Don't tell them anything, had the same experience trying to buy tyres.

ME: G'day mate, I need a pair of 245-45-17 s.  What do you have and what are they worth…..ah I mean cost?

THEM: Ok, what sort of car is it for ?

ME: Does that matter ?  

THEM: well I need to know whether they will fit

ME: but I only asked for a price on tyres

THEM: Ok, what size rims are you putting them on ? (a sensible question at last)

ME: 17 by 9 

THEM: what did you say they are going on ?

ME: a street car

and so it goes………..

I don't go into the butcher and ask for a steak and get……"what are you going to do with it ?"

yeah I love when they get angry because you won't tell them what car they're going on.. why do they need to know about the car to machine some rotors? they really just need to know minimum thickness

I think the reason for asking "what car?" is to ensure the load and speed ratings are correct. They would be trying to protect themselves from liability if incorrect spec. tyres are used and cause an accident. It's still no excuse for getting agro with a customer if they don't want to answer a question.

yeah I love when they get angry because you won't tell them what car they're going on.. why do they need to know about the car to machine some rotors? they really just need to know minimum thickness

I did mention the minimum tolerance to them with the rears before they machined them. 

It just annoys me when people try it on just because you own a particular make of car.

From now on when I have to get quote', I own a Hillman Imp!  :rolleyes:

I think the reason for asking "what car?" is to ensure the load and speed ratings are correct. They would be trying to protect themselves from liability if incorrect spec. tyres are used and cause an accident. It's still no excuse for getting agro with a customer if they don't want to answer a question.

I can understand this question to a point, because there are people that just ring up and ask for "4 tyres for my 64 EH " and these days with those big 4WDs that have sports tyres and therefore different load ratings. But when you know the tyres you want ?

I think its just a perceived " he has plenty of money" that I am trying to avoid.   I just want an honest price before divulging what they are for.

There are some good tyre guys out there and possibly on PFA so my VENT was not meant to offend, its just what annoys me.  Maybe my answer should be "sports car, SUV, family sedan etc".  This way they get the info they want without revealing the "Make"

I went with a work mate to lunch, she said she wanted to go to the dry cleaners to get her wedding dress cleaned... Blah blah cost so much clean dress.... Blah blah... Box with ribbon to put dress in $140...??.. I said: what you realise you are paying $140 for a cardboard box? Oh its acid free the guy says... She paid.

Peoples perseption can be odd can't it.. My daily drive is a 23 year old BMW 325, which if I was to sell to tomorrow would be lucky to get $10k for. Yet one of my colleagues was recently giving me a bit of stick about driving a Beemer, when they drive a brand new, off the showroom floor, fully optioned SS ute! This thing would have cost more than I spent on my 911 let alone the Beemer!

The key is, always cry poor ^^... No matter what! :lol:

What ground my gears today; breaking one of my favourite riedel glasses... I was SO damn frustrated, just because "of course" it had to be the least available one out of the collection.

Neighbours got quotes for new curtains. Nearly doubled when the BMW was in the driveway against when the Toyota was there. It's not just a P tax.

Being in the window furnishings game since Adam was a boy.

Price can double on base pricing easily depending on fabric, style, finish, quality, etc................

Very hard for the consumer to be correctly educated as there are way too many variables.

The general consumer is ignorant of what they are really purchasing. Emotional decisions lead the way and bottom line price is often the winner.

That's why we have become a country of cheap imports and have destroyed manufacturing (with the help of the unions) in this country.

Actually in Howard Springs (Darwin) and fly back to Newcastle tonight for three weeks holiday (and the German Car Show).  Lots planned but now on antibiotics so can't enjoy a quiet refresher until finished :( (will have to look up the reasons for this).

Up to date with my tetanus shots now…... :D

Initially thought it was the dog that belonged to the twit across the road.

Turns out that the dog belongs to the "other" across the road neighbour. She was horrified that her dog would do this, and was scared for her two young children.  So the right thing will be done.  The dog is a big bull terrier but is less than a year old, so may be able to be trained…..hopefully.  Wouldn't like to see it destroyed for one mistake.

Time will tell.

Have already reimbursed my medical expenses

Why can't people just go when the traffic light turns green?

Green = Go

Simple !

Really I swear people look at the green light and their brain goes:

Oh look a green light

Isn't that pretty

wait it means something

what does it mean again?

Hmmm

Green light where there was a Red light...

Oh Green means go!

Wait, how do I go again?

Something about the right foot.....

Not everything has to be a race Orion! Shhhesh people need to just calm down, relax... take a chill pill!

:P