Always been well treated at P dealers (no matter how deliberately badly dressed I've been), can't say the same for Mercedes dealers though. It gave me great pleasure going back to the rude MB dealer in my new Merc & telling him I was looking for another one for SWMBO but he wouldn't be getting my business. Never judge a book by its cover, very very bad mistake, I'm sure you will never forget your rude experience Chris like most consumers.

I had a similar thing with a local Holden dealer and I did pretty much the same thing.  The salesman gave me some crap about queue jumping simply because I was getting an employee discount through GM.  A few phone calls found the same car at a different dealer and thats where the sale went. I also went back to show off my purchase from their competitor down the road.  The sales manager was very interested to hear about my dealer experience.

So I guess I can't afford their cars if I have two young kids and happen to wear jeans?

Yeah the Melbourne Porsche Center has always been very very nice to me. Pity their 997 is overpriced or I'll buy from them

What shop was that? Duttons?

You'll find the same in Watch shops... they are all craning their necks to see what watch you are wearing before they show you a nice one.

I know someone who showed up in shorts, t-shirt and thongs to test drive a Bentley flying spur. The young sales guy didn't seem too interested until the sales manager came racing past to shake hands lol

i'm trying to buy an oil cooler kit and fan out of the states currently - and they won't accept anything apart from wire transfer (no credit card or paypal) and then charge $30 for using wire transfer!!!

Yeah the Melbourne Porsche Center has always been very very nice to me. Pity their 997 is overpriced or I'll buy from them

What shop was that? Duttons?

You'll find the same in Watch shops... they are all craning their necks to see what watch you are wearing before they show you a nice one.

Orion,

Just because their asking price is ridiculous doesn't mean that's what you will pay, make a low offer & leave yourself some room to go up but be prepared to walk away. My experience is I haven't paid the asking price for the 4 Porsches I have bought, the first one was from an independent, 10% less. The next 3 came from 2 different Porsche centres in Sydney, 16%, 14% & 13% off sticker price.

You hear stories like this all the time and it always puzzles me. You're just a salesman!! Not that anyone has any right to think their s**t doesn't stink but at least someone with talent or qualifications has something to hang their hat on. But a salesman, and a car salesman at that!!

Mind you, I've probably just answered my own question..

like the saleman who laughed at me when I said I wanted a 997 with rear parking sensors......

yeah it's a Porsche... so what if I want parking sensors? it's a modern car right? not like I want to put parking sensors on a classic car.

Even then..you are the salesman ! I am the customer !

Walks into a well known exotic car dealer in Victoria with my two boys (1 & 4yo). The older salesman just stands in the back corner of the showroom watching my every move. He sends the younger one out to see what I want. 'just browsing.... Love the GT2. Is it for sale? How much?'.

Younger salesman responded 'not for sale, one of the directors owns it and it is worth $750,000'

And he walked off and sat back at his desk, not another word or glance or smile or have a good day.

Still, older dude still stood staring.... Probably waiting for my boys to pee on the door handle or something.

So I guess I can't afford their cars if I have two young kids and happen to wear jeans?

I heard a story while doing sales training years ago. Semi trailer pulled up outside Porsche on the Gold Coast and out hopped a bloke in his 50s wearing stubbies, singlet and work boots and started having a wander around. Everyone avoided eye contact for a good 10 minutes, then a young inexperienced bloke sees him and comes over to chat and treats him like any other customer. The old bloke buys a GT3 and a Boxster S for his Mrs. Turns out he owned the trucking company and had too many drivers call in sick so he had to go on the road for the day. Three years later and the young bloke became the sales manager and all the other salesmen were slowly replaced.

Or the 25 odd year old bloke that worked with my old man in the 70s. Went into Holden to buy a four door Monaro and no one would take him seriously until he dumped a gym bag full of cash on their desk.

Mate of mine's old man went in to buy an MX5 back when they first came out. Mazda dealer at Brookvale at the time let him wander around the showroom for 15 minutes and wouldn't speak to him.  He got the irrits and walked over the road and bought a capri turbo.  Pulled into the mazda dealer driveway, tooted the horn until the salesguys looked at him, gave them the finger and drove off in it.

Wouldn't have helped that he would have gone in there in a T shirt, 'happy pants' and crazy hair.  But he did run a marketing and graphic design/internet company at the time.

(he should have found another mazda dealer as the capri was junk lol but he loved it).

Aussie, yeah, that REALLY annoys me when that happens. I just wish all those women would keep their clothes on when I stumble out of the car, drag two kids out the back and a pram from the front seat. Not forgetting the scooter and nappy bag in the boot. Damn I must look so sexy

On the car salespeople responses............

I bought 2 cars last year, one over the phone and one in person. For the one in person I pulled up in my DD at the time (Mazda cx7), well dressed and was not approached by anyone. Second try, same dealership, pulled up in the 911 in jeans and a 'T' and had 2 salesmen come out to talk to me about my car - only too happy for me to test drive anything?

I don't have any expectations when dealing with most salesmen, car salesmen in particular (no offence to any car salespeople, my brother and father both work/worked in the industry). The experience is generally frustrating and much harder than it needs to be!

Aussie, yeah, that REALLY annoys me when that happens. I just wish all those women would keep their clothes on when I stumble out of the car, drag two kids out the back and a pram from the front seat. Not forgetting the scooter and nappy bag in the boot. Damn I must look so sexy

:lol:

So hot...

Lol

Car sales VENT!

Northern suburbs VW dealership (yes we do have those here).

Dressed like a bum admitadely. Walked around the showroom and waited at the admin counter for 10 minutes.

Plenty of eye contact and no approaches. I am eventually asked by the sales manager if I'm ok and I proceed to tell him that I would never consider buying a car here and then walk out.

People really judge too much.

Nick Theod.. in Nth Melbourne has a sales woman working there who I wanted to bitch slap! When looking at Porsches she dealt with me. She is one of those types of women who will look down your nose at you, has this condescending bitchy attitude but then you'll see her talk to men and behaves the opposite! When I was considering their 911, I was about to refuse to deal with her as I didn't feel comfortable dealing with her. I'm sure she thought I was a tyre kicker, actually she did think that - erm 2 cars in 6 months she misjudged!

Stupid knee. Week 5 into my running program and now my knee decides it is now time "again" to get sore. Free ran 20 minutes yesterday without a problem, this morning it is a bit achy. Hopefully it will be OK by Monday. Stupid old age. 

and still can't afford a porsche .. grumble .. grumble.. old man syndrome. get off my lawn. need more coffee.