Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

964 Cabrio Tiptronic WIDE BODY

I reckon the widebody 964 is sensational.. But, the price seems well worth it. Not sure what country of origin is.. assuming UK?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4025974?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&wt.z_driver=Email_SearchAlert

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%209.30.4

I wonder what Autohaus think about someone ripping off their add!! Plagiarism! 

As most of you know I'm selling one of my air-cooled Porsche's, I've had some good interest in my yellow Carrera 3.0 but haven't sold it yet. what I'm thinking of doing is putting up my 76 turbo for sale as well to see witch one sells first, Ill be happy to keep either one as i don't need 2 ac Porsche's 

So before i do the carsales thing here it is... 1976 930 Turbo 

Californian car professionally converted to RHD in the late 90's with a rebuilt 1980 euro 3.3 turbo engine in it 

Details as per COA are

VIN 9306800180
Model 930 Turbo Coupe- California
Year 1976 Built December 1975
Colour Cockney Brown
Interior Leather Brown/Beige, Seat Inlay Perforated

Delivered California, USA
Options 220= Limited Slip Differential
409= Sports Seats 650= Sunroof 

The rest of the car remains mostly original including the gearbox... if anyone here is interested give me a call on 0417369649 regards James. $109K

CIMG2925%20copy_zpsdboku5u6.jpgCIMG2930%20copy_zpsyr8jo9od.jpg

As most of you know I'm selling one of my air-cooled Porsche's, I've had some good interest in my yellow Carrera 3.0 but haven't sold it yet. what I'm thinking of doing is putting up my 76 turbo for sale as well to see witch one sells first, Ill be happy to keep either one as i don't need 2 ac Porsche's 

So before i do the carsales thing here it is... 1976 930 Turbo 

Californian car professionally converted to RHD in the late 90's with a rebuilt 1980 euro 3.3 turbo engine in it 

Details as per COA are

VIN 9306800180
Model 930 Turbo Coupe- California
Year 1976 Built December 1975
Colour Cockney Brown
Interior Leather Brown/Beige, Seat Inlay Perforated

Delivered California, USA
Options 220= Limited Slip Differential
409= Sports Seats 650= Sunroof 

The rest of the car remains mostly original including the gearbox... if anyone here is interested give me a call on 0417369649 regards James. $119K

CIMG2925%20copy_zpsdboku5u6.jpgCIMG2930%20copy_zpsyr8jo9od.jpg

you certainly have some cars with some interesting variables James - and they both look great!

The bigger problem is that my wife loves the C3...

I think you know what needs to happen......  :ph34r:

You're lucky I am out of brownie points, garage space and more importantly money. I would love that C3.

The problem is, in our market they all look like this though:

09-1978-Porsche-924-Down-On-the-Junkyard 

Unfortunately in our market they are cheap second hand (as is anything except a 911 and strangely the Panamera!!?) so maintenance and love can easily go out the window.... has affected many a 928...

James is that  930 like proper Eastenders Geeza Cockney Brown ..cos it my go with my accent , but more importantly does it come wiv the bankroll from the last job, I bet its got front end damage from them smash and grab jobs :)   The rozzers never had a chance catchin such a good looking motor .

James is that  930 like proper Eastenders Geeza Cockney Brown ..cos it my go with my accent , but more importantly does it come wiv the bankroll from the last job, I bet its got front end damage from them smash and grab jobs :)   The rozzers never had a chance catchin such a good looking motor .

I'm keeping the bankrolls :ph34r: & defiantly no front end damage from smash n grabs, to good for that... she's a well fit motor ya diamond geeza  

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1982/SSE-AD-3996752/?Cr=7

This is an interesting opinion from the seller of this SC with one of the nicest bodykits ever fitted to a 911, so you know they are an expert...

"...For those who dislike or aren't looking at the possibility of a LHD 911, I can offer a couple of reasons to consider it. Firstly, this is how they were all built! Aussie delivered 911s were converted from LHD at the factory..."

he said a "couple of reasons".......but never got passed the first absurd one.

Even if this was true, I'd be happier with Hans working on the conversion than Barry. (sorry to all the competent Barry's on PFA) 

if it hasn't happened by now mate, it's not going to.

It already has! Early 928s and 928 GTS, 968 CS, even standard 968s, 944 turbo, all are sought after now and thanks to the wacky price rises of 911s, the prices are increasing - $47k for a 300 + km 928 S4!! $90k asking for a 968 CS..... but they have to be good cars to warrant and demand good prices - ie, survivor cars :)

It already has! Early 928s and 928 GTS, 968 CS, even standard 968s, 944 turbo, all are sought after now and thanks to the wacky price rises of 911s, the prices are increasing - $47k for a 300 + km 928 S4!! $90k asking for a 968 CS..... but they have to be good cars to warrant and demand good prices - ie, survivor cars :)

A rising tide lifts all boats ANF, the wrecks will stay at the bottom with the fish.

