My suburb is within the city boundary.

tldr: Sydney is huge and poorly designed. So car runs are infrequent.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Hahahah duly noted I feel like a wanker now 

We own Porsches mate...we're all wankers apparently 😁

I've even got the tshirt a mate made for me 😁👍

7 hours ago, sleazius said:

You have to get out to the boonies, and for most Sydney-siders, that could take 90 mins or more to get to the start point, even on the weekend.

And I whinge about driving my air cooled for 8 minutes and 3 sets of lights to get to the Adelaide Hills 🙄

Sorry, I'll shut up now 

My typical public road run kicks off around 1.5 hours from home but I still enjoy the commute - as it's my downtime (Porsche time). Few tunes and ease into the mental rush that's about to unfold....................

Phillip Island is approx. 75 min away

Sandown 20min 

Winton 3 hours 

Haunted Hills 90min 

They are all worth it. Weekend after next I will be hill climbing in Ararat approx. 3-4 hours drive...............all seat time, savour it. No excuses here gents, just make it happen. ;)

10 hours ago, sleazius said:

It is definitely the size of Sydney and how difficult it is to traverse that limits local drives. Personally I'm not going to make the effort to join an almost suburban run that frankly is a procession because of heavy handed policing. You have to get out to the boonies, and for most Sydney-siders, that could take 90 mins or more to get to the start point, even on the weekend.

I'm an extreme case but the quickest route by road to get to Sydney CBD is 76km. Bondi is 83km. Narrabeen is 87km. My suburb is within the city boundary.

tldr: Sydney is huge and poorly designed. So car runs are infrequent.

For context I’m a former Sydney sider now living in Melbourne. I lived in the Hills District and the Rozelle prior to moving south, and I managed to get out

mc968cs has given you 2 drives already .

I’ll add a couplemore in close proximity to sydney. Wiseman’s Ferry, across the punt, turn right. Head towards Gosford. Home.

Camden- razorback mountain and the back way to Mittagong then home to Sydney.

Bells line of road to Mount Victoria. Stop for scones and coffee and home.

theres 5 drives. 2-5 hour time investment.

now get out and drive and enjoy your cars.

Justin

11 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Fair point 😅

The convenience of living in a small city would be the main reason if I ever moved there. B)

Though for me where I am in Melbourne the better roads start about 30min away when leaving early for a blast, so not too bad and no excuse not to get out. First world problem is which vehicle to take... Currently been favouring my 92 Gixxer for my every 2nd Friday RDO (took a pay cut to go 9 day fortnight) whilst it's been dry. 

2 hours ago, hugh said:

My typical public road run kicks off around 1.5 hours from home but I still enjoy the commute - as it's my downtime (Porsche time). Few tunes and ease into the mental rush that's about to unfold....................

Phillip Island is approx. 75 min away

Sandown 20min 

Winton 3 hours 

Haunted Hills 90min 

They are all worth it. Weekend after next I will be hill climbing in Ararat approx. 3-4 hours drive...............all seat time, savour it. No excuses here gents, just make it happen. ;)

Cindy Lauper or Ozzy and his mates?