The only manual 996 C4S on the market. It has made someone very happy. Anyone here?996C4S.jpg

Perhaps @ Arnage has the inside mail on that.  Going by the advice he gave me a few months back, he seems to have a thing for 996 C2's (assuming 996 4S fits that mould)

I must disclose that I have not driven a 996 4S (the only P car I have ever driven (first drive two weeks ago) is my own 996 turbo.  I acknowledge the referenced 996 4S has ultra   low Km's on the clock, BUT isn't that one heck of a price to pay for a 996 4S.  (Living in the past, but are we heading back to the future, given 18 months ago we all could of driven a 996 GT3 with 5 digits on the odometer out of a private sellers driveway whilst dropping the same coin as that 4S if boost is not your thing). As I see it, in today's market that appears to me to be either a far right side of brain emotional purchase of a non turbo lover who loves 996's or a collector purchase to round out their collection of 996's, I can't see any box on a logical  side by side paper box ticking analysis besides low km's that  the 996 4S ticks over a good conditioned 996 turbo given that purchase price is essentially neutralised

I also note:

I garaged a 996 turbo interstate (total cash outlay to have the car registered in my name and in my garage)  for less than that NSW drive away price price a few months ago and I see advertised prices have dropped since then and 996 Turbo's still don't appear to be moving very quickly if at all.  Yes mine has x4 (Circa 60km) the km's travelled, but to my surprise I do have excellent service books as well when I looked at them after my first drive (eg Porsche dealer every 5k km / correct intervals / not too much time between services and up to 48k all services  done at Porsche dealers.  The car in the flesh exceeded my expectations condition wise if you assumed price is correlated to condition. I may be suffering from 996 artic silver "P" envy, but give me 8 hours to detail my car and add a  replacement chin spoiler and I reckon I can have my car looking not much different from that 4S  condition wise when looking at the exterior  and interior and viewing it from a distance of a 1m or so.

Low km's for a car of that vintage that is purchased for the purposes of driving it and racking up more kilometers that what it is used to could throw up some unsuspected issues and may require one to reach into their pocket as well post purchase, getting you even closer to a 996 turbo in price.   Eg I was surprised in a recent chat with an owner who brought a low km 996 turbo and the issues he had with his and unbudgeted coin that he had to forked out to address issues that he put down to low km's related issues whilst he was on his mod journey (yes adding extra boost, changing timing and keeping your right foot down when it is not used to it does sort out aged parts that haven't be replaced).  Acknowledge that that  4S is unlikely to see anything other than a Genuine Porsche part on it, but rubber components age and cars of that vintage need attention in terms of replacement parts if not already done (Eg Tranny, Engine mounts, hoses. suspension bushings, clutch components) which adds additional cost if they have not been replaced as preventative maintenance items / items to freshen up / tighten up the feel of the car.  I reckon any current 996  owner who hasn't had at least the original tranny and engine mounts replaced even with stock ones (go 997 genuine replacement) is leaving some off the showroom floor driveability / tightness on the table. 

Given what appears to be now a couple of decent 996 turbo's available that haven't sold, I would of thought with some prudent negotiating and persistence, one could get into a 996 turbo at not much of a price differential to that 4S which appears  to have you in a better overall package compared to that 4S in terms of a sports performance car. 

Each to their own, but I reckon I will outlay the same coin all up on mine with an exhaust and a tune for the cost of garaging that 996 4S (assuming advertised price = purchase price) if that car was registered outside of NSW.  For sheer driving pleasure on weekends (that 4S at a guess is going to see little weekday traffic) and with dollars neutralized,  I know which set of keys I would be grabbing / keeping between that 4S and a turbo.  I would also expect that the 4S even maintaining extremely low km's going forward, would incur greater depreciation or less appreciation if it goes the other way than a good conditioned turbo down the track.  Eg What can a 996 4S deliver over a 996 turbo?   Not much, expect for a better chin spoiler that doesn't need to be considered as a consumable as I see it.   What can a 996 turbo deliver over a 996 4S?  Would appear plenty.  eg speed, a bit of boost feeling with extra horses on tap and a better rear end look based on strutting around wider shoes and spoiler are obvious points just for starters.

Yes, I am bias towards boosted cars, and for a daily / weekend street ride, give me a 996 turbo over a non boosted 996 4S with ultra low KM'S car all day everyday with 100 extra horses stock on offer  (even 150 to 180 extra horses with a tune and exhaust) especially if the price differential is what I would consider very marginal given we are talking essentially 6 figures

Edited by smit2100

An interesting personal perspective Smit. TBH I think the pricing on this car is somewhat speculative given the ultra low km traveled, and I have no doubt the condition also is reflective of this. Having said this, in the UK where I live 996's are seeing a real surge in value right now, and buyers seem to be willing to pay big $$$ for cars that have obviously lived in cotton wool. You may be right in saying that low km cars 'can' have issues just like other cars, but low km's are still the best indicator of overall condition (sure parts wear when sitting still - but they wear faster when in use). I personally would buy a car with 10,000kms over a similar car with 60,000kms everyday of the week, given all else is equal.

You have to also appreciate that there are different Porsche buyers for different types of experiences. I know you have only driven one Porsche (your 996TT) but there are many thousands of owners and enthusiasts that would never own a blown 911 (me being one)! Porsche is well known for turbo engines, but they are even more famous for their naturally aspirated cars. They are all different driving experiences, and although a turbo provides a great surge of acceleration, it couldn't hope to deliver the same kind of visceral driving emotion of a GT3 (for example). The 911 legend was built on it's class leading agility, response and tactility, not just pure speed. I don't mean to play down your amazing car, but on the right road, in the right conditions, that 996 4S may be much more engaging, emotive and rewarding to certain people.

I think the value of a car is more linked to the driving and ownership experience one is seeking and covets, rather than it's comparison to other models. The price of a mint 911SC isn't necessarily commensurate to the price of a 930 Turbo. It could in fact be more...

Whether or not that particular car sells anywhere near the asking price... I guess the market will decide.

Seriously - Boost VS No Boost

Boost wins every time unless your on the track ..every one wants boost at the traffic lights 

A world without Boost - The worlds gone mad!! 

Lets face it all these cars are shit load faster than we will get to drive em and probably shit load faster than most of us have the skills to drive.

Sideways with boost is the most referenced combination by owners me thinks

I seriously think its about time there was PFA drag race